I guess I figure, not every client matches w/every artist. They SO did not mesh. She struck me as a harpy..a bit of "lookit me on tv putting this guy in his place" like she was far superior and more knowledgeable than he....

Late to the party but I caught the rerun.

It appeared to me that she had changed her mind about getting a tattoo and was determined to do whatever it took to be told to take a hike.

I think it was pretty funny that Tatu Baby is tattooing Dave Navarro, and thinks that somehow people will care about the tattoo she did, when they meet Dave Navarro. He is a legit rockstar, and you are on the tattoo version of the Real World. Not to mention that Mr Navarro has been tattooed by some real tattooers, so hypothetically if I was talking tattoos with him, I would probably gravitate towards the legends who have tattooed him.

There is a thing I noticed that makes me laugh. During the first season, the intro is "Some of the best tattoo artists in the world blablabla...", then from season 2 it goes "Some of the best tattoo artists in the country blablabla...".

I think they realized those so called artists are trash (well most of them, not Shane O'Neill obviously).

no idea is this is true, but have heard through the grapevine that talented but young tattooers applied and were rejected for being too good. essentially, they didn't one one or two being so much better than the dregs they typically get on these shows. and probably they didn't have enough drama to be interesting on TV. Though I don't doubt that most folks with any degree of skill wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. And yet here I am, watching it every week like a sucker.

A friend of mine got in touch and said he's considering being on the show. He knows how much I hate it, so he thought I'd be the perfect person to talk to about doing it. We talked for a few hours via text and I couldn't, at the end, tell him NOT to do it.

I was going to go with 'no one will take you seriously if you go on it' then I realized the we as a community/industry/whatever seem to make exception for the the judges, Shane O'neill, Jime Litwalk and whoever else we decide is 'ok' but the rest of them are a joke.

I was going to go with 'they're going to make you look like a jerk' because it's easy for me to say that, since my livelihood doesn't depend on tattooing. Lalo said that after being on S2 he had a significant increase in interest for appointments, which Im sure is true for even the worst of the bunch. So internet commentators (like me. Just like me) can comment on you looking silly, but you're going to be too busy tattooing and making a little bit of coin while it's there to be made.

I dunno. I think the show is a joke and I hate it, but I couldn't think of a reason for a young tattooer who wants a little adventure and some extra coin NOT to be on it other than for selfish, shallow reasons. So when someone who hates it says 'why not'... I'm curious to what he'll do.

Some dickhead from this season now lives in Portland, a burger joint is trying to drum up business by showing the show on a big screen and having him attend weekly. The funny thing is they thought the tattoo shop a couple doors down would be stoked to come in and watch the show, they got an invitation to bring the whole crew. The subsequent amount of f bombs that followed, oh dear. I think the best line out of the tirade, was "why don't you stick to making Milkshakes or better yet actually stop by our shop sometime and you can see how a real shop runs, we make money, not drama.

Don't want to start a new thread for this but I think it relates to "inkmaster" culture enough to make sense posting it here...

Has anyone seen the Tattoodo website? I feel like it has the potential to do more harm than good.

It kind of undermines the tattooer who has to tattoo the design and the whole process of getting tattooed. I don't get it. I know Angelique Houtkamp will commission designs for people who want custom tattoos in her style, but can't get to Amsterdam, but I think that is different in the sense that people come to her because of work that she has done, and published, as opposed to browsing through a catalog of what seems to be art school students and 1-2 year tattooers (didn't browse through the whole catalog) and hope you get something good. Are people that dumb that they think just because Ami James is on the website that somehow its the way to go.

It kind of undermines the tattooer who has to tattoo the design and the whole process of getting tattooed. I don't get it. I know Angelique Houtkamp will commission designs for people who want custom tattoos in her style, but can't get to Amsterdam, but I think that is different in the sense that people come to her because of work that she has done, and published, as opposed to browsing through a catalog of what seems to be art school students and 1-2 year tattooers (didn't browse through the whole catalog) and hope you get something good. Are people that dumb that they think just because Ami James is on the website that somehow its the way to go.

Look at this profile, this can't be serious. Can it?

http://www.tattoodo.com/profile/55652