Tattooer Timeline

Lochlan

"I've been tattooing this guy for almost twenty years" Tattooer

"So you've been tattooing him almost since you first started? That must be nice to see your tattoos and style develop over the years?" Me

"Actually, it drives me crazy. I see all the things I should have done but didn't know yet....." Tattooer

Many tattooers get the same customers over and over & customers often times go to the same tattooer but I had never thought about it being sometimes not ?choose your word? for the tattooer until the above dialogue with a friend.

Anyone else feel this way? Stories/examples?

My dude has a customer called Mike like that. He's been tattooing him for years and I said the same thing, Oh it must be cool to see all the work now. His reply was about the same, all he sees are the ones he now hates and wishes he'd done differently. The guy has become a friend of ours and has helped us out with personal stuff before, so it's cool to have a customer turn into a friend.

For me I have some tattoos that I kind of wish I waited till that person has gotten a little better. People who at the time I was like man they're decent and probably gonna get real good one day. I should waited till that happened haha.

Kind of on a similar note, my dude used to be cool with tattooing me when we first met and before we really got serious about our relationship. Now that we are engaged he pretty much refuses to tattoo me because "I don't want to have to look at everything I did wrong in your tattoo for the rest of my life". Out of the 5 or so he's done on me, I think he actually likes one of those hahaha. I get it though, I wouldn't want to look at what I thought was a mistake forever either. Even though I like all the tattoos and don't think there's anything wrong with them.

That is completely hilarious, wow,I hate that,And know it so well.Who wants to look at thier own shit that much.....

My dude has a customer called Mike like that. He's been tattooing him for years and I said the same thing, Oh it must be cool to see all the work now. His reply was about the same, all he sees are the ones he now hates and wishes he'd done differently. The guy has become a friend of ours and has helped us out with personal stuff before, so it's cool to have a customer turn into a friend.

For me I have some tattoos that I kind of wish I waited till that person has gotten a little better. People who at the time I was like man they're decent and probably gonna get real good one day. I should waited till that happened haha.

Kind of on a similar note, my dude used to be cool with tattooing me when we first met and before we really got serious about our relationship. Now that we are engaged he pretty much refuses to tattoo me because "I don't want to have to look at everything I did wrong in your tattoo for the rest of my life". Out of the 5 or so he's done on me, I think he actually likes one of those hahaha. I get it though, I wouldn't want to look at what I thought was a mistake forever either. Even though I like all the tattoos and don't think there's anything wrong with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Been tattooing my friend Nato since I was about 2 years in 14 years ago. Started with a backpiece (bad idea at that point in my career but what can you do) and next month we are completing his 7/10th body suit. I love/hate seeing the progression. Its really hard to not see all the things you would do differently but nothing can be done about that. Luckily, most of his stuff held up pretty well, its mostly the drawings/designs that I wish I could take a mulligan on.

• 2 years later...