Lifting Thread;training for the tattooed warrior.

kylegrey

Update:

Been doing the rubber band stuff that physio gave me for the shoulder, and my shoulder is 95% good. Sometimes gets tight, or when I sleep on it gets sore. Other than that, groovy!

Finished my heavy deadlift routine earlier than intended. It just got too heavy. Did 2x130kg and then few other 2x with lower weight. Then few weeks from that started the 1RM and I was thinking that if I did 2x130kg, I will work up to 140kg in few weeks. Bullshit! :D did 132.5 x 1 and it was heavier than shit! I knew that have to step baaaack and start again. I did a 3 week rest and started last weeks with this

http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/resources/training/magnusson_ortmayer_dl_program.xls

I went way back on the weight. I put the projected max at 112kg. Reason is that the calculator is funny so it shows this as the 12th week work sets (sets, reps weight)

4 4 225 102,5

1 2 250 115

1 2 275 125

1 8+ 225 102,5

And not 112kg. Even if you put it as the projected max. Well, dont care :P

Reason I put it so low is the 8+ sets. I suck at long sets in the deadlift, so taking it easy :) My goal is a meager 160kg (180kg is my real goal, but I dont know if thats too much) at the end of next year. No rush.

I need work out! good ol asthma can really put a damper on it thoe.

I hit on my Advair 2X a day and carry a rescue inhaler when I go into the gym. If I slack on the Advair, I pay for it especially in the heat. I have minimal problems if I keep doing what I should be doing. Are you on anything for your asthma?

CG

Contemplating how to approach my conditioning a little differently.

As opposed to seperating my strength/lifting days from my conditioning days I've been considering finishing off my workouts with 'finishers' in the vein of what Joe Di Franco suggests in some of his programmes.

Basically he'll have his guys lift (for example, on an upper body day they'll bench, row and do assistance work of arms, shoulders etc.) and then at the end of the workout they'll incoporate a conditioning element: Maybe a 1 mile run (yeah, a run, not a jog) or what he calls 'finishers'... Maybe something like a barbell complex for a few sets.

On the one hand I think: Great, if I can chuck in some short metabolic work (like a barbell complex) at the end for 10 minutes then that gives me the whole next day to recover whereas as it is I might have to go and do a whole session of conditioning the next day.... It would mean something like this:-

Mon - Upper body w. 'finisher'

Tues - Rest

Weds - Lower body w. 'finsiher'

etc on and on

Versus

Mon- Upper body

Tues- Conditioning

Weds- rest

Thurs-Lower Body

Friday-rest

Sat- Conditioning

Sun - rest

etc.

My girlfriend (legit athlete) pointed out that if I have enough left in the tank to do the 'finishers' all out after a strength session then that begs the question - 'did I sandbag the lifting sets'. Fair point perhaps.

I may try it and see what happens. If anyone is interested in what type of Di Franco programming I'm talking about, check out the rather unfortunately named BLAB (Built like a badass).

DeFranco's Training ..:: The Ultimate Way To Become A Better Athlete ::..

This is the guy - you're right, he prepares a lot of athletes for the NFL combine and I think he has a few other pro athletes on the books. He recently did a very interesting article about how he had trained a WWE pro wrestler through a bunch of injuries Changing 'THE GAME' - Triple H's New Training Regimen - DeFranco's Training

I thought it was interesting. I've used his programmes before (his 'Westside for skinny bastards' which is his most enduring open source offering) with good results. I don't think there's anything nuts in there. Kind of marriage of some max effort stuff with a lot of hypertrophy work.

And yeah, she keeps me honest!

Yes and is often the case I think the little lady is right , particulary in respect to your leg day .Quite a lot of powerlifters do sprints after legs but I think this is more of a flushing exercise, and they are using a periodization system probably very similar to the athletes mentioned above .However if you're using GVT or high-intensity pushing failure and beyond with high reps the notion of doing anything after such work-out is a pipe dream .I think "squat and leave " has already been mentioned in this thread but I would even extend it further by hitching a ride , or walking to the gym so I didn't have to drive after a honest leg session .

Powerlifters do sprints after leg day? Not sure about that one. You might be confusing powerlifters with some kind of lifter who cares about cardiovascular health.

This guy ain't doing sprints. :p

powerlifter.jpg

Just an update for my own recent progress, I did drop the contest prep for the one back in June, I wasn't on schedule for it. Just for fun, to try and fit myself into another short timeline *sarcasm*, I am going to attempt a bodybuilding show at the end of September. Whether I end up doing the show or not, I just want to be ripped for once in my life. I'm lean, but just not ripped. I want to see how it feels. In the meantime, here are some dips I did recently. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP9pe6DwIsk&list=UUyojT5418WdA5jrbwpzubPA&index=1&feature=plcp

Powerlifters do sprints after leg day? Not sure about that one. You might be confusing powerlifters with some kind of lifter who cares about cardiovascular health.

