@deadsp0t I agree with you' date=' but in my opinion, I think personal meanings for tattoos should be just that, personal. And who knows, maybe they just wanted a tattoo because it looks cool, but the show needs them to make up some BS meaning.[/quote']

Agreed 100%, it is tv after all right? Same goes for any reality tv, there is no such thing.

Ever seen those repo shows? I used to repo cars here in NC, right down the road from lizard lick towing(TV show guys), I personally know a few ppl that have been paid to participate. Those show literally piss me off because they are so fake and half the stuff they do will get you sued, so I know kinda how a tattooer might feel, I don't watch these shows, even though I liked repossessing cars. I feel like anyone who has pride in their work would/should hate these types of shows.

Agreed 100%, it is tv after all right? Same goes for any reality tv, there is no such thing.

Ever seen those repo shows? I used to repo cars here in NC, right down the road from lizard lick towing(TV show guys), I personally know a few ppl that have been paid to participate. Those show literally piss me off because they are so fake and half the stuff they do will get you sued, so I know kinda how a tattooer might feel, I don't watch these shows, even though I liked repossessing cars. I feel like anyone who has pride in their work would/should hate these types of shows.

I'm not sure how much they should hate them. I mean, it makes a lot more sense to develop a love-hate relationship with them. It opens the people who watch them up to the concept that not all tattoos are the same. Maybe they aren't getting exposure to the greatest tattoo examples by watching the show, but when they hear the critiques, when they hear the challenges, when they hear about the different elements of a tattoo, they're being taught what goes into truly great tattoos. And if y'all want public education about what makes a good tattoo so people stop letting scratchers work on them, then why not bloody let shows educate people on what to look for. And I'm sorry, but it's better people go to some of the tattooers on Ink Master than let their brother's girlfriend's sister's best friend's cousin who got a "tat gun" for his birthday tattoo them. Look at the latest episode's theme. Placement. I will bet you at least a few people learned from that episode that you can't just put any tattoo anywhere on the body and have it look good.

On the show, you aren't even seeing their normal work. How many of you have gone and looked at these people's portfolios? Take Tatu Baby from seasons 2 and 3. If you look at her Tumblr, you see some solid work in the things people go to her to do. Her Day of the Dead girls, her feminine designs, they're rather beautiful. Joey Hamilton does some solid work when it comes to the style people go to him for. Maybe he's not the very best at pin-ups (I saw one with some messed up fingers looking at his portfolio) but he can do a kick-ass photorealistic tiger. Not every tattoo an artist is going to do is going to be great. And tattoo artists have to tattoo in order to get better. People need practice.

And even the best artist will slip up when put under time constraints and forced to tattoo a way or design they may not be comfortable with. I mean, you get Tim Hendricks and tell him he has to do a new-school phoenix in six hours with minimal detail with a nit-picky client. Do you think that's going to be the best tattoo he's ever done or is it going to be lacking somewhere? *cue people who stupidly believe it would look as good as something from Tim Hendricks's normal portfolio*

Part of the real issue with the show is the sense that the producers don't care about having good tattoos produced and neither do the contestants. When it's their turn to hand out skulls, they don't think about the fact the "canvases" have to live with these tattoos. They think about what is going to trip up everyone else.

I think when they interview and screen test them they pick out everyone with the wankiest attitude ever to go on the show . I don't care about the canvases they get the tattoos the deserve. Go to a real shop and pay for your tattoo for fucks sake.

It's hard to feel sorry for someone who has seen some of the God-awful tattoos done on this show (and Best Ink) and is still so desperate for attention (and free tattoos) that they go on the show anyway. Especially the first few episodes where there are usually 3-4 tattooers who are dreadful. If they get a mediocre tattoo they should consider themselves lucky.

I feel bad for the "canvases" when a contestant plans to slam them with a bad tattoo for strategy (geez, does anyone actually use that term outside this show?) but it's at least a story for them to say, "Yeah, I got this piece of shit from XYZ on Season 3 of Ink Masters and he was thrown off the show two episodes later." So there is that. Odd sorts of bragging rights.

If they didn't get it lasered or fixed, an option is to add a banner under it that reads, "As seen on Ink Masters".

Honestly theres no such thing as a free tattoo people need to learn that . Its part of the drama though , people love to see someone getting violated like that person that got the swirly horrible churned up thing from that guy with the sore back.

I think when they interview and screen test them they pick out everyone with the wankiest attitude ever to go on the show . I don't care about the canvases they get the tattoos the deserve. Go to a real shop and pay for your tattoo for fucks sake.

You don't know a person's motivation for getting a tattoo on the show. Maybe some of them see it as they've always wanted one but have never been able to afford it so they got an opportunity and took it. Maybe some really want a memorial piece but can't afford it. Maybe some people just want to be on television and are willing to do anything for the chance. Any way you slice it, NOBODY deserves a bad tattoo. Nobody deserves to have something on their skin that is ugly. It does a disservice to the art to have people walk around with bad tattoos. Part of the stigma against tattoos is people laughing at the bad ones.

Honestly theres no such thing as a free tattoo people need to learn that . Its part of the drama though , people love to see someone getting violated like that person that got the swirly horrible churned up thing from that guy with the sore back.

