I haven't seen the show but this bothers me hugely.

I've been tattooed by people who are fast and by people who are not so fast, but the key is that they're always working at their own pace and the result of that has been a fantastic tattoo. I'd rather endure 6 hours of pain and pay twice as much than spend 3 hours in the chair and end up with a rushed piece of shit on my body.

I think at the root of all my reservations about the show is the time thing. I just wonder if the people getting tattooed understand that the time limit changes how well their tatoo may be done? And furthermore, don't the tattooers have a problem with that?

As we watched this last night, and tried to avoid punching the TV in annoyance, I commented to @Graeme that the problem is that that grating-as-fuck moron Kay Kutta (sp? Who cares) is actually kind of right; he admits openly that it's a "game" and has little to do with who is actually skilled or talented. Only he is totally down with that reality, while the rest of us think it's depressing as hell.

Luckily, we countered our being bummed out by that fucking traditional episode (the only highlight of which was watching Richard Stell try to murder people with his eyes) by watching the new tattoo age, which cleaned some of the dirt off.

You can milk a cow all day long, it doesn't mean you're getting any... A time limit shows you can either get it done, or you can't...

Please read further back into the post, as most of the new topics that come up in this thread have already been addressed...

Most of the "canvases" aren't coming back for a second sitting... And who knows if they would even want to? Seriously?

And, when at a convention, and someone walks up asking for a piece, I know what is possible to accomplish, as opposed to some unrealistic opinion of how amazing Richard is, I know what can be done, and what will need more then one sitting. It's one of those don't bite off more then you can chew things...

Knowing one's limitations is a good thing.

Richard was on the phone with CLMN tonight... And he asked the golden question that Richard, and me have...

Why do they choose these people?

What is the criteria, and why do they not pick actual skilled tattooers?

That's the burning question.

Thinking about how pissed I am at our GC right now, I can't help but hate on MF'rs that sell shit, like it's tv I know, but if you are into cars you watch shows that are about cars, like theres a story to it, or it's about cars, or it's actually tattoo sited, as in you look at tattoos, not so much the people that get them, or the people that make them, but the actual tattoo... Design, detail, etc... Not Barbershop, or BUllshit non tattoo related.

But I guess my whole deal was thinking with a name like Ink Master, you would think... Just a little that they would be skilled, and trained, and knowledgable about tattoos, cause that's the premise... But on second thought, it's easier to make fun and exploit the dumb bastard that has no idea they suck. And by getting picked for the show, that loads their ego even more... Only for the "real" tattooers to sick back in shock and awe, at what shit this is that they are representing as us on tv, and online. Horrific.

WOW. I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Some poor bastard is about to get a shitstorm of an email next, cause this thought just pissed me off. Richard just told me to stop typing so hard.

I say this without a snide tone, and I have nothing but the utmost respect for Richard, but in my opinion it's kind of hard to say how fucked up that show and the producers for it are when you just took active participation in it. Surely you guys knew about this before going into it.

Yes, and No...

It's weird. One of those double edged things... I don't think Inkmasters is actually going to affect anyone that really loves this profession, and is good at it. I guess earlier in the thread I was super pollyanna and trying to do nothing but see the upside of things and rationalize it all, not sure why, I just support my friends.

But I guess out of school habits, I like to look at the same things over and try to argue a case against it... It's a writing tool...

We didn't just take part in it... this whole thing was filmed back in July, (that episode, and NO, Richard had no idea) He thought the kids would at least know how to put a tattoo on.... But when they were three hours into something and some of them didn't even have the outlines complete. It was heartbreaking, Richard doesn't have anxiety attacks, I do... but he had two, and freaked out wanting to fix each tattoo that he saw, because he felt morally compelled to give those vets good work in exchange for theirs.

No he didn't have a real idea of what was actually up, even the casting agents were a bit dishonest, I mean it's their job to get people on the set that would make for an interesting dynamic... And they were looking to get a rise, but it only raised vomit. I completely threw a fit the last day they shot... I stayed at the 700.00 a nite hotel they put us up in. And smoked in the non smoking room. I was pissed off thinking if we have to stay and fix shit tattoos, and put off the clients in San Antonio that were at the convention already (tattooers who love and cherish this), and waiting... I was going to have a little breakdown and probably leave NYC for TX... To get everything for the show in SA ready.

