Lifting Thread;training for the tattooed warrior.

kylegrey

I'm talking about higher (10) reps at the start of your training cycle , this allows you to recover from your last training cycle and become proficient at the movement i.e. improve your technique with a weight in all probability you could handle for say 13 or so reps .

@Petri Aspvik my problem with Reg Parks programme and in fact any similar routine is that it is designed for/by the genetic freak able to grow by looking at weights whilst eating everything in sight and sleeping or resting all day .Look into the writings of a guy called Stuart McRobert he was one of the first to present practical programmes that actually worked .Now if like most of us here your looking for more strength target your routine to block Periodization using lower than normal sets and longer cycles , at the moment I use 13 weeks which is a perfect place to start .Its old school but guaranteed to get you stronger . Check out these links which may help .

A Practical Guide for Implementing Block Periodization for Powerlifting

T NATION | Atlas Speaks

@Petri Aspvik my problem with Reg Parks programme and in fact any similar routine is that it is designed for/by the genetic freak able to grow by looking at weights whilst eating everything in sight and sleeping or resting all day .Look into the writings of a guy called Stuart McRobert he was one of the first to present practical programmes that actually worked .Now if like most of us here your looking for more strength target your routine to block Periodization using lower than normal sets and longer cycles , at the moment I use 13 weeks which is a perfect place to start .Its old school but guaranteed to get you stronger . Check out these links which may help .

A Practical Guide for Implementing Block Periodization for Powerlifting

T NATION | Atlas Speaks

This is a great clip of a talk that physical therapist Kelly Starrett (mobilitywod.com) gave to the staff of Google.

It doesn't deal with lifting as such (although his blog does, on a regular basis), but I think it has quite a wide application considering how many people work sitting at desks or something similar on a daily basis. If you spend, say, 5-6 hours a week training that's a lot less than the 40-60 hours some people spend sitting at a desk.

Thinking about Kyles tips and I came accross the 10/8/6.

A Look at the 10/8/6 Training System

My colleague said that the 10/8/6 program is especially motivating for beginners because the fewer reps on the second and third sets enable heavier weights to be used – in effect, it gives the client the illusion of getting stronger throughout the workout. Because extremely low reps (1-3) are performed, and because this is a protocol designed for a beginner, 3 sets are enough for a beginner to make progress.

Often, a trainee at Bob’s club would use this program for a month and then would move on to another program for variety – sometimes the client would simply add another set, doing permutations such as 12/10/8/6 if they wanted more muscle mass, and 10/8/6/4 if they wanted more strength.

But I really couldnt find anything else about it... Experiences?

Went to the therapeutist. The muscles in my back (small ones etc) that keep the shoulders in the middle etc (I cant remember the correct terms) are too weak compared to the ones that pull them forward (chest etc). Abd also some major tightness in that area and triceps etc. Got good rubber band exercises. One (that I can explain) is lying on your back and the band is in front of you as doing a bench. Shoulders back (they go too much to the front and I slouch) and shoulder blades touching the surface. Then just pull the band at the side while keeping shoulder blades and shoulder back in a good position. That was easy enough, but when I had to do it in an angle (band on top of my forehead)... Jeesus! How weak are these muscles! I was shaking like a leaf and felt burn in the muscles around my blades. Good stuff.

Long story short. Imbalance in the muscles pulls shoulders front

edit. Also my chest under the collarbone was TIGHT. And also in my side some thing that is attached to the ribcage, jeesus it was tight. Could breath better after he loosened it.

Petri-

Sounds like you've got what must me one of the more common muscle imbalances lifters get. I had a similar diagnosis on my right shoulder and lots of band pull-aparts, rows and lateral raises during my warm-ups sorted me out inside of about 6 months. Best of luck. When you can press again pain-free you'll feel like a million bucks.

Yeah, he was talking about that. He has guys as patients who lift really heavy and almost laugh when he makes them do the band stuff. And when they start shaking from the word go, they arent laughing anymore. Main reason why I went to him (other than being good) is that he has lifted for years and done martial arts. So I dont have to explain to him what a deadlift is :D

Main reason why I went to him (other than being good) is that he has lifted for years and done martial arts. So I dont have to explain to him what a deadlift is :D

You have found the needle in the haystack, dude. Most physicians will open with, "Don't squat--it's terrible for you!" If you find a doctor who actually lifts weights, stick with him.

My rule of thumb has been to only go to phsyios who are attached to actual sporting clubs or athletes. The one I go to right now is the lead for the Irish athletics association, and does (in physio terms, not biblical terms) a lot of youth rugby players. Her attitude is 'ok, you've broken yourself, what do we need to do to put you back in training' rather than the 'You should just stop training - don't you know that stuff's dangerous?' attitude that most G.Ps trot out. I can only handle being told that 'walking is all the exercise you need' so many times.