"There's no such thing as a free lunch." It's a core principle in economics. But it doesn't exactly mean what you think it does. These people aren't paying in money to the artist, but they are paying in their time, their possible lost wage, and the cost of transportation just like if they went to a normal shop and also with their likeness being used on television, their privacy, and their perception. The cost of getting these tattoos is likely higher than that of the average four-to-six-hour tattoo. You just don't see it.

Also, I don't know a person sadistic enough to laugh at that swirl. All the people I know would feel bad for both the artist and his "canvas".

Yeah it's true, nobody deserves a bad tattoo. Tell that to the artist that ruined that man's arm with that swirl. I don't understand why someone would go on a reality show and get tattooed by an artist out of their element, with a time limit, tattooing something that they don't normally tattoo or a style they've never tattooed. The clients have to know all this information before they do it, and if they don't, that's dishonest on the shows part. If the clients do know about these fact before getting tattooed, then they assume the repercussions of a bad tattoo. The same goes for agreeing to appear on television. I mean seriously, it's not like these people get kidnapped, get a bag put over their head, and when it's pulled off, they're on Ink Master against their will to get a tattoo. These people chose to do this! I don't feel sorry for any of the "canvases" that get a terrible tattoo.

Letting people get bad tattoos on TV cannot be good for the tattoo industry or the long term life/credibility of the show.

I know it creates drama and possible short term ratings, but the show is called Ink Masters. Casting low skilled, inexperienced or ill tattoo artists, will eventually kill the show. But maybe producers don't care about what happens that far down the road. Maybe they are just looking towards this seasons or this months ratings.

Q: What happens to those people on Spike TV’s “Ink Master” who get bad tattoos on the show? Do the better people on the show fix them or are they stuck with what they’ve got?

A: “The artists appear on the show with the understanding they will be presented with difficult challenges, including time constraints that may be difficult to meet,” explained Spike TV publicist. “Likewise, the Human Canvasses understand they are being tattooed in a competition setting and things can go wrong. As much as we’d like to see a great tattoo each and every time, the reality is, not everyone leaves the show happy – this is part of the construct of the show that everyone agreed to at the outset.”

Q: What happens to those people on Spike TV’s “Ink Master” who get bad tattoos on the show? Do the better people on the show fix them or are they stuck with what they’ve got?

A: “The artists appear on the show with the understanding they will be presented with difficult challenges, including time constraints that may be difficult to meet,” explained Spike TV publicist. “Likewise, the Human Canvasses understand they are being tattooed in a competition setting and things can go wrong. As much as we’d like to see a great tattoo each and every time, the reality is, not everyone leaves the show happy – this is part of the construct of the show that everyone agreed to at the outset.”

So irresponsible its scary . I wonder how Pecker and Nunez feel about this , they just seem happy to get paid in the long run

Nunez doesn't seem to care.

Chris Nuñez Talks Ink Masters, Tattoos, and Human Canvasses

Chris Nuñez Talks Ink Masters, Tattoos, and Human Canvasses

How do they get the people on the show that get tattooed?

They call them human canvasses. They sign up to get free tattoos, and it's just a luck of the draw whether they get a good one or not. Personally, I'd rather pay for it than gamble on some shit that's on me forever, but we shot in Jersey, so there was no shortage of volunteers.

Anybody end up with terrible tattoos?

Let's just say that some contestants were weaker and they got weaned out right away. But there was some real talent on there as well, and some people got a couple thousand buck tattoos for free.

So irresponsible its scary . I wonder how Pecker and Nunez feel about this , they just seem happy to get paid in the long run

The only thing irresponsible is the people volunteering. I dont think its the shows responsibility to look after these poeople. They should know what the deal is. Plus some of them get a tattoo they are plenty happy with for free.

and btw, if you really want to get worked up over a tattoo show then watch the tattoos titans one with the Omni james.

This show is fucking joke. I've watched a few episodes and am amazed that they let some of the artists tattoo other people. What I really find hilarious about this show is when the judges tell the artists their work overall is good when it clearly is not. Miya Bailey is an idiot and in my opinion, is not a good tattooer at all. I had no idea who he was, then I looked him up and some of his work and pretty much laughed for a good two minutes...his shit is terrible.

I'd like to know where they found Jayme Foxx and why they decided to make her a host...she serves absolutely no purpose on the show. The other female that serves as a judge is almost as worthless as Jayme is...I was really surprised Bob Tyrrell attached his name to this steaming cow patty.

In reply to the folks talking about that "swirl":

The worst part about that tattoo, aside from the tattoo itself, is the fact that that asshole "artist" has been tattooing for 20yrs. Think about that for a second. 20 years! That's about as long as guys like Tim Hendricks and Chris Garver, etc have been tattooing. I don't think either one of those guys would even know how to fuck up a tattoo that bad.

Someone should have beat that guys ass and melted his machines down never to be used again. That was beyond disgraceful.

True Love Always (TLA) Tattoo Studio - DAVID BELL

That would be his portfolio. I haven't looked at it yet myself.

It irritated me they kept saying he was from Fredericksburg as if he works in Fredericksburg. His shop is in Occoquan. That's 40 minutes from Fredericksburg. He is closer to DC than he is to Fredericksburg. And I wouldn't believe he lives in Fredericksburg if he works in Occoquan.