Tattoos and your body changing

slayer9019

This has come up in a conversation with a friend of my. He decided to get a huge phoenix from his armpit down to almost his knee, but decided to first loose a ton of weight so it would look better. Before he did this I always thought that it would be best to get tattoos on yourself when you know that you are not going to have you body change (loose weight, gain weight, pregnant, etc). This now sparked the idea in my head to wait till I get a bit better in shape (damn you desk job) to get any tattoos on my torso. This also begs the question that if I get in good shape then I have to stay in shape at least for a good amount of time otherwise I can stretch the tattoos out when I get lazy again.

I generally disregard the whole when you get old your skin wrinkles, as does your tattoo. My tattooer and I were talking about this and we agreed that "I can't wait to be that badass old guy with some tough tattoos". Only thing I take into account is to never again get any huge single-needle or overly intricate tattoos anymore, since they age terribly.

Any ideas on this?

I got my first 1/2 sleeve when I was 24 and 180lbs. I've gotten a lot fatter since then with 225 being my biggest. Happy to say down to 200 or so now and it looks about the same big or small. It's not my torso but then again not all that weight was just on my torso. I'd say if it's under a 50lb difference you'll probably be alright. I've also seen tattooed bellies pre and post pregnant and they were ok too

• 3 weeks later...

I had received my first and only tattoo across my chest in honour of my brothers and I have recently gained some weight. I have noticed a little bit of stretching in the armpit/chest portion of my tattoo and was just wondering if it is the same as stretch marks being tattooed? I have heard that stretch marks are alot harder to cover up and harder to get color to stay. So my question is, if I have stretched my tattoo due to weight gain would I be able to get it filled in and touched up?

I am not a tattoo artist, nor do I have tattoos*

But I would like to say something as well...

I have seen tattoos that have been stretched out, and tattoos on skin that when weight was lost...the skin sagged. I myself, would choose to wait to get a tattoo in a specific area before changes have been made.

But thats just me (; and like I said, I am not a tattoo artist...