Hand tattoos and healing

Dan Martin

This is for tattooers that have hand tattoos. I'm getting my hand tattooed soon and was curious how the healing and swelling will affect my tattooing. I'm getting tattooed the first day of a show and thought I might try and put it off until after so I could work but wasn't sure. Will wearing gloves and sweating in them fuck it up pretty good? I'm assuming it would. Any answers would be much appreciated.

I got mine done and tattooed the same day, it didn't work out very well for me at all. The main thing for me was getting my tattoo covered enough that I didn't have to worry about cross contamination, then trying to fit into gloves. It kind of sucked. That was at the shop too, I could only imagine trying that at a show where you are already out of your element and being watched by a bunch of people. If you can avoid tattooing for at least a couple of days it would be a whole lot better on you and your tattoo. Just my .02.

depends on the tattoo. ive seen black and grey tattoos on hands heal in under a week with almost no swelling and then ive seen traditional color ones stay swollen for days.

if i were you i would get the hand tattooed on the very last day and even better last thing on the last day.

my partner, when he got his tattooed, kept them super clean and put some bounty paper (sturdy kitchen paper towels over in the UK) between the tattoos and the gloves to absorb sweat and plasma. this meant he had to wash them between tattoos and reapply clean tissue. this helped a lot and they healed in no time.

I had to actually take time off to heal mine, they are bright red traditional roses on both hands and i suffered during the days after, everyone is different.

ps. i'd also take anti inflammatories if possible to help with the swelling.

one had i didn't plan and tattooed non-stop after and it was rough. the first few days it was swollen pretty big and putting gloves on sucked. the other hand i planned and had at least 3 days off before i had to tattoo again which it healed like a normal tattoo time frame wise. it still swelled like crazy.

I recently got my hand tattooed and tattooed that same day, and the following day as well. I did the same thing that everyone seems to be leaning toward. I used a paper towel as a barrier and took frequent breaks and washed and cleaned like it was no ones business. It definitely was kind of a pain to stop more often than I'm used to, but my tattooed healed fine, healed normal. Just keep it super clean and make sure you use some sort of barrier between your tattoo and your gloves, especially if you have powdered gloves.

• 4 weeks later...

@hogg I been hearing that a lot lately hahahahaha. I went to Toronto last weekend and went into a barber shop to sell a dude one of those hot stuff heads I posted and had all the other guys working being all oh yeah you're thread wizard and then went to the tattoo shop i frequent there, and had the dude getting tattooed by my friend be all 'wait a minute! you're thread wizard aren't you' hahahahah getting famous on instagram. I'll never be as famous as Thomas Garcia though...

anyways back on track....

HANDS!!! I've got two of em, and both are bare. I'd really like to change that but I'm not secure enough finically to know I'll never need to get a minimum wage job again.

Hey Dan! It was nice to meet you at the San Angelo convention. Which painting did you buy from Richard Stell? I was the guy standing talking to Jennifer when you came up. I told you, that your shop is very nice looking when I went there 2 years ago. I will have to drive down to my old home town and see when you availability to do a small tattoo on me in a couple of months.

• 7 years later...
19 minutes ago, tatttoodsoul1988 said:

hey  got my hand tattood  about a week and a half ago it was pretty gnarly the first 24 hours after that it calmed down, put redemption organic aftercare on it and it damn near cut the healing time in half! 

Real happy for your healing experience.

This post is over 7 years old, you have awaken the dead.