Lifting Thread;training for the tattooed warrior.

kylegrey

Okay, so we just finished maxes for this cycle- squat 285, bench 245, dead 345, and military 160 at 160lbs (I gained 5 pounds-yea!). We really focused this cycle on form and follow through, so we weren't seeing huge jumps in gains.

One of the points my workout partner would like to work on is maintaining strength through full range of motion on squat (stronger at top than bottom of lift). I understand chains remedy this, but they're not an option at our commercial gym; I have to admit, I would love to bust them out. Any other exercises to work on this? We were thinking lunges or variants.

What do you guys think of mark rippetoes starting strength? Haven't worked out in over a year but started back last night. Feels good man.

Also, on squats when starting out is a parallel or just above okay until the hip flexors get more used to it? I remember getting frustrated trying to go ATG and got fed up.

@Kev what helped me increase weight in pushing movements was incorporating the old fashioned reverse grip bench press as my main tricep exercise.I loved them on the smith machine , beside giving your front deits a breather will fill you with confidence at bench time as your will bust high numbers on these babys .

What do you guys think of mark rippetoes starting strength? Haven't worked out in over a year but started back last night. Feels good man.

Its is a great basic program. The big three which you can use as long as it provides results. I can speak froma personal experience that majority of us average joes try to look too much of the ones X and Z pro guy is doing and get frustrated because it is too complex, too advanced or similar and then stop after a month. Basic stuff is basic stuff, meaning it works. Fuck, you could do that Ripoetoe program for the rest of your life by just tweaking the numbers and get results. Its not like you would get poor condition from it.

Its is a great basic program. The big three which you can use as long as it provides results. I can speak froma personal experience that majority of us average joes try to look too much of the ones X and Z pro guy is doing and get frustrated because it is too complex, too advanced or similar and then stop after a month. Basic stuff is basic stuff, meaning it works. Fuck, you could do that Ripoetoe program for the rest of your life by just tweaking the numbers and get results. Its not like you would get poor condition from it.

Yea I did it for 3 months and saw great progress. I just need to perfect the form on the big lifts

Squatting can be frustrating. I had to take about 6 months and completely fix my squat, now it is my second favorite lift (dead lifting will forever hold a special place in my heart). From the squatting issues that I have seen, almost all cases it comes down to a lack of hip flexibility. While you guys know I'm not a big fan of crossfit, there is a guy who knows what he is talking about when it comes to keeping loose. Check out MobilityWOD and you'll be doing your hips and shoulders a favor.

Squatting can be frustrating. I had to take about 6 months and completely fix my squat, now it is my second favorite lift (dead lifting will forever hold a special place in my heart). From the squatting issues that I have seen, almost all cases it comes down to a lack of hip flexibility. While you guys know I'm not a big fan of crossfit, there is a guy who knows what he is talking about when it comes to keeping loose. Check out MobilityWOD and you'll be doing your hips and shoulders a favor.

I love squatting, I just want to get the damn form down.

I've got a friend who owns a crossfit gym and her and her boyfriend are both trainers, sent him a video of my squat form and said everything looked fine just a buttwink and not enough depth.

Everything else I feel is fine and when watching my own videos, I can see form progression, but the damn depth will be the death of me. I can really only get just above parallel on my first couple of sets and I get much deeper on the last set so I know it's flexibility. Do you think parallel or just about can lead to injury if the knees track the toes and everything else is tight and in line? I've been skateboarding for a good couple of hours in order to limber up before my work outs (plus it's damn fun and good cardio)

Checking link now

It's actually really good for the tendons in your knees when you drop below parallel. It causes stretching and strengthening to occur. That's why I always yell at people who say squats are bad for the knees. It's the complete opposite. I don't think going to parallel will leave you any more open to injury, but you're definitely not getting the benefit of the full lift. I think PL depth is the best judge to go by. Let the hips break parallel with the knees.

