Lifting Thread;training for the tattooed warrior.

kylegrey

Does anyone else here follow the CF Football programming? I built a gym in the garage last year and love the convenience and don't miss the commercial gym bullshit. Any way I enjoy the programming because there seems to be a good mix of strength/power/speed stuff happening.

• 2 weeks later...

Been working in farmer's walks a few days a week now. Mixed weights, sometimes heavy, sometimes lighter for distance or with an overhead carry or other awkward way.

Today I filled up a rucksack and chucked that on too, felt like I was being pulled in a couple different directions. Went for distance (about 10 mins, minimum rest) ... suitcase, waiter and seesaw carries.

post-1095-14616884599_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

About 14 workouts left till this Dan John programme is over. Been planning to cycle into a hyper trophy programme.. Maybe this one from Lyle McDonald:-

Mon: Lower

Squat: 3-4X6-8/3' (3-4 sets of 6-8 with a 3' rest)

SLDL or leg curl: 3-4X6-8/3'

Leg press: 2-3X10-12/2'

Another leg curl: 2-3X10-12/2'

Calf raise: 3-4X6-8/3'

Seated calf: 2-3X10-12/2'

Tue: Upper

Flat bench: 3-4X6-8/3'

Row: 3-4X6-8/3'

Incline bench or shoulder press: 2-3X10-12/2'

Pulldown/chin: 2-3X10-12/2'

Triceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5'

Biceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5'

"For the thu/Fri workouts either repeat the first two or make some slight exercise substitutions."

@RoryQ, Lyle is quite the misanthrope, but he definitely knows his shit. Do you post on his forum, by any chance?

No, I don't really look at it either, bar particular threads (touching on the above programme, for example). But you're right, he's a good source of info. He has a great article on different approaches to hypertrophy that switched me on to him again lately-

A Look at Some Popular Hypertrophy Programs | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

I actually would like to try the Haycock programme mentioned in the article, but I think, as a whole body programme, it's too similar to what I'm doing at the moment. An upper / lower split like McDonald's routine, will be more of a change.

This is a timely thread for me. I've just started to get back into weight training after a long, long hiatus. In my 20's I was a pretty serious lifter. In my 30's I had a number of injuries, started a family, etc.. and basically got lazy and out of shape.

So I'm entering my 40's now and want to get back into shape. I like the look of the Dan John 40 day workouts. You guys think that is a good program to jump right into it? It seems to me like it could be good for easing back into since you are working out at "easier" weights.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a timely thread for me. I've just started to get back into weight training after a long, long hiatus. In my 20's I was a pretty serious lifter. In my 30's I had a number of injuries, started a family, etc.. and basically got lazy and out of shape.

So I'm entering my 40's now and want to get back into shape. I like the look of the Dan John 40 day workouts. You guys think that is a good program to jump right into it? It seems to me like it could be good for easing back into since you are working out at "easier" weights.

I would recommend it, yeah...

You're spreading the work out over the week so you get daily practice at each lift, rather than hitting them once or twice a week. And because it's only two 70-80% effort sets per day you don't feel too beaten up.

That said, it does mean you have to stick to it and get your 5 workouts a week for a few months for it to pay off.

It feels like a good way to ensure you're training he fundamental things.

- - - Updated - - -

• 5 months later...

Since I haven't really been home the past 4 months cause of traveling n stuff I haven't been to a gym for the same time. Soon I'll move to Vienna in Austria and once I have a job there and can afford it I will find a good gym straight away. Man i miss lifting.

Noone posted here for 5 months but I take it everyone is still going strong?

Chris-

Yep, still training. After the 40 Day programming I have been doing hypertrophy stuff since.

Spent a fun month doing an old school Dave Draper full body routine, then a 6 day 'fat burner' from him.

Did a sample week of German Volume Training, took a week off for honeymoon and now I'm at the end of my first 5 day GVT cycle (5 more to come).

Day 1- chest / back - bench 10x10, row 10x10, 3x10 of two assistance exercises

Day 2 - legs/abs- front squat 10x10, lying leg curl 10x10, 3x10 leg raises, calf raises

Day 3, rest

Day 4 arms/shoulders- biceps and triceps, 10x10, assistance work on shoulders

Day 5 rest

Etc.

The DOMs from the front squats is crippling.

I think that I'm probably too weak to really benefit optimally from GVT but I'm going to finish it out and then do another Draper routine, but an upper / lower split. 4 days in 7, nice variety of free weights and some machine work.

At the moment I'm loving the higher rep work and shortish rest periods of all this type of training.

Chris-

Yep, still training. After the 40 Day programming I have been doing hypertrophy stuff since.

Spent a fun month doing an old school Dave Draper full body routine, then a 6 day 'fat burner' from him.

Did a sample week of German Volume Training, took a week off for honeymoon and now I'm at the end of my first 5 day GVT cycle (5 more to come).

Day 1- chest / back - bench 10x10, row 10x10, 3x10 of two assistance exercises

Day 2 - legs/abs- front squat 10x10, lying leg curl 10x10, 3x10 leg raises, calf raises

Day 3, rest

Day 4 arms/shoulders- biceps and triceps, 10x10, assistance work on shoulders

Day 5 rest

Etc.

The DOMs from the front squats is crippling.

I think that I'm probably too weak to really benefit optimally from GVT but I'm going to finish it out and then do another Draper routine, but an upper / lower split. 4 days in 7, nice variety of free weights and some machine work.

At the moment I'm loving the higher rep work and shortish rest periods of all this type of training.

I miss being crippled the day after a good leg workout. I miss lifting in general.

Seems you got a pretty sweet routine going on! respect for sticking to it, not that many people go through on programs.

Well it's only relatively recently that I've tried to finish things out, I used to always think the grass was greener and be switching things up.

But this year I have really tried to get into my head that consistently following a programme to some kind of finish, even if it's flawed in some way, is going to offer the best chance of progress.