Lifting Thread;training for the tattooed warrior.

kylegrey

Nice job, @ChrisvK! PRs are so motivating. I hit a squat PR Friday and may try for another this week.

I've been doing a high frequency training routine for the past 21 days. On day 1, you do 50 pushups and 50 band face pulls. On day 2, you do 51...and so on for 28 days. This is in addition to my regular workouts. I really like it, and I've already seen some growth.

Wots this then ? Setting new records Uncle " body by Jake " wants the scoop - pray tell @hogg

little do they know but todays pre christmas workout is going to be devilish.

circuit 1: db bench press, db rows, rowing machine 500m in 1m 30 secs x3

circuit 2: farmers walks with 100 lb dbs up stairs around froom and down other stairs back to weight floor(approx 160 ft), pull ups,weighted pushups, dynamax side throws x3

circuit 3 : dynamax log throws and chase,banded kb swings,dips x2

Wots this then ? Setting new records Uncle " body by Jake " wants the scoop - pray tell @hogg

Haha. Nothing that impressive, which is they're PRs and not WRs. But I hit 225x3 on squat last week and 235 for two singles this week. And I squatted to a low box (about 12" high). Not "box squats," but just touch and go as a depth marker to keep me honest. And I got up this morning and finished that HFT routine with 77 pushups and 77 band face pulls.

How's your training going, @kylegrey?

@hogg Thats a good low squat mate with nice numbers think you've earned a decent Christmas dinner this year with extra roast potatoes . I did that HFT routine a few times but I knew it as flushing and used to do a set of curls on the hour for one whole day , or something similar kind of like prison workout ha . My training is good thanks I'm bringing back some extra movements in the mix - pretty boy body-building stuff like scott curls and some direct hamstring work like seated Nautilus leg curls and hack squats as a substitute for my 10 x 10 squats . Strength wise I pulled 150 kg x 8 for 2 sets on my back day and a 50 kg straight bar curl for 8 in the same workout , like you said not Masters Olympia stuff but not bad for the old sweat-shirted guy at the local spit and sawdust training gaff .

Time to get my ass back in shape. Moved to a different part of town, and just paid the next year's gym membership at my friend's proper Thai style Muay Thai gym (unlike many of the alleged muay thai places in town).

Going to really suck for quite a while, but will feel great when back in shape.

Completed my first GORUCK Challenge today. 13 hours, 14 miles with a 40 pound pack carrying all sorts of fucked up things around, walking down Van Ness without socks or shoes, and more push ups and flutter kicks than I can remember. And a few trips into the ocean.

I suggest trying one out when it comes to a city near you. They are going international as well.

Signed up for one this Summer. "Looking forward to it."

What parts of your training for the GORUCK worked out best for you on the night?

Signed up for one this Summer. "Looking forward to it."

What parts of your training for the GORUCK worked out best for you on the night?

Which Florida event are you doing?

Strength/running:

If you are into crossfit, do that... otherwise...

Start with around two/three bricks in your pack for workouts depending on what your strength level is. If you are already a medium to strong runner this shouldn't be too hard for you. If not, I suggest comfortably running six miles @ around 10 minutes a mile without issue before moving to weight. Also, do at least one long hike a week. Like 10+ miles. Carry essentials, 3L water, food and other stuff and add more weight as it feels comfortable. This is extremely important, since you need to get used to being on your feet for long periods of time without stopping.

PT stuff:

Do lots of the following: Flutter kicks, burpees, push-ups, crab walks (your pack in front of you), bear crawls, MTN Climbers, Lunges ect. Any military type of workout will only get you better prepared. You will be doing shit that your cadre did while going through their special forces training which is so bizarre and insane that you cannot be prepared for. Do this in intervals while on your running course.

Use your bag as a workout tool. Carry your bag without straps (handle on top) for a half a mile and get used to is. Do over head presses with your bag, different shit like that.

Cloths:

Florida in the summer fuckin sucks. Wear breathable clothing. I suggest under armor heat gear short sleeves with running shorts. Shoes: Something light and good for draining. I recommend Inov-8 TerRoc 330 (check out theclymb.com for deals on trail running shoes. Send me a PM with your email and I will invite you to the site. 60% off shoes of the sort.) I also recommend a GR1 (if you havent already). Fucking expensive, but will be the best bag related purchase of your life.

Fitness Blogs:

SEALFIT Workouts - SEALFIT WOD's - Mark Divine

Nuff Said 6: Goruck Tough Class 057 - Training and Prep

Also:

If you are on Facebook, join your local Florida GORUCK group for the challenge to work out dates to meet up. It is key that you get used to working as a team and have a relationship base. It will help you get through the first ----- hours. Fuck you, I'm not telling you how miserable the first part is.

Be prepared to have a really good time. Any questions that you want to ask me, please feel free to send me an email. I can talk about this shit all day. They mean it when they say "It's 90% mental".

@dcostello: I'm doing the Jacksonville Challenge on the June 15th/16th, I didn't realize, I think Florida has the most Challenges. It's a night challenge. Thank you all the heads up, will definitely apply it to my training. Will definitely send off a PM to you. Thank you! Have a Great New Year!

I hope you get Jason, David Liles or Beaux. Those three are ridiculous.

Leg day today, but with a focus on volume and short rests. 20 rep sets of goblet squats... Also ... split squats, Single leg Rdls, generally made myself likely to wobble going down stairs tomorrow.

Been doing 10 minute blocks with the prowler three times a week, mainly after workouts. Then one day a week hitting it hard by itself, with mixed protocols... Adding in some carries and sled drags.

I just started a basic 2 day split. With fulltime work, part time school and a family it's hell to get in but I've been pushing to do so over the last month or so (nothing to do with resolutions.)

Anyway, pretty confident on most my lifts except dead lifts. I'm just OCD I'm missing something though I think I have them down.

Not to be a total weirdo, but would anyone here be cool to check a video clip of me doing dead lifts? I have no one to check my form, and I THINK I'm doing them right (light enough weight not to get hurt, just practicing form) but would rather have someone who knew take a look.

Been regurgitating the same Di Franco workouts or the past year, not without success, but think I'm going to implement something new for 2013- one of the incarnations of Dan John / Pavel Tsatsouline's 40 Day programme.

Going to be doing 4-5 workouts a week, each consisting of:-

Push

Pull

Hinge

Squat

Carry

Two sets of five for each movement pattern (bar the carries, obviously)... Not a lot of volume in one workout, but when it's 4-5 workouts per week it should quickly add up. There should also be a lot of skill development.

I propose to sub in prowler or sled work for the carries. Or, if all of those are out, perhaps a barbell complex.

Planning to bench, weighted pull up, deadlft variant etc.

Got a little journal, now to see if I can stick to it and make the strength / skill gains others report.

@kylegrey

Yep. I gather that the recommended starting weight for each movement is low - practically warm-up set weight (I've also heard the 50-60% effort figures mentioned). Next time, you go heavier, but stay conservative - no failed reps, no grinding, it should feel relatively 'easy'. Two work sets per exercise isn't much, but as it creeps up towards a higher percentage of 5RM it seems like it could be taxing to repeat day in, day out. I gather some have ended up having issues with the volume involved, particularly if they've gone too heavy too early.

There's quite a few incarnations of this workout out there, but the most commonly cited ones seem to be these two-

- T NATION | The 40-Day Program (Which is itself a modified version of the original Pavel Tsatsouline 40 Day challenge alluded to)

- Even Easier StrengthDan John | Dan John

I've mainly taken from Even Easier Strength.