Anyone ever try this or knew anyone who tried it? Looks interesting. Magnusson/Ortmeyer 12 week program.

http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/resources/training/magnusson_ortmayer_dl_program.xls

edit. For example if thinking deadlift (after this cycle is done, about 1½-2 months.) I would put the projected weight at 135kg. I would start with

Week 1

4 4 210 95

2 2 240 107,5

1 8+ 210 95

& end at

Week 12

4 4 260 120

1 2 290 132,5

1 2 320 147,5

1 8+ 260 120

I think that is a good and duable goal. I just did 130kg x 2 last week, so 147,5kg in about January of 2013 seems logical. If the program is worth its salt. Looks good to me :)

edit. Isnt that some kinda pyramid? Kinda lika 10/8/6/15?

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_gironda_system

Went to the therapeutist. The muscles in my back (small ones etc) that keep the shoulders in the middle etc (I cant remember the correct terms) are too weak compared to the ones that pull them forward (chest etc). Abd also some major tightness in that area and triceps etc. Got good rubber band exercises. One (that I can explain) is lying on your back and the band is in front of you as doing a bench. Shoulders back (they go too much to the front and I slouch) and shoulder blades touching the surface. Then just pull the band at the side while keeping shoulder blades and shoulder back in a good position. That was easy enough, but when I had to do it in an angle (band on top of my forehead)... Jeesus! How weak are these muscles! I was shaking like a leaf and felt burn in the muscles around my blades. Good stuff.

Long story short. Imbalance in the muscles pulls shoulders front

edit. Also my chest under the collarbone was TIGHT. And also in my side some thing that is attached to the ribcage, jeesus it was tight. Could breath better after he loosened it.

I had a bad imbalance that was causing an impingement in my right shoulder. I spent 4 months in PT.. turns out that I was doing more work to my chest and too little on my back. So I started doing more rows, various pull exercises. I now do more pull exercises than push, shoulder is less that perfect. I did loads of rotator cuff exercises, resistance bands, broom sticks, wall crawls, you name it. Scapular retraction exercises were a big help. I wound up adding a lot of muscle to the rehabbed shoulder, so I started on the left one. This made a big difference in my overall recovery and strength from there on.

CG

Yeah, he was talking about that. He has guys as patients who lift really heavy and almost laugh when he makes them do the band stuff. And when they start shaking from the word go, they arent laughing anymore. Main reason why I went to him (other than being good) is that he has lifted for years and done martial arts. So I dont have to explain to him what a deadlift is :D

With my shoulder PT, I laughed when I was handed a pair of 3-lb dumbells to work with. I was benching 225 lbs for reps before I was injured... very humbling. I was lucky to get in with a good orthopedic surgeon (worked with the NY Rangers) and he recommended a good PT practice.

CG

My rule of thumb has been to only go to phsyios who are attached to actual sporting clubs or athletes. The one I go to right now is the lead for the Irish athletics association, and does (in physio terms, not biblical terms) a lot of youth rugby players. Her attitude is 'ok, you've broken yourself, what do we need to do to put you back in training' rather than the 'You should just stop training - don't you know that stuff's dangerous?' attitude that most G.Ps trot out. I can only handle being told that 'walking is all the exercise you need' so many times.

Everyone who treated me knew I lifted and none of them tried to stop me.. they may have wisely slowed me down for a while 'til I got back on track. I worked on getting my shoulder ROM back and then the strength. I'm not near where I was back almost 2 years ago... have made great progress until my 2011 back injury from a car accident, I'm gritting out a comeback from that one right now.

CG

• 4 weeks later...
Took pics of my upper body last night- realized a) I need more tattoos b) my chest has not really grown much, but my upper back has gotten WIDE which I like :D

Keto this off week; check in on Monday with a Tanita machine reading. May 7th I was 11.2 BF and 141.81 FFM- hoping a little of that moved around.

Keto 6 weeks report: down to 9.4% BF and down 3 pounds of fat while maintaining the lean mass number above. I stayed strict- LOTS of protein and fat, under 30 carbs a day w/ no cheat days. Coming back in, I've decided to move to TKD (one "cheat' hour a week at the end of my workout cycle where I eat whatever the hell I want. Last night it was a cupcake, lemon bar, and like 4 croisant wrapped sausages). I'm light, but I feel strong and haven't lost any noticeable strength in my lifts. To be honest, I can't wait til the Fall to start eating my brown rice and oats again.

I also now have one more tattoo on my chest ;)