Anybody watch Epic Ink? I didn't make it through the whole show. The show itself is god-awful, and the tattoos are not epic, IMHO. The 'situations' are so contrived and awkward that it's actually uncomfortable to watch. The tattooers are trying so hard it's just painful. It would be really great if someone would create a show about tattoos that was actually about tattoos.

I feel that the target market are people with tattoos, so why not cater to that a little more than stamping the generic reality forumla onto it?

Just like Iron Chef isn't made for chefs, Cops isn't made for police officers, and Cake Boss isn't made for bakers, all of the mainstream tattoo reality shows aren't made for tattooers or tattooed people. They are made for mainstream reality show fans. I'm also making a distinction between people with tattoos and "tattooed people," as pretentious or exclusionary as that may seem.

Just like Iron Chef isn't made for chefs, Cops isn't made for police officers, and Cake Boss isn't made for bakers, all of the mainstream tattoo reality shows aren't made for tattooers or tattooed people. They are made for mainstream reality show fans. I'm also making a distinction between people with tattoos and "tattooed people," as pretentious or exclusionary as that may seem.

you're right...you do sound pretentious

you're right...you do sound pretentious

@smiling.politely is a long-term poster and tattooer who brings a lot of insight, intelligence, first-hand knowledge and experience to this forum and is dedicating his life to both getting and giving people good tattoos, and everything he said above is correct. Who are you again?

To clarify...

Example of a person with tattoos- a few Pinterest designs, maybe a few other things they might get after they learn a little bit more about tattooing, but think of tattoos as not much more than personal decoration at best, or a fashion accessory at worst. More of a fast-food mindset.

Example of a tattooed person- someone who, whether a tattooer or not, wants to know about tattooing a little bit, wants to know what makes a good tattoo (Beyond someone telling them "This person is good." They want to understand it themselves). May have goals of a full bodysuit, may only want half sleeves, but they care.

I said neither was better than the other, but when you talk about marketing things towards people into tattoos, you're not saying the same thing marketing towards the average tattoo client. Most of the millions of viewers they get are of the former category, not the latter. Which is fine. Most of the people I have the pleasure of tattooing are people with tattoos, not tattooed people. I treat them exactly the same, if not a bit nicer, hoping they come away with a bit of education, and perhaps appreciation of tattoos beyond an iPhone screen.

EDIT: Small addition... you wouldn't say the guy in front of you in line at Olive Garden is the same type of customer as a gourmand, or that frat douche hammering Natty Ices is the same as a trained sommelier.

I hadn't thought about it like that before but that's a fair point. I wish there were more Tattoo Age.. *sigh*

I know someone who works on this show behind the scenes. Apparently this upcoming season has contestants from former seasons that didn't get along ,"tattooing against each other". It's going to be even more about 'reality tv drama' and less about tattoos than it already has been. WTF?

The finale for last season hinted at this. WTF - my thoughts exactly. I guess to get the good stuff you've got to dig a little deeper than mainstream TV.

Ugh, I had a hard enough time watching the show before. I don't think I can handle an even more drama orientated one.

Hopefully my girlfriend doesn't know there's a new season coming, because I'm liable to turn into an alcoholic if I have to watch "Big Brother may or may not include actual tattoos".

I just saw the season opener for Ink Master. What a bunch of knuckle heads. The fake drama is just awful. I'm going to start watching it on Comcast "on demand" so I can fast forward through the preening idiots. It will also allow me to watch a 60 minute show in 30 minutes without missing anything. I've decided that I don't have any sympathy for the 'skins.' After all these seasons, they should know that they have about an 80% chance of getting a shitty tattoo, especially in the early weeks.

I didn't like how they went into a collaborative challenge right off - I like the offbeat flash challenge followed by the elimination - I wouldn't feel bad for the canvass either - I mean - its a free tattoo that you're gonna connect to the whole unique experience of being part of the show etc - might not be appealing to many here but anyway - those canvass know what they are getting into

edit: i'm gonna keep watching though - good enough entertainment for me

• 3 weeks later...
The drama is so fake and why do they think they even need it? It doesn't add any allure or make the show better. I'd think it would drive away potential clients, I would not want to do business with anyone who conducts themselves the way they appear to.

If an artist I went to acted ANYTHING like one of the jerks on these shows, I'd walk. Mid-tattoo if necessary and have someone else complete it. If I acted like that at work, I'd be gone before the end of the day. I've seen people being laid off on zero notice behave with more class. And if I had such a beef as the ones on the rivals shows have with each other I sure wouldn't put it on TV! Worse than Jerry Springer!

Anyone else have the recurring urge to punt Emily in the ham wallet?

Apparently no one has ever told Emily that if you are going to talk trash, you had better be able to back it up.

I get so sick of those losers saying "if you give me one more chance, I'll show you what I can do." You did show us what you can do and it's crap!

Anyone else have the recurring urge to punt Emily in the ham wallet?

me for sure ! she's a total asshole,and a crappy tattooer,

but then they have to give us one or two every season to dislike,good for ratings.

Apparently no one has ever told Emily that if you are going to talk trash, you had better be able to back it up.

I get so sick of those losers saying "if you give me one more chance, I'll show you what I can do." You did show us what you can do and it's crap!

I agree,they need to stop sniveling because of their crappy work !