This guy ain't doing sprints. :p

powerlifter.jpg

Well its hard to deny Bev Francis who benched 331 @ 181 pounds , the greatest female powerlifter whose record will probably never be topped .She used to run 4 mile in the morning then at night sprint "ten 200's , twenty 100's ,five 300's " before or after lifting .

Well its hard to deny Bev Francis who benched 331 @ 181 pounds , the greatest female powerlifter whose record will probably never be topped .She used to run 4 mile in the morning then at night sprint "ten 200's , twenty 100's ,five 300's " before or after lifting .

Heh I'm just busting your balls.

Something horrible dawnded to me yesterday... My legs have gotten smaller!! Fuck me. And Im not one of those "I curl 8 days a week" guys. Legs and back (middle portion) is where it should be at. But I look like stickman! Well, hit them more!

And another funny thing. I started to train triceps and biceps, just because, well... I want them to be bigger (blush)

Petri-

I know loads of guys into functional training who look down upon 'cosmetic' reasons for training. They laugh at biceps and triceps work, calf work etc. Bodybuilding is a dirty word.

IMO it's silly. Most half-decent bodybuilders are functionally far stronger than a lot of the lean 'functional training' and CrossFit types out there, from what I've seen. I also don't think there's anything wrong with trying to look good naked.

Screw it, there are sillier reasons to train things.

The way things are going we're going to come full circle sooner or later and all be training hypertrophy and machines to the max... It's already started with some recent Mike Boyle and Dan John articles. Then in another 20 years it'll be back to hating on them. LOL

Yeah, it is silly. I guess it comes from the other end of spectrum, guys who go to the gym and teain their biceps and abs. And thats all. We all have seen them of course. So I guess because of that I have felt for years that I dont need to train some specufic smaller muscles, but fuck... Like you said, who wouldnt want to look good naked :) I like looking at my arms and seeing that they are little bigger. Builds confidence.

I'm ignoring everyone's advice LOL and going to try a programme based around the DiFranco template that I've been looking at. I feel like leaning out a little is one of my priorities at the moment, along with staying injury-free, and I also just want to work in more variety.

3 days a week training combining a lifting and conditioning, and 1 day a week stickfighting / escrima. Should be plenty of rest if nothing else.

So it'll look like this:-

UPPER BODY DAY 1

-Bench

-Supplementary DB bench (2 high rep sets, aiming for about 20 reps on the first set)

- Horizontal row / Tricep pushdown 4x12-15 superset

- Supplementary shoulder work superset 3x8-10 superset

(Bit of rest)

-Conditioning 10-15 minutes

LOWER BODY DAY

-Dynamic leg exercise (kneeling jump ups with med ball, DB squat jumps etc) 3 / 4 sets

-Single leg squat 4 / 5 sets each side

-Posterior chain (RDLs etc) 4 / 5 sets

-Anti-rotational core work

(Bit of rest)

CONDITIONING 10-15 minutes

UPPER BODY DAY 2

-Pull ups (Thinking ladders, max + ascending percentage based number of reps or simply 5x10)

-Supplementary pulling / incline pressing superset 4 x high rep sets, as day 1

-Tricep / bicep superset 4 x 8-12

-Core circuit

(Bit of rest)

CONDITIONING 10-15 minutes

I did day 1 on Wednesday and I'll be hitting the lower body day in about an hour. On Wednesday I did a barbell complex for 2 rounds as the conditioning, felt fried afterwards. Overall felt like a good session. In general though my plan for the conditioning elements is to stick to short runs (like a mile or two, pushing myself on times), maybe tabata sprints if I get a timer and probably bodyweight circuits, skipping etc.

As staying injury free is a priority for me at the moment I really want to maintain quality of movement even though I will be pushing myself in the conditioning.

If the above, combined with eating a bit cleaner, results in me cutting 2 kg or so over the next few months I'll be happy. I feel like I gained some quality upper body muscle doing GVT but I also gained some flab with it. My own fault.

Re: The eating, I'm trying to control my carb intake a little better. Crucially I've also banned myself from drinking during the week. Having even 1 beer a night after coming home from work was probably adding up to a lot of empty calories over the course of a month or so.

Argh- did maxes yesterday to come up with a base for our new strength building, gone down in most of lifts (back to November 2011 numbers). Hopefully, it'll come back on this new cycle =/

Diet-wise, I'm adding in a carb hour per week regularly and glucose/dextrose post-workout with my protein/creatine.

did a pretty cool pool workout yesterday. 60 lb kb walked from shallow to deep(underwater) touched wall and walked back to shallow then had 15 lb kb in middle of deep end tread water to fail then sink and do squat jumps for sets of 10 where you propel yourself out of water each rep. did several rds of this then 15 laps.

did a pretty cool pool workout yesterday. 60 lb kb walked from shallow to deep(underwater) touched wall and walked back to shallow then had 15 lb kb in middle of deep end tread water to fail then sink and do squat jumps for sets of 10 where you propel yourself out of water each rep. did several rds of this then 15 laps.

That sounds awesome. I love the oddball stuff that challenges your body as a whole

I wish I had a pool to play in like that.