Lifting Thread;training for the tattooed warrior.

kylegrey

@Scott R and @Cork-thanks for the info!

RE: Diet-typical day

Morning:

48 grams whey protein/creatine/banana shake

coffee

11am:

16oz turkey chili

apple

2pm:

oats and flax

330pm:

48 grams whey protein

6pm:

48 grams whey protein/creatine

630pm:

16-18oz broccoli chicken brown rice casserole

*I have been overweight in the past (had a gut), so if I try the "eat everything" advice everyone offers, that is the first place I gain, no matter how much I'm lifting. IDK if I'm genetically predisposed to be overweight (I have alot of family that is), but that seems to be an issue.

cork I think it should be 2 pull to 1 push.

I agree with legs too many studies prove that compound movements like squats or lunges naturally release GH in the body

Definitely agree with that.

Cu_Bu and Cork-thanks for the info!

RE: Diet-typical day

Morning:

48 grams whey protein/creatine/banana shake

coffee

11am:

16oz turkey chili

apple

2pm:

oats and flax

330pm:

48 grams whey protein

6pm:

48 grams whey protein/creatine

630pm:

16-18oz broccoli chicken brown rice casserole

*I have been overweight in the past (had a gut), so if I try the "eat everything" advice everyone offers, that is the first place I gain, no matter how much I'm lifting. IDK if I'm genetically predisposed to be overweight (I have alot of family that is), but that seems to be an issue.

Eat everything never worked for me either. The problem with adding muscle is that you have to gain fat too. Caloric surplus is required for muscle gain, you're just going to have to balance it out with cardio and adjusting calories.

Your diet looks good. If your growth has plateaued with that food, you're just going to have to eat more. I'd start with small increments and go from there. You can add a little per meal, or just eat something before bed. Some people might critique and say you shouldn't have so many shakes, but the ease of a shake vs real food is sometimes a better option depending on the person's schedule.

kev also if your whey is isolate its good for after a workout but will not last in your gut. It will provide a positive nitrogen balance but will not substain it. You are also getting alot of your daily protein through your whey so mixing it with milk or adding a real food will help keep you. I also would have a slow digesting protein closer to bedtime. This can be cottage cheese or some of your protein with some EFAs and peanut butter. I always have 1 cup of milk 30 grams of whey 10 grams of caseinate peanut butter and fish oil (if i remember) before bedtime. At 36 and married I dont care about carrying some fat unless I am beach bound, but if I was trying to loose or gain somewhat lean mass I would up my fat keep protein high and taper my carbs as the day went on.

At night, I'm going to try to squeeze in some casein whey and almond butter, too.

great Idea kev, we wouldnt go 8 hrs in a day without eating so why do it at night? the casein is anticatabolic by nature, but with the whey you creat a complete the amino profile allowing rebuilding/ recovery while sleeping.

oh and on my post above that should read {36 married and wife likes it more when I am a little meaty. }

I am on top of my nutrition 100%, and I can't hold off DOMS. I'm talking the kind of soreness where you have to use the sink to lower yourself down on to the toilet. I've tried so many different combinations of amino acids and in different ratios... I get sore all the time. I like to blame genetics, but I really have no idea what makes it so bad for me and not others.

What has worked for me is a post workout drink that has L-Glutamine & creatinemonohydrate. That has reduced doms for about half for me.

Just started (really started, had a flu for 3 weeks) my new Deadlift program. Had the first go in Monday and fuck did it feel goooood!

Here it is briefly.

Train once a week

Start by gradually increasing the weights and get to the point where you can do your max with a good form. So no shaking like a leaf and joinking the bar.

Lets say the good form max is 200pounds, nice even number. You take 5% off from the weight and do as many single reps as you can with a good form. Rest 3-4 minutes between each rep. If you do 3 reps, OK, if you do 13, OK. But as soon as your form starts to go bad, you stop.

Then the next time you lift, you go for new "good form 1RPM". Then take 5% of from that.

You train like this for 3-5 weeks, depending how you feel and then a easy week.

I think it is the reason whe doing singles feels better for me. If I would do like 3 sets of 6, I couldnt concentrate so well in keeping myself aligned all the time. I would maybe rush it at the last rep etc. If I do single with heave load, I can focus more intensly on the rep.

Thats just me.

Definitely not just you. My form on deads always degraded if I did anything more than triples.

