I have watched every episode of Ink Master at least 2X. Some of the drama does get annoying, no doubt, but that is to be expected from TV, right?

The show has grown tremendously, IMO, since season 1, and it looks like they are going to be a lot more strict going forward. At least I hope so, because, while I'm not going to bag on any of the artists (not here anyway) some of them clearly have no business being involved in a competition for $100K.

I have watched every episode of Ink Master at least 2X. Some of the drama does get annoying, no doubt, but that is to be expected from TV, right?

The show has grown tremendously, IMO, since season 1, and it looks like they are going to be a lot more strict going forward. At least I hope so, because, while I'm not going to bag on any of the artists (not here anyway) some of them clearly have no business being involved in a competition for $100K.

I agree. I understand the point behind a competition, but they should make it a competition between really great artists, not a mixed bag of tattooers. And I get there could be the slight possibility that some of the not-so-great ones could improve over the course of the show, but that seems like something that would be few and far between.

It was nice to see the judges talk about this during the show and do something about it by eliminating 2 people this week and flat out saying there are only a few artists that are doing well.

It was nice to see the judges talk about this during the show and do something about it by eliminating 2 people this week and flat out saying there are only a few artists that are doing well.

Agreed. I'm guessing Lydia and King Ruck will be the next two to depart, followed by Melissa and/or Gentle Jay.

To me, it looks like the final four are going to be Sausage, Halo, Matti, and James. Although at this point I'm only willing to call Sausage a definite.

They do a great job getting some awesome and knowledgeable guest judges (Freddy Corbin last week!)' date=' but they also get their fair share of shit. I wouldn't say Rob Zombie is any worse to judge than CC Sabathhia. It is what it is, I suppose.[/quote']

What's disappointing is that Rob would participate.

It was actually interesting seeing Nunez disagree with Freddy Corbin on the last episode about the quality of Sausage's tattoo. I thought it was a great tattoo. I remember seeing Nunez' work on Miami Ink and not being impressed a LOT of the time. I'd like to see him actually have to do a lot of the shit they throw at the contestants and not flip his lid.

Freddy Corbin looked like he had his comments well edited . He looked like he was bored out his head and wanted to kill them all. Why is he called Sausage get a proper name ffs. They are all shit.

Honestly, based on appearance and how some of these artists conduct themselves on the show, I'd probably not consider getting anything done by 90% of them. Sausage has done some real nice work on the shows I saw of this season, but I agree...get a real name.

Rob

I honestly believe that if Chris Nunez was a contestant on this show, he wouldn't get that far...his actual tattooing is not on par with how good he thinks his tattooing is. I haven't seen every piece of work he's done, but some of what I have seen is not great, at all.

He can probably still hold his own tattooing but really comes off as total elitist-scum on the show. Not that many of the contestants are great artists by any means. They're probably chosen by their douche factor (and going along with the format of the show) over any tattooing talent they may possess.

I actually thought Rob Zombie had some pretty valid things to contribute. It seemed to me like he maybe is a big art enthusiast. CC Sabathia and Hugh Jackman were a waste of a guest judge spot. Hugh Jackman looked like he had been asking his agent 10 minutes before getting there "what is this now? A tattoo competition? What the hell do I know about tattoos? Ok well let's make this quick."

He can probably still hold his own tattooing but really comes off as total elitist-scum on the show. Not that many of the contestants are great artists by any means. They're probably chosen by their douche factor (and going along with the format of the show) over any tattooing talent they may possess.

I'm sure he could, but he's not as great as he thinks he is.

I agree with you on the contestants...I think I can count on one hand the number of good tattooers that have competed over the course of the series. I always love it when one of them--during a specific challenge--says something to the effect of "this is my style, I'm going to knock it out of park", and completely falls flat after it's over.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually thought Rob Zombie had some pretty valid things to contribute.

His bell bottoms were not one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

After this most recent episode with the "hannya" mask.

How much weight should the actual drawing play into judging a tattoo. I thought much more, but that was just brushed aside because it had "solid application." While the elephant wasn't much better it didn't assault me as hard...

Who knows I may be wrong

Honestly, based on appearance and how some of these artists conduct themselves on the show, I'd probably not consider getting anything done by 90% of them. Sausage has done some real nice work on the shows I saw of this season, but I agree...get a real name.

Rob

I just found out his real name and it's Walter Franks, hence Sausage Franks.

After this most recent episode with the "hannya" mask.

How much weight should the actual drawing play into judging a tattoo. I thought much more, but that was just brushed aside because it had "solid application." While the elephant wasn't much better it didn't assault me as hard...

Who knows I may be wrong

Good question. I guess the ultimate ability is someone who can create unique original idea/designs that will transfer to a tattoo well, be able to draw it and be able to execute and apply the tattoo solidly.

Tough combination to find in the real world, never mind on a TV show competition that requires artists to tattoo across many different styles. Watching several seasons of the show, it seems the judges order of importance is executing, drawing, originality. I kind of agree with it since it is a tattoo competition.

I think the execution should be moved to second, some of these drawings are absolutely brutal. You can amazingly execute a shitty drawing, but then you are left with the awful drawing. I would highlight specifics, but countless examples have been shown over the past 3 (?) seasons of ink master.

It's funny I very much wanted to be a "canvas" on the show like 2 years ago, I am so glad I wasn't selected.

I think this weeks episode includes a challenge highlighting the artists ability to draw.

Yeah, sounds cool to be a canvas, but no way I would do it. Even it were down to the top 3-4, every artist has a preferred style and I want my tattoo to fall into the artists preference. I also would not want my artist to rush the tattoo to meet a time limit.