Not sure if Troll article or..? : University at Buffalo Op-ed

Kev

So many brilliant insights:

"An elegant woman does not vandalize the temple she has been blessed with as her body. She appreciates it. She flaunts it. She's not happy with it? She goes to the gym. She dresses it up in lavish, fun, trendy clothes, enjoying trips to the mall with her girlfriends. She accentuates her legs with high heels. She gets her nails done. She enjoys the finer things in life, all with the body she was blessed with.

But marking it up with ink? That's just not necessary."

"But at the end of the day, are you really a happier person? Has this tattoo, for instance, caused you to learn something new about yourself? Has it challenged you? Has it led you to self-growth? Nothing comes out of getting a tattoo. You get a tattoo, and that's it. You do something productive, though, and you see results. That's a genuine, satisfying change in life. Not ink."

At the end of the day when I've gotten a new tattoo yes I am happier. Tattoos can cause you to learn something new about yourself. Tattoos can change you. Tattoos can lead to self growth.

Her idea of doing something productive "Invest your time, money, and effort into a gym membership, or yoga classes, or new clothes, or experimenting with different hairstyles if you're craving something new with your body, not a tattoo"

So instead of getting tattoos all women should do whatever it takes to be skinny and have the latest fashions? So according to her going to the mall is a way to promote self growth and positive change? Wasting your money on overpriced goods so that some guy will want to fuck you is better than investing in artwork you will carry for the rest of your life? Awesome glad I know how to make my life more awesome now.

And just to be a bitch I'm gonna go ahead and guess that girl who wrote the article is just dealing with some jealousy as she's not very attractive herself and looks to be rather plain and boring. Way to go lady!

P.s. since when is a woman equal to a Ferrari or any other car? Talk about degrading yourself by getting tattoos and then you're gonna write and article comparing women to cars. Shit like this drives me up the fucking wall.

"But at the end of the day, are you really a happier person? Has this tattoo, for instance, caused you to learn something new about yourself? Has it challenged you? Has it led you to self-growth? Nothing comes out of getting a tattoo. You get a tattoo, and that's it. You do something productive, though, and you see results. That's a genuine, satisfying change in life. Not ink."

an easy statement to make if you've never gotten tattooed. and i seriously want to know what grandmother is wearing the type of clothing to show off her upper back whilst handing out life lessons to her grandchildren. so is she saying, don't get tattooed and stay classy so you can be a trampy granny? all that being said, this barely passes for the types of crappy current event journals that people had to do in college. i imagine that this gal went to some college to get a journalism degree and this is the fruits of all that hard work and student loans? nice. i started getting tattooed to let people like this know, i do not think the way you do, i do not want to know your opinion. it does not matter. i reject your thoughts, your institutions, your style, your class, and all the constructs of this mindless brainwashed society in which you wish to participate. ftw.

this was hilarious, I would like to re-title this, ''19 yr old girl runs her mouth'' ,well It doesnt make me feel any better, judgement begets judgement. oh well, maybe she realized how many bored people thier are in the world cruising the intranet (I love calling it that), me included. Now she's somebody, she's the girl that ran her pie hole. I'll forget her next week,early onset of alzimers. when one decides to write ,publicly, research is important. she could have found a myriad of feminist articles on this particular idea. I feel like I could give her a cup of coffee, or maybe a sandwich, just for stickin her dumpy neck out there.whoops.

I was hoping maybe she would mention this forum, She mentions being called a cow, but nothing of being referred to as a mid sized sedan. I remember a time when everything you write in your writing 122 class doesn't get published on the internet for worldwide critique and I time when people realized that most people probably don't care about a 19 year olds world view. You go to love the internet and the time, we live in. It allows everyone to be an artist, writer, photographer, and even a critic regardless of talent or hard work.

Yeah so her article talking about how everyone took her original one out of context. Bullshit. She's still an idiot who thinks being skinny and wearing cool clothes is gonna make her happy. There's a poll included in the article "has your opinion of Lisa changed after reading this" 90% of people said NO. She claims no one discussed her POV and just insulted her. I'm pretty sure in this thread alone 3-6 people quoted directly from her article with direct responses, that makes me think that a lot of other people probably did too.

Shannon's right, her rebuttal should have been called "19 year old runs her mouth".

I wish I could walk down the street with her just to prove how many more heads get turned at the sight of my tattooed attractive self then they do at her. Wearing fancy jeans and doing your hair isn't what dudes like (at least not the smart ones who are looking for more sex). What really gets you a man, or a job, or self esteem is being confident in yourself. Maybe your confidence does come from shopping at the mall and getting your nails done. But guess what, a lot of women find confidence in themselves without all those things. Many women find their self confidence through their intelligence, through their family, their job, their education, their art. I'm sure she'd be shocked to hear a lot of women find their confidence through getting tattooed. Or what about a woman like our own board member Deb or Valerie, who are making a living and supporting themselves and in Deb's case her children through tattooing? I'd say it's a fuck of a lot more respectable to be someone like Deb who owns her own business and raised I believe 5 children and has kept up what seems to be an amazing marriage, then to be some bimbo married to a rich guy who spends her days shopping and getting her hair and nails done. Tattooing has supported me and my fiancé, has given me more opportunity to travel, meet new friends, be inspired, sell my artwork and live a happy life. Oh and the fact that she doesn't mention one thing about men getting tattooed...