Intense Exercise and a new tattoo

khubilai

I was wondering something similar regarding exercise. I just climbed Mt Fuji Yesterday. It's been a full 24 hours since I finished. I'm stretched, a little sore but not that bad. Today is one of the last days I can get a tattoo started before I leave. Any potential damage or reasons why I shouldn't get a tattoo done on my lower leg? Are the muscles swollen that long after exercise to make a difference in the outcome of the tattoo? I know it will likely be more painful and that's a consideration, but not a deal breaker. I just want to know if throws off the size and color of the tattoo or even quality of color. Thanks.

I've been tattooed plenty of times when I'm sore from working out. I hope this message doesn't reach you too late: get tattooed in Japan! And then post it here, of course.

• 1 year later...

I got a new full back tattoo and it is still sore, I would never lay my back on any bench, both vertical or horizontal, until it is healed because (1) it is painful (2) I can already feel it will probably break the wounds back open. So, I had my tattoo on November 15, and I don't plan on coming back to the gym until after Thanksgiving.

• 1 month later...

I'm lucky enough to have a home gym set up and most of my lifting is olympic lifts + deadlifting + some hypertrophy work. One artist that did my full sleeve kept me covered up for 7 days straight in loose fitting clothing and no gym for 7 days. Another just told me to wait a few days and keep the tattoo exposed as much as possible. Like someone mentioned earlier, i think it really depends where the tattoo is located. Hands/feet i would wait just because those are difficult spots to heal on their own let alone with a ton of movement.