We had to fly into Austin pick our truck up, grab the rest of our booth setup from Tony's house drive down to SA setup all over again, on 5 hours sleep, and yeah, I can totally criticize it, I want to know the parts I like and didn't in an effort to change them maybe for the better later on, or at least have an objective standpoint on it...

And I am not a big user of Facebook, or Twitter too much anymore, I felt like if any place was good to kinda let loose, and be open regarding our opinions, experiences around this, or any tattoo type of topic, I would rather post up here, I thought. Safe zone.

The entire show isn't 100% fucked up, and just a portion. I have been involved in some fucked up stuff before, far worse on a couple moral standpoints. It's early on in the Tattoo TV thing, I guess I just would like to maybe contribute constructive criticism somewhere, cause I know a few people look at these threads, and maybe just maybe they would take a few of the hints dropped here.

Not snide, just honest... The way it should be.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry about the novel....

Yes, and No...

We didn't just take part in it... this whole thing was filmed back in July, (that episode, and NO, Richard had no idea) He thought the kids would at least know how to put a tattoo on.... But when they were three hours into something and some of them didn't even have the outlines complete. It was heartbreaking, Richard doesn't have anxiety attacks, I do... but he had two, and freaked out wanting to fix each tattoo that he saw, because he felt morally compelled to give those vets good work in exchange for theirs.

I wouldve felt compelled to stop them and fix it for them too, I wouldve had a breakdown/freakout if I witnessed that. I feel his pain.

Yeah I was hoping what I said wasnt gonna be taken the wrong way.

I watched this last night. And I obviously agree with everyone. It's a traditional tattoo. They are not easy by any measure, but they are the foundation for tattooing. How these ass-hats couldn't get that right, I have no idea. There is so much information out there. Incredible resource books, flash. Hell, just looking at LST would have given some of these tattooers a better idea of how to compose a traditional eagle because, I don't know, you see work from THE VERY BEST IN THE WORLD posted here. Sigh.

Seeing jokers like that in action reminds me of the reasons I was leery of getting tattooed in the first place. I was scared of getting stuck with the kind of junk that I've seen on that show. Most of the tattoo's I see around here are shit too. It wasn't until I found this place that I was educated as to what a tattoo could be.

When I tell my friends about my upcoming tattoo they ask why I would drive so far, and why is it so expensive. They tell me "my buddy can do that for a couple hundred bucks." I politely say "no, I don't think he can." One of my friends got mad at me, and I asked him if he would buy a discount parachute. He said "sure if I could save money."

I don't get it.

Seeing jokers like that in action reminds me of the reasons I was leery of getting tattooed in the first place. I was scared of getting stuck with the kind of junk that I've seen on that show. Most of the tattoo's I see around here are shit too. It wasn't until I found this place that I was educated as to what a tattoo could be.

When I tell my friends about my upcoming tattoo they ask why I would drive so far, and why is it so expensive. They tell me "my buddy can do that for a couple hundred bucks." I politely say "no, I don't think he can." One of my friends got mad at me, and I asked him if he would buy a discount parachute. He said "sure if I could save money."

I don't get it.

Discount eye surgery is my go to line, I haven't seen any in awhile, but when lasik first came out I remember always seeing the ads in the paper.

And I am not a big user of Facebook, or Twitter too much anymore, I felt like if any place was good to kinda let loose, and be open regarding our opinions, experiences around this, or any tattoo type of topic, I would rather post up here, I thought. Safe zone.

The entire show isn't 100% fucked up, and just a portion. I have been involved in some fucked up stuff before, far worse on a couple moral standpoints. It's early on in the Tattoo TV thing, I guess I just would like to maybe contribute constructive criticism somewhere, cause I know a few people look at these threads, and maybe just maybe they would take a few of the hints dropped here.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry about the novel....

Keep in mind that this forum is searchable by the public.

