Lifting Thread;training for the tattooed warrior.

kylegrey

Exactly Rory. Moderation.

Here is something that Arthur Saxon and his brothers used to drink. I find it amusing.

The Saxons did have a "health drink" which I presume they concocted themselves. The ingredients were dark lager beer (or Dublin stout) mixed with Holland gin, the yolk of an egg and plenty of sugar. "It is a very good but strong drink" was the Saxon opinion, "but, if you are not used to it you will get dizzy very quickly." It seems to me that one would have to be a very strong man in the first place, in order to drink it.

For reference, Arthur Saxon was one of the best old time strongmen.

dpp01.jpg

I gave the caveman squat a try this morning and I think problem lies with being able to hold myself in this position even with my own body weight. I compensate by leaning forward because I fall back with proper depth. Maybe a posterior chain/core issue?

Should I just do some wall squats til I develop the strength to hold it naturally?

Eventually you'll be able to hold it as your flexibility settles in. You could also grab a barbell with plates on it and pull yourself down into the position resembling the start of an olympic snatch. That could be one way to work the stretch faster and harder.

olift-snatch-start.jpg

Eventually you'll be able to hold it as your flexibility settles in. You could also grab a barbell with plates on it and pull yourself down into the position resembling the start of an olympic snatch. That could be one way to work the stretch faster and harder.

olift-snatch-start.jpg

Cool, I'll give that a try. Being in that position doesn't cause me pain once I'm focused on knees out, hips forward, chest up. I just can't hold the bastard and I feel like an old lady without her walker.

Btw. You always hear people saying that doing deads without shoes is better. How about squatting?

hear is a funny quote from john welborn who runs crossfit football taking a little stab at his/my own ilk

"Any crowd that shuns supplements, shoes, strength and curls is confusing. Any demographic striving for elite human performance should be looking to increase recovery, muscle and strength. The same confusion extends to the people who won’t wear shoes when they lift because it is not functional or do not think strengthening your biceps brachii through isolated single jointed movements has benefit. If your goal is elite human performance, things like supplements to aid in recovery, shoes to increase your lifts and curls to strength your biceps brachii for pulling movements makes total sense."

ps - I have been "crossfitting" (don't really like this term as i know it has a dirty connotation to some) for 5 years and love it. I was a division 1 college athlete and have been involved in strength and conditioning for a long time. It's certainly not the only way to train, but it works great for me - Like anything open source, that grows as quickly as CF has, you are going to have good and bad coaches. Somebody has mentioned the mobilitywod.com It is a great source and I am lucky to say that Kelly is my coach at San Francisco Crossfit. If I am not there doing kipping pull-ups you will find me in my garage following westsides conjugate method or running up and down my block dragging chains behind me.

Peace & Love - Now lets go pick some heavy things up and put them back down.

Managed to squeeze in another 10kg on my lat pull down. Did 4 sets to failure (between 10-8 reps) on 65kg. Always feels like a great achievement when i can go heavyer then the week before and keeps me motivated. I started working out to lose body fat, but it has turned into a hobby/obsession now. Love it

Yeah, when it comes to shoes, I don't where them because the shoes I work out in are usually not that great (although I have found Sambas are great for their flatness)

So on the subject of supps/ food, what are you guys taking/ eating while you train?

I shoot for 2g of protein per kg of bodyweight, so 190g of protein a day. I use a fairly generic whey protein to try and hit this target.

Periodically I use other supplements - a creapure creatine monohydrate, cherry concentrate in water before bed, carlson's fish oil and (if I can stomach it) glucosamine sulphate.

Bloody easter. I was in the mood to hit the weights hard today (totally forgot about easter) I arrive at the gym, the bitch is closed today AND tomorrow. I just NEED some weightlifting now to keep my mind sane.

Atleast I'm going to a Textures gig tonight so i hope i can let out some of my tension in a good old fashioned circlepit

I knew that all the gyms are closed so I went to the local ice hockey rink. They have barbells, all I need :)

BUT. I under dressed and got the fucking flu (3rd time. Im feeble as a child...) when I walked home... :( Bitch cunt fuck!

Btw. Anyone read Jim Wendlers stuff. His 531 is most likely all business, but I dig his general work out writings A LOT

http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/10/darkthrone-or-metallica-which-training-are-you/

I am Darkthrone!

Alright due to discouragement and lack of flexibility, I'm starting from scratch. Just did some static wall squats and held til failure (which wasn't long) and holy shit my legs were on fire. It's obvious I don't have the strength or flexibility yet but hopefully this will help.

On the topic of protein I've heard mixed opinions. I weigh 160, is getting around 100g-120g a day adequate?

I try starting every day with a shake and 2 or 3 boiled eggs so i get a good portion early

Alright due to discouragement and lack of flexibility, I'm starting from scratch. Just did some static wall squats and held til failure (which wasn't long) and holy shit my legs were on fire. It's obvious I don't have the strength or flexibility yet but hopefully this will help.

Have you visited a massage therapist? I dont know what the correct term is in USA, but dont go to a spa type massage. In Finland we have urheiluhieroja, which loosely translates to sport massause. Is athletic trainers closer? According to wiki they massage also. But, go to a good massage person and have them massage your legs. Has helped me shitloads.

My supplementation is off the charts right now. My diet is very strict with no variety so I have to supplement to make the whole food add up easy. I take the multivitamin, fish oil, ZMA, melatonin, probiotic, vit C, whey protein, and soon a Vit D cocktail. I take a combination of all of these twice a day, once with breakfast and once after dinner. I take the after dinner dose with about 2 shots of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water.

I don't remember who asked since I'm just catching up on this thread now since I was on vacation, but for bulking, you'll want to get at least 2 grams pro per kg of body weight, like someone else mentioned. Depending on your diet, you'll want to modify this, but it's a good baseline. For example, I run carbs only around workouts and on refeed days, so my daily protein intake is higher than normal. I weigh 88kgs but I consume probably over 250g of prot a day. Gotta get those calories in. If they don't come from carbs, you have to get them from somewhere, otherwise you can kiss your muscle good bye.

And it's very ironic for a Crossfit coach to talk about being an elite human when Crossfit's goal is so far from becoming elite at anything....