It's actually really good for the tendons in your knees when you drop below parallel. It causes stretching and strengthening to occur. That's why I always yell at people who say squats are bad for the knees. It's the complete opposite. I don't think going to parallel will leave you any more open to injury, but you're definitely not getting the benefit of the full lift. I think PL depth is the best judge to go by. Let the hips break parallel with the knees.

Right on I'll keep at it. People make excuses for their own laziness. Screw em. It's not that I can't go below but it causes me a lot of pain. I can't even do a full body squat below parallel, I topple over

I decided to change up my 3 day split routine a little bit. Instead of doing chest and triceps on one day and back and biceps the other i switched it up to chest and bicep and back and tricep. This way i can hit the muscles twice a week with the same amount of time spend in the gym. Ofcourse i keep atleast 3 days rest between those days (shoulders and legs in the middle of it)

After a few weeks I'll tell you if it works;)

How would y'all feel about logging workouts in this thread? Is that a bit much? I've found that it can be good motivation and can keep you honest. It's also nice to see what other people are doing. I've learned a lot that way.

I don't mind logging, but it'll probably not be very consistent.

Still doing German volume, after a bit of a write-off of last week due to boozing. Yesterday got back to it-

A/ Dynamic warm-up in the vein of Mike Boyle and similar

B/ Static neck strengthening exercises

C/ 10X10 pushups adding resistance with dynaband (10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 8, 7, 5, 5, 5) 60 secs rest between sets

D/ 10x10 ring rows, feet elevated (10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 8, 7, 7, 6) 60 secs rest between sets

This was done at home, because I'm busy studying something and decided not to lose the time going to and from the gym. The band idea with the pushups was improvised but it worked OK. Same principle as a weighted vest or bar pushups with a weight on your back, just making the conventional pushup that much harder.

Not quite the same placement of band that this guy used, but thereabouts. The numbers dropped off indicating it wasn't too easy for me, at any rate. Typically I'll use a bench variation in the gym. Any thoughts welcome.

@hogg cool idea may get me motivated once again. I dont mind numbers, If i see greg hit something spectacular maybe i work out harder. If enough members will benefit maybe a sub health and exercise forum? Coud range from daily diet exercise concerns/questions and peoples journals. General health and medicine related questions

I don't mind talking about some of my workouts and I always like to see what other people do. I only ever compete with myself in the gym so I have no reason to lie with my numbers. If anyone wants to call me out, I'll gladly take video :)

Right now I'm tentatively preparing for a bodybuilding contest so it's going to get pretty intense. I am too small to be a really good bodybuilder, but it's a good excuse to get ripped. Plus, In a couple years who knows how much tattoo coverage I am going to have, so I may as well do the contest while my body is mostly clean and it won't hamper my scores.

I just had an all overhead workout, not very bodybuilder style, but I'm sort of deloading this week from my most recent macro-cycle. Just tried for a max effort military press. I almost got 200lbs. It felt heavy, but doable. Probably another month before I get that. Then I just messed around with heavy DB clean and jerks then a lot of rotator cuff work.

The worst part of contest prep? No alcohol. The diet, easy. The workouts, easy. Hours of cardio, easy. No beer? BAH!

@Cork i guess I meant I can draw motivation off others efforts. Another good thing about numbers is it allows others to point out something that may help your workout. IE descrepencies between push/pull or a musclegroup that is not responding to your current program design.

@Scott R I'll be sure to do something impressive to help out that motivation, haha.

@hogg Cool, I didn't know he competed. I've done it before a couple times so I know what to do. The last ones were a huge learning process. Right now I weigh 200lbs and I'll probably end up around 180-185lbs. I don't have a target weight. The federation I compete in does classes by height. I'm always in the tall class, being 6'0". In 2010 I competed at 170. 2011 was a year for growing and working on weak spots. I still have weak points but they aren't so bad, except for my calves. They are still terrible.