Home Ownership, Is it for Me?

David Flores

Found a good house in North Portland, going to put a bid in today. I sacrifice having a small yard to live in the up and coming neighborhood, but the price seems too good to pass up. So far there are no other offers so hopefully I can get in there before anyone else.

I have a couple of others I am seriously considering if this one doesn't pan out, but this one is going to be gone quick so time to act fast.

So they accepted my offer on the house last night. They actually had at least one offer that was for more money, but my realtor saw this coming and sent them a letter from us (that she wrote) with a picture of my son in his halloween costume (Fozzie Bear from the muppets), hoping that since that had a small child it would appeal to that in them. They basically said that if we paid the closing costs they would accept my offer. I imagine the closing costs made up the difference between the two offers, but our bid would have never got a second look if it wasn't for my realtor.

My house is right off Albina, about a mile away from Atlas Tattoo, and really has a million things to do and some really good parks. Under most circumstances we couldn't afford to live in this neighborhood, but there is a small pocket of newer homes that are actually priced reasonable. Worst case scenario I figure in a couple years I can either sell it or rent it out for about 500-700 more than my payment+taxes equal.

• 3 weeks later...

April 15th we close. It has only been a couple weeks but it seems like a couple months. So much to do, and worry about, but still can't wait to move into our new place. Our new rule is to go to a restaurant in our new neighborhood every time we go out to get the lay of the land. Had to visit some tattoo shops in the area as well.