Coffee brewing

RoryQ

I've just finished spending about 20 minutes hand-grinding enough coffee to brew up a proper batch in my Chemex drip filter coffee maker. Got a line of coffee-related gadgets under our kitchen counter, some of which I've yet to even get out of the box.. Aeropress, electric espresso makers, various filter papers, french presses... You name it.

I get my coffee beans from hasbean.co.uk - probably one of the best UK sites for that kind of thing.

Freshly Roasted Coffee Beans from Has Bean Coffee

Originally it was a place in Chicago that turned me on to drip filter made coffee, funnily enough - a place run by an ex-Navy guy across the road from Deluxe Tattoo...

http://www.asadocoffee.com/

It would be pretty tough to go back to instant....

Anyone else got a particular method of choice?

I usually buy beans from whole foods,or at this coffee shop near my house.The owner roasts his own beans.He has some of the best coffee I've ever tasted.

His site is Rojos's Roastery :: Rojo roasts the very best coffee I have a burr grinder at home,and i use a cuisinart coffee maker.He sells this coffee makers at his shop that are made in Netherlands,and he say's they brew the coffee at the right temperature. TECHNIVORM: Home The only problem is their pretty expensive.

I'm looking to buy a grinder (a proper one with multiple settings, good quality grinding mechanism etc) and price is a factor - you don't seem to be able to get one that is 'well regarded' in the industry without spending about 150-200 Euro on it ($200+ ish dollars). Then again, the motto of the likes of Hasbean is that 'life is too short to drink bad coffee'. I drink coffee every day, so I kind of see the logic in investing in it.

The funny thing is that sometimes it's the small, inexpensive things that make the biggest difference to the way your coffee tastes... Knowing about taking the time to wash out and heat paper filters (to get rid of an acrid 'paper' taste), getting coffee to 'bloom' before adding more water etc.

I always bring back coffee from here Chicago Roasting Works | Intelligentsia Coffee , They share a building with Goose Island Brewery so I bring back a lot of beer too. I usually just use my Hamiltion Beach Brewstation it cost like $50 so nothing fancy. When I run out of the stuff from my trips my buddy owns a coffee company in town. Black Rock Coffee Bar

• 2 months later...

Finally started using an aeropress, having ignored it (it was still in its box) in favour of my more expensive chemex and kalita wave drip filters.

Well, turns out it's easier to clean and to be honest I think I might prefer the coffee it makes.

The 'press' part is a kind of airtight seal that pushes the hot water down through the grains, and through the filter. I guess it's a sort of hybrid french press and espresso maker: There's a degree of pressure being put on the water/grains, and you end up with a kind of espresso... Not quite the real deal, but a sort of syrupy concentrate coffee that you can add water to. Sounds weird but it's really good.

This dude has a good method.

In summary: Aeropress = relatively cheap, portable/small, durable, mostly idiot proof and easier to clean than most brewing devices and makes good coffee. It's like the glock of the coffee brewing world.

• 4 weeks later...

I've even become a lazier fuck than anyone here.... got a Keurig for my birthday. Plenty of good reloads to choose from, been binging on their Kona blend mostly. Easy, fast and tastes pretty good, although a bit pricy.

I still keep my Farberware electric pots around for when I have people over. Prefer spanish style coffees for those.

CG

Puerta Rico coffee in nyc has some of the illest coffee. I do the french press myself. Also if you're ever in hawaii their gas station coffee is actually good. I wanna get some green coffee beans and roast my own.

El Pico and Cafe Bustelo are strong blends, great taste and can get it anywhere in the NYC area.

CG

• 9 years later...
On 5/9/2012 at 5:51 AM, Colored Guy said:

I've even become a lazier F*** than anyone here.... got a Keurig for my birthday. Plenty of good reloads to choose from, been binging on their Kona blend mostly. Easy, fast and tastes pretty good, although a bit pricy.

I still keep my Farberware electric pots around for when I have people over. Prefer spanish style coffees for those.

CG

Hahaha. I'm too lazy right now 😄