Lifting Thread;training for the tattooed warrior.

kylegrey

Quick question: I'm planning on doing legs today with a 2 day old tattoo on my ankle-have any of you guys done this with a fresh tattoo? I wasn't planning on going heavy, but my theory is that working that area will help with blood flow and swelling. I've noticed on my vacations when I've had my legs tattooed and I walk miles in a day, the swelling is never as bad as when I'm at home sitting.

Quick question: I'm planning on doing legs today with a 2 day old tattoo on my ankle-have any of you guys done this with a fresh tattoo? I wasn't planning on going heavy, but my theory is that working that area will help with blood flow and swelling. I've noticed on my vacations when I've had my legs tattooed and I walk miles in a day, the swelling is never as bad as when I'm at home sitting.

I tried to avoid working out my legs while healing my calf piece. But then again in a sweater when i work out and i didn't wanna risk sweat getting in my fresh tattoo. Just depends i guess how much you sweat or if you get any friction on the fresh tattoo?

Day 1 GVT !

Warm-up and prehab as above and then on to it. I decided not to super-set the first time around. So 60 seconds rest between sets.

10x10 DB bench - ... I estimated too light on this, as I got 10 reps on my 10th set. That said, I'd rather under-estimate on my first day than overestimate and end up with only four or five reps for the last few sets. I think just going a few kilos heavier would have been fine on this.

10x10 Inverted row with feet elevated - ... This was more like it. I got 10 reps for the first 5 sets and then dropped off to 9, 8, 7, 7, 7. As I read Polloquin's original articles I think that's about right? Even better if the drop-off tapers off in the next few workouts due to some neurological adaptation.

So, too light on the bench but that's something I can easily remedy. The rows felt about right.

I'm thinking I might actually leg press and leg curl for my lower body. I know leg-pressing is an acceptable alternative to squatting on GVT and my rationale is that it may be easier on my c-spine (going to check with my physio first). I figured leg curls versus RDLs for the same reason, but we'll see what she says. I'm normally a free weights type of guy, but the nature of this programme might actually lend itself well to leg pressing.

I thought of trying to stick with single leg exercises, a la Mike Boyle, but that would mean doing 10 x 10/10. I might try it, but I suspect it would be both time-consuming and even more hellish.

It's not like you have to go to failure on the GVT. We aren't talking Crossfit here in the realm of forced reps and do it until the clock runs out. I find that doing a compound move with light weight (roughly 65% 1RM) and high volume will help you assess and fix your weak areas. If you have a weak lower back, the volume of squatting by itself will fix it. In a 10x10, the weight should be light enough that you shouldn't have to worry about injury unless you're just doing it wrong. To exaggerate a little to further my point, you should be able to do a 20x20 injury free as long as the weight is properly set and proper technique is used.

In my realm of lifting, I finally hit a huge PR on dead lift this week that I've been aiming for. Since numbers on the internet don't matter, let's just say it was 8421lbs. Gotta love getting consistently stronger. If I keep up this rate, I might dabble in strongman next year.

In my realm of lifting, I finally hit a huge PR on dead lift this week that I've been aiming for. Since numbers on the internet don't matter, let's just say it was 8421lbs.

Congrats on the PR! Always feels great, especially when it's a number like that. ;)

Anyone else here ever use chains? I first tried them in @Hrubarb's garage and went out a bought a set right away. I really like them for Louie Simmons-style "speed" days. That's what I plan to do tonight: bench with chains and box squats with chains. Trying to add break through some sticking points on those lifts.

@hogg yeah man chains on db pressess grasp the dbs like you normally would and on the first press at the end of movement someone drapes chains on over your hands. Lunges we do the one of two ways grab a premade bar and drape chains and just grip outsid of plates on premade bar to hold chains in place or grab a hook clasp and attach to one of the chain links then slide hook on bar.

@Cork try local hardware store sometimes they have scrap chain they are willing to sell at discount

You'll be hard-pressed to find 5/8" chain, though. The biggest I've ever seen in a store was 1/2", and that weighs a lot less then 5/8". Call around, though, and see if you can find a tractor supply or marine supply company. You only need two 5" lengths of it. The 3/8" leader is easy to find.

Here's a popular setup (although I'd go with 3/8" for the leader instead of 1/4"):

chains2.jpg

A columnist in an Irish Martial Arts magazine called 'Irish Fighter' is claiming that using isometrics has gotten him a 2,900lb leg press and 600lb bench variation at a bodyweight of 162lbs.

I've met him. I'm quite... amazed by these claims. If true, he'd be kicking Ronnie Coleman's ass on the leg press.

Sorry, had to share.