I just typed "Jennifer Stell Ink Master" into google, and your post- the one I'm responding to now- came up on top in the pubic searches.

I kind of don't like that LST isn't locked down from search engines, but...

When do I see ya'll again?

I'll make it all go away by telling you what I call Navarro. That'll make you happy.

I think at the root of all my reservations about the show is the time thing. I just wonder if the people getting tattooed understand that the time limit changes how well their tatoo may be done? And furthermore, don't the tattooers have a problem with that?

I don't know how much they adhere to the time limit thing, if its 4-real or just for the show. Most of those big tattoos look like they should be in 2 sessions.

In the end, they're getting something for nothing... you get what you pay for. I look at any tattoo on me and there may be some imperfect lines, but can be touched up. Some of the shitty lines I see pulled on that show, there's no hope for fixin' them. And some tattoos I see on the show have tons of shitty lines in them.

Rob

Did anyone else catch that the latest tattoo that Tray "Big Daddy" Benham did on the new school challenge is prettttttttty damn close to the tattoo that contestant Jeremy Miller did last season, the piston...I didn't catch it, but the shop owner where I work did right away. . . Wondering if this is going to go un-noticed and/or why none of the judges caught this either.

Did anyone else catch that the latest tattoo that Tray "Big Daddy" Benham did on the new school challenge is prettttttttty damn close to the tattoo that contestant Jeremy Miller did last season, the piston...I didn't catch it, but the shop owner where I work did right away. . . Wondering if this is going to go un-noticed and/or why none of the judges caught this either.

Shawn Porter posted this on his blog, and I hope he doesn't mind me reposting it here, but here's a video of Krystel Oreto talking about her tattoos being ripped off on the show and she talks a little bit about how that Jeremy Miller tattoo was also ripped off. She says she's talking with an attorney about taking legal action against the show.

http://youtu.be/056kXT1JJis

I think that there's a lot of subjectivity sometimes; but this seems more like tracing than 'elements that are similar'. He emailed Kristel and admitted that he googled new school phoenix and that it must have 'subconsciously influenced him'.

she posted last night that she was talking to Dave Navarro, so Im assuming that Spike will throw a little $$ at her ... so maybe the good guys will win and next season they'll ban google? :D

Pretty snarky.. both tattoos in the video are realllyyyy close to her artwork. I'd figure that Spike TV would have an army of lawyers to go over everything before it gets put on someone, but probably not very realistic in execution.

Which is the problem in posting your art on the internets.. its really up for grabs. She really should sue the balls off anyone involved.

Rob

Pretty snarky.. both tattoos in the video are realllyyyy close to her artwork. I'd figure that Spike TV would have an army of lawyers to go over everything before it gets put on someone, but probably not very realistic in execution.

Which is the problem in posting your art on the internets.. its really up for grabs. She really should sue the balls off anyone involved.

Rob

See... I wouldn't think they had an army of lawyers- I think no one really thinks about it. Tattoo copyright is a newer concept so I think it's something that probably never crossed their minds. Even though Lady Face Navarro has been getting tattooed longer than most people on the show have been tattooing, and that DOES make him an expert.

just saw shawn's post in my bloglovin feed. i can't watch the video until i get home, so i won't be able to comment on it until then.

up until this weekend, i've done everything i could to boycott that show. my girlfriend asked if i'd watch it with her, so i agreed. what a horrid, piece of trash, god awful waste of fucking tv air time. not only is the show a shit show of dumbasses, but none of them seem to have any skill. they're all straight up garbage, expect for that bald headed dude that does new school tattoos (he seemed pretty good at doing new school tattoos).

that one dude with a mohawk is seriously a jerkoff. i was getting angry whenever i watched him. he clearly has no respect for the craft of tattooing, and his remark about traditional tattooing being 3rd grade while he's smoking with the 10th graders made me want to throw my remote at the tv, especially considering the dude did one of the worst traditional tattoos out of a collective group of shitty traditional tattoos.

the one plus was seeing oliver peck shit all over them and and richard stell's beard is fucking stellar. sorry for the rant, but that show is an utter pile of shit.