Lifting Thread;training for the tattooed warrior.

kylegrey

I just bought some Fat Gripz. Wow! They make a huge difference. I've been able to maintain the same weights on flat and incline bench, but they are a bitch on overhead press. I also tried curls for the first time in years. They are quite a different exercise with Fat Gripz. They're supposed to alleviate shoulder and elbow pain, which I hope turns out to be true.

@Brock Varty

Toughing things out has a place, IMO, but I was talking more about injuries that suggest specifically contraindicated exercises as a result. Heavy bilateral squats could take a disc bulge and make it a herniation. If there are alternatives like a split squat, why not? Personally I still want to be training when I'm 80, so sure, I'll train smart rather than brave when it comes to injuries.

I just bought some Fat Gripz. Wow! They make a huge difference. I've been able to maintain the same weights on flat and incline bench, but they are a bitch on overhead press. I also tried curls for the first time in years. They are quite a different exercise with Fat Gripz. They're supposed to alleviate shoulder and elbow pain, which I hope turns out to be true.

What is the main purpose of the fat grips? I was looking at their website and still wasn't sure of the benefits. It sounds like they're effective in grip strength and forearm building but what else? I don't have very big hands so I'd be concerned with certain exercises.

@RoryQ

I understand what you are saying. I can agree with you on that one. If you have an injury and you can do an alternate excersise that doesn't aggravate the injury in any way...then by all means you can continue to train. I have done so with mixed results.

About 1.5 years ago I developed severe bursitis in my right shoulder. I trained through it for about 6 months and when the pain stayed I completely stopped all activity for almost 5 months. I mean absolutely nothing... When I came back, there was zero pain, zero loss of strength, and zero apprehention about doing shoulder intensive things. My shoulders have been fine since and I hope they stay that way.

What is the main purpose of the fat grips? I was looking at their website and still wasn't sure of the benefits. It sounds like they're effective in grip strength and forearm building but what else? I don't have very big hands so I'd be concerned with certain exercises.

They're supposed to improve grip and prevent elbow/shoulder pain. And yes, strengthen forearms. I have small hands, too. :)

They're supposed to improve grip and prevent elbow/shoulder pain. And yes, strengthen forearms. I have small hands, too. :)

Thanks, I read up on them a little more. I'll probably give them a shot for the hell of it although they're not cheap. My forearms are pretty good so that's not really a concern, I actually don't want my forearms to become disproportionately big. But it also sounds as if they can help blast the upper arm, too, which is always good as well as having grip and stabilizing effects as @Brock Varty mentioned. I ride motorcycles and shoot handguns so a strong grip is beneficial to those activities also.

Thanks, I read up on them a little more. I'll probably give them a shot for the hell of it although they're not cheap. My forearms are pretty good so that's not really a concern, I actually don't want my forearms to become disproportionately big. But it also sounds as if they can help blast the upper arm, too, which is always good as well as having grip and stabilizing effects as @Brock Varty mentioned. I ride motorcycles and shoot handguns so a strong grip is beneficial to those activities also.

check my post for cheap homeade grips

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Figured i'd bump this thread with a little update. Today was deadlift day and I managed to lift 120kg, which is a new PR for me. Every time i break a PR it boosts my pride and self esteem. It's a direct result of my own hard work and that's the best feeling ever

Nice job, @ChrisvK! PRs are so motivating. I hit a squat PR Friday and may try for another this week.

I've been doing a high frequency training routine for the past 21 days. On day 1, you do 50 pushups and 50 band face pulls. On day 2, you do 51...and so on for 28 days. This is in addition to my regular workouts. I really like it, and I've already seen some growth.

You guys are rad. I'm definitely getting a lot of muscle strength and size increase, but struggling with body fat. It fluctuates a great deal.

I think diet is the key in that respect.

I'm not hugely qualified to talk about this, but for me what used to see dramatic results was limiting my carbs for a couple of weeks - to under 150g a day. I feel like nowadays maybe it's not that simple anymore, maybe I need to work a little harder on top of that (hence the prowler).

Plus I like beer too much.