Lifting Thread;training for the tattooed warrior.

kylegrey

Here's our man with the 2,900lb leg press, selling his own patented programme- 'Project Dragon'.

If you view it, just be aware that those are several minutes of your life you will never get back.

In my second week of GVT. So far so good. I expected DOMS, but not as crippling as anticipated. Sleeping like a log.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. I have a question about Zercher, Deads and pushpress periodization.

How could I manage it best. I traing at the moment 1 a week with weights. And I would like to rotate those 3 exercises. How should I work it that I dont have too much of an rest between each exercise?

For example, and Im just trying to piece this together. I do heave singles with all of them for 4-5 weeks, then easy week. For example if the deadlift rotation is 4 weeks, could I do lighter pushpress for two week, along with the deads, and then zerchers for 2 weeks along with the deads? Then switch after a easy week, that I do heave zerchers and then 2 x 2 with deads and push. Im in a rush, maybe too short of an explanation, but how would I have to fuble this? My dead program is in bottom

Just started (really started, had a flu for 3 weeks) my new Deadlift program. Had the first go in Monday and fuck did it feel goooood!

Here it is briefly.

Train once a week

Start by gradually increasing the weights and get to the point where you can do your max with a good form. So no shaking like a leaf and joinking the bar.

Lets say the good form max is 200pounds, nice even number. You take 5% off from the weight and do as many single reps as you can with a good form. Rest 3-4 minutes between each rep. If you do 3 reps, OK, if you do 13, OK. But as soon as your form starts to go bad, you stop.

Then the next time you lift, you go for new "good form 1RPM". Then take 5% of from that.

You train like this for 3-5 weeks, depending how you feel and then a easy week.

O.k. ,first change the push-press for a standing military press or a clean and press ,reason being that push-press is a technique to overcome a sticking point and as much a quad exercise as upper body .Same as you using rest/pause on your current deadlift program ,no wonder your pushed for time resting 3-4 minutes between reps I wouldn't recommend resting that long between sets .Strip it back to a good basic lifting programme ,damn I even had to Google Zercher,but I like that your doing front squats :)

I started working out seriously 2 months ago now and i must say i'm hooked. Never knew it could be so rewarding and fun to lift objects and put them back where you found them and repeat until your muscles are sore;) First goal is to get my fat percentage on between 12-15% or something so i'm doing lots of cardio after my workouts and try (damn its hard) to have a clean diet. On 23% BF now so i got some work to do;) Been noticing that i get gains quick when i do compound movements like pullups/lat pull down, benchpress and squats but i found my shoulders dont gain in strenght that easy.

Been interesting reading all the posts here, learned a thing or 2

ChrisvK -

I think most people find their shoulder press is the slowest thing to progress - that's where fractional plates come in handy (presuming you're referring to something that vein when you mention shoulder strength).

It's great that you're enjoying your training. That first phase of strength training where you're seeing big gains in a comparatively short space of time is awesome.

I'm about a month into GVT and pretty happy with it. Feeling quite wiped after the upper body days, very little assistance work getting done. I'm getting in 2-3 sessions a week, alternating between upper and lower body.

Petri, I'm not sure I understand your goal. You want to do 1 day a week in the gym, doing zerchers, deads, and push press all in the same workout? If that is true, then pick one you want to prioritize and put that first so you'll be nice and fresh for it. I like to work off of percentages of my 1rm so that there isn't any guess work. I write it all down ahead of time so I know what the plan is. A 3 week plan might be better than 2 weeks.

I'll suggest something simple first. Say you start with deads, and we assume that the max you've done is 300lbs. So for the first week you could do (stopping one rep short of failure);

Week 1

Set 1: 75% 1rm

Set 2: 80% 1rm

Set 3: 85% 1rm

Week 2

Set 1: 80% 1rm (beat the reps set last week)

Set 2: 85% 1rm (beat the reps set last week)

Set 3: 90% 1rm

Week 3

Set 1: 85% 1rm (beat the reps set last week)

Set 2: 90% 1rm (beat the reps set last week)

Set 3: 95% 1rm

For the rest of the workout, I would just train the other 2 exercises as assistance work, aka 3-4 sets and 8-12 reps depending on how I feel.

That is basic periodization. Depending on how that cycle goes, set your new max, rinse, and repeat or switch to push press or zerchers first.

Cork

That was pretty much it but I dont think I would want to do all three in one time. I was thinking the same, take one I want to do as a main (deads) but I was thinking doing a 4 week cycle and doing the other do lifts two weeks each. Meaning doing the deads the full 4 but starting with zercher for the first two weeks and then doing the latter two weeks the press. I really havent done it like this before, maybe it sucks?

@RoryQ for my shoulder workout i do military press, lateral raise, rear delt fly and upright shoulder row. I find i struggle the most with rear delt flies, anyone got some other rear delt excersises i can do?

Today is chest and tricep day and i love it. Specially in chest i feel i gain in strenght so damn fast, it's awesome. Gonna do dumbell chest press and dumbell inclined chest press. I feel when i use dumbells instead of a barbell to benchpress i put more tention on my chest muscles. Up next are fly's and then tricep extentions, kickbacks and dips. Finish it all with 3 sets of pushups until failure.

Then high intensity interval running on the treadmill, some jumprope madness, rowing machine and finish the day off with some stretching.

@ChrisK The reason your shoulders are lagging is simply because they are not getting enough recovery .If you figure that either directly or indirectly they are involved in all upper body exercises which probably means you train them on three consecutive days multiply this by the four exercises is way too much .If you correctly perform your barbell rows you will hit your rears sufficiently for now ,things like kickbacks,cables,preacher curls etc are icing on the cake for when your looking to refine your physique . Hit some close-grip bench on your tricep day you won't have to worry about balancing the bar when your tri's are fatigued and blast away .

Cheers for that Kyle, makes sense!

my shoulders are always hanging forward a bit (years of bat posture..) so now i'm looking to strengthen my rear delts a bit so I can take on a better posture, normal posture now feels very stressful on my rear delts. Guess I'll switch to more compound movements then and worry about refining movements when my fat percentage has lowered.

Cork

That was pretty much it but I dont think I would want to do all three in one time. I was thinking the same, take one I want to do as a main (deads) but I was thinking doing a 4 week cycle and doing the other do lifts two weeks each. Meaning doing the deads the full 4 but starting with zercher for the first two weeks and then doing the latter two weeks the press. I really havent done it like this before, maybe it sucks?

I see what you're saying. You'll have to just give it a shot and see if it works. I don't know if the 2 weeks will be less or more effective.

Cheers for that Kyle, makes sense!

my shoulders are always hanging forward a bit (years of bat posture..) so now i'm looking to strengthen my rear delts a bit so I can take on a better posture, normal posture now feels very stressful on my rear delts. Guess I'll switch to more compound movements then and worry about refining movements when my fat percentage has lowered.

It takes a lot more than normal rear delt work to fix bad posture. Do a lot of chest stretching, and do TONs of external rotation work. You'll have to strengthen the mid and lower traps as much as your rear delts. One thing I find that helps good posture is to force good posture as often as you can. When walking or sitting down, just take a second to set yourself in the proper posture. Eventually you'll be doing it often enough that it will become natural to you.

Here is a great article/video on fixing shoulders. Rehab/Prehab Work for Your Shoulders