Reverse pyramid with utilizing the four basic compound exercises (I call them the Core). I do a workout, then one rest day, with the exception of legs and back, where I rest two days. I supp creatine, whey protein, and alot of food

Legs:

Squat- 3 sets @ 4/5/6 reps starting with heaviest

Leg Extension 3 sets @ 4/5/6

Calf Raise 3 sets 5/6/7

Chest:

Benchpress- 3 sets @ 4/5/6

Incline Benchpress- 3 sets @ 4/5/6

Cable Flies- 3 sets @ 4/5/6

Back/bi:

Deadlift 3 sets @ 4/5/6

Bent Row 3 sets @ 4/5/6

Weighted Pull-up 3 sets @ 4/5/6

Shoulders/tri:

Military Press 3 sets @ 4/5/6

Shrugs 3 sets @ 4/5/6

Lateral dumbbell raises 3 sets @ 4/5/6

Kev if your looking to gain muscle I suggest you train like a power-builder ,this is how the biggest dudes do it.Looking at your programme the isolation or shaping movements are treated to low reps max 6 which is ineffective for these areas which respond to high reps .Calves for example don't even wake up at less than 20 reps unless you already have cows on the back of your legs .Hit your compound lifts like a power-lifter but train your isolation or shaping exercises like a body-builder strict n slow and not always to failure.Lighten the weights and get the blood in that area .

That sounds like fun. In the Chaos and Pain blog I posted about, he liked to do this one kind of training when he had a reliable partner called "Uncle training". Basically, pick an exercise and a weight. Do doubles until one of you gives up. Cu Bu if you have reliable training partners relative to your strength, that could get interesting...Especially with rack pulls.

Kev if your looking to gain muscle I suggest you train like a power-builder ,this is how the biggest dudes do it.Looking at your programme the isolation or shaping movements are treated to low reps max 6 which is ineffective for these areas which respond to high reps .Calves for example don't even wake up at less than 20 reps unless you already have cows on the back of your legs .Hit your compound lifts like a power-lifter but train your isolation or shaping exercises like a body-builder strict n slow and not always to failure.Lighten the weights and get the blood in that area .

I gather for example the calves waking up after 20 has to do with "Fast and Slow Twitch Muscle Fibers" etc.?

So calves are slow = longer set

And for example abs are fast = shorter sets (with weights etc)

?

That sounds like fun. In the Chaos and Pain blog I posted about, he liked to do this one kind of training when he had a reliable partner called "Uncle training". Basically, pick an exercise and a weight. Do doubles until one of you gives up. Cu Bu if you have reliable training partners relative to your strength, that could get interesting...Especially with rack pulls.

We essentially have a contest every time we do a set to failure thats how I got 67 reps @275. Its always best to go last when we workout. I like the doubles Idea I have good partners but one of them is 280 and strong so its rough to beat him unless we do some sprints or bodyweight stuff first lol

also have you guys tried the ranger challenge?

135 lbs 60 seconds 60 reps

SLDL 6

Shrugs 6

cleans 6

press 6

high pulls 6

bent over rows 6

squat jumps 6

good mornings 6

tricep extensions 6

curls 6

its hard after a good workout. its all about transitions into next exercise.

I gather for example the calves waking up after 20 has to do with "Fast and Slow Twitch Muscle Fibers" etc.?

So calves are slow = longer set

And for example abs are fast = shorter sets (with weights etc)

?

A good test Petri is to half your weights on all supplementary exercises like flyes,curls,laterals and so on ,whilst at the same time upping your reps and performing the movement slower and stricter.Give it a month and watch your physique and strength improve .Low reps on stuff like laterals just works lower back,traps if anything and theres no point as you've already gone down that road with your power stuff.

Started this yesterday with my chest workout!

Anyone ever given GVT (German volume training) a decent go - any views on it?

I'm going to work more in higher rep ranges for the rest of the year. At the moment I'm more or less doing a Mike Boyle 3-day a week template, but have always been curious to try something stripped-down and high-volume like GVT. I haven't previously done any purely hypertrophy orientated training and thought I might be a couple of months of progress out of it.

Was thinking of doing something like

Warm-up as usual-

-Mobility warmup

-Neck and shoulder prehab

Then (either super-setting these with 90 secs rest or seperately with 60 secs rest between sets)-

Upper body day

10x10 Bench @ 60% 1RM or bench variation etc.

10x10 Inverted row with feet elevated or other row variation

Lower body day

10x10 Squat variation @ 60% 1RM

10x10 RLD, leg curl or variaion

Probably do some arm and shoulder assistance work and midline work after the main lifts if I have the energy.

Like the others said, I've never done the full routine of it, but I've done 10x10 a couple times. It's rough. It takes a couple workouts to find your ideal weight. I always got cocky and overshot. Then again, I had no idea how to lift back in those days....

I got a deep tissue massage this Saturday to alleviate some mid back tightness. Oye, that was worth the pain. My back feels amazing, and just in time for dead lift day.