Not sure if Troll article or..? : University at Buffalo Op-ed

Kev

For one thing, I find it hard for someone to write an article like this about tattoos without having a tattoo. It sounds from her article that she has some self-image issues. I also picked up that she has her own pretty well defined idea of what personal decoration is, which is fine but to say what looks good as a black and white fact is impossible since looks are all about opinions and not about facts.

I prefer to tattoo my body, as some prefer to go to the gym, or buy "nice" clothes. I also find an attractive quality in girls that have tattoos, in the fact that they are confident enough to have one and also confident enough to commit to an idea for life. The attractive quality of other peoples' tattoos are not always about the actual image (although some can be amazing), it is more however the concept. Also my opinion about girls who go out of their way to look 'perfect' is actually unattractive, because it seems that they are not confident enough in their own skin.

wow, the Spectrum gets some bad writers.

"It's hard to believe that in 2012, issues like feminism, freedom of speech, freedom of expression, and the inherent rights people have over their own bodies are…well, even issues in the first place."

Really? Is that hard to believe?

I don't actually really get his point because I don't think he has one. If that lame chick who thinks it's immoral to have tattoos can write her opinion and enjoy her "freedom of expression"... then, what's the problem with people writing e-mails replying to her?

"At this point, I feel it's necessary to clarify my own standing on tattoos, because [blah blah blah]..." Um, no. Who the hell cares what your standing on tattoos is?

"Right now, your heads and the multitude of piercings in them are probably bobbing up and down in agreement." Again, no, you condescending jackass.

Oh boy. I think that movie Idiocracy is really coming true.

She looks more like a Camry to me.

she looks like a "holy shit what the fuck happened to her" to me

i read that article and shes the worst! totally doesnt understand what shes criticising. its like asking a small child to try new food and they look at it and say, yucky i dont like it with out even trying it.

• 2 years later...
"But at the end of the day, are you really a happier person? Has this tattoo, for instance, caused you to learn something new about yourself? Has it challenged you? Has it led you to self-growth? Nothing comes out of getting a tattoo. You get a tattoo, and that's it. You do something productive, though, and you see results. That's a genuine, satisfying change in life. Not ink."

an easy statement to make if you've never gotten tattooed. and i seriously want to know what grandmother is wearing the type of clothing to show off her upper back whilst handing out life lessons to her grandchildren. so is she saying, don't get tattooed and stay classy so you can be a trampy granny?

Ehhhh, I found this thread looking for nice clothing/swimwear I can wear to show off a back piece I'm in the middle of getting. I am a relatively new (and younger) grandmother, currently handing out life lessons to my two granddaughters. They (or their parents) don't know the piece is in progress, and I've spent a fair amount of time thinking about how to talk to the girls about "grandma's stickers" (the oldest, 3, is putting stickers all over everyone's bodies and on my arms, face, etc.) I've got a couple months til May when the cat's out of the bag.

So grandma's can't wear classy open-back dresses? Open-back swimsuits?

I think I'll go get my nails done and put on my high-heeled shoes.

That leads me to the second thing this week has taught me, a lesson about the power of words. If my words hurt people enough to generate an entire subculture to attack me personally, then how did I make them feel?

If I had the column to write over again, would I do it differently? Sure. I'd keep my argument, but I'd be more careful about phrasing. I'd try not to sound judgmental or sound as though I'm sitting on my high horse. I know now how effective words can be and how artfully they should be chosen.

I also know how much pain words can cause. People often say journalists are callous. Not me. Never me. Not after this.

At least she seems to understand that she could have written that article without insulting people.

I don't understand why people act like pissing people off is a phenomenon exclusive to the internet, though. If you insult people, it makes them angry. It's common sense and it's the same offline or online.

So it's not ok for women to get tattoos, because they are hiding/destroying their natural beauty. But it's fine for men to get tattoos. Following the analogy that she has created there, this must mean that men are ugly looking pieces of crap and we can mark our bodies however we want and no one will give a shit. What a dumb bitch.

Ehhhh, I found this thread looking for nice clothing/swimwear I can wear to show off a back piece I'm in the middle of getting. I am a relatively new (and younger) grandmother, currently handing out life lessons to my two granddaughters. They (or their parents) don't know the piece is in progress, and I've spent a fair amount of time thinking about how to talk to the girls about "grandma's stickers" (the oldest, 3, is putting stickers all over everyone's bodies and on my arms, face, etc.) I've got a couple months til May when the cat's out of the bag.

I think you should wear whatever makes you happy. I don't even remember the exact article content to clarify my statement. But folks should do what makes them happy and comfortable. Be classy, be trashy, don't let others dictate which you want to be.

I think you should wear whatever makes you happy. I don't even remember the exact article content to clarify my statement. But folks should do what makes them happy and comfortable. Be classy, be trashy, don't let others dictate which you want to be.

I know, and I usually do. Since I resurrected a sleeping thread, maybe I should have prefaced my comments with <irony=ON><sarcasm=ON>

I just though it ironic that everyone is trashing the girl for stereotypes (and she needed to be called out) but then a poster here commenting that grandmas wearing clothing to show off a tattoo are somehow incapable or unable to help raise and nurture grandchildren.

Tattooed grandmas = awesome! Hope I get to be one.

It's the most awesome thing!

Mine are 1 1/2 and 3 1/2. About a year ago, the older one saw my cat paws on my shoulder (a little memorial to my favorite little kitty - her exact prints, in the color of her paw pads, right where she used to rest her feet) and just looked at them for a minute without saying anything, then went on her way. I'm excited to see her reaction when she sees that Grandma has a WHOLE OCEAN on her back :-D

I know, and I usually do. Since I resurrected a sleeping thread, maybe I should have prefaced my comments with <irony=ON><sarcasm=ON>

I just though it ironic that everyone is trashing the girl for stereotypes (and she needed to be called out) but then a poster here commenting that grandmas wearing clothing to show off a tattoo are somehow incapable or unable to help raise and nurture grandchildren.

Tattooed grandmas = awesome! Hope I get to be one.
It's the most awesome thing!

Mine are 1 1/2 and 3 1/2. About a year ago, the older one saw my cat paws on my shoulder (a little memorial to my favorite little kitty - her exact prints, in the color of her paw pads, right where she used to rest her feet) and just looked at them for a minute without saying anything, then went on her way. I'm excited to see her reaction when she sees that Grandma has a WHOLE OCEAN on her back :-D

so I can vouch that a tattooed woman can be a hot granny,my wife,we have 1 & 5 yo grandkids (she looks pretty good for 54 IMO) ,

she only has a small tattoo,but she is the most loving ,nurturing,excellent grandmother ever !

#1 & 2 were in Kauai last year.

#3 & 4 were a couple years ago,way back when she was 52 LOL

nana1.jpg

nana2.jpg

nana4.jpg

nana5.jpg

so I can vouch that a tattooed woman can be a hot granny,my wife,we have 1 & 5 yo grandkids (she looks pretty good for 54 IMO) ,

she only has a small tattoo,but she is the most loving ,nurturing,excellent grandmother ever !

She looks great! And love the bikini :-)

I think we should start a thread for hot (scratch that) ALL grandmas with tattoos. THAT should twist the panties of the wanna-be-journalists at University of Buffalo!