Tattoo Fonts, Tattoo Lettering & Tattoo Script

Lochlan

• 2 weeks later...
Really enjoy what if seen referred to as Polito style lettering (filled with colors, usually red, blue, yellow)....been interested in getting some for awhile, just was never sure what it was called

I'm totally with you on this. Been wanting to get this too. Don't know if there's a name for it either. First saw the Smith Street dudes do this, so the Polito thing makes total sense.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

lettering is by far my favorite thing about tattooing. i get really frustrated when i see artists using stuff they've printed off a computer that lacks spacing and composition. i think looking back into the original sign painting guides is a great thing that tattooers should kind of band together and try to preserve to adapt to lettering, like the old speedball books and things.

lettering is by far my favorite thing about tattooing. i get really frustrated when i see artists using stuff they've printed off a computer that lacks spacing and composition. i think looking back into the original sign painting guides is a great thing that tattooers should kind of band together and try to preserve to adapt to lettering, like the old speedball books and things.

I'll spend my time drawing nice lettering for customers who want and appreciate it. If someone comes in and wants the name of their sixth child added to the already shopping-list sized scribble on them, and their first question is "how much will it cost"? then I'm sure as hell printing some script font off Word.

I love designing script for people, but on a time vs money scale, the majority of work that walks through our door is minimum-charge names, 'mum' or some inane five letter quote.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

I plan to get my first lettering tattoo soon (the anglo saxon rune poem in my signature), but I'm wondering what type of script would be best for something as small and delicate as possible. I just want something very "lightweight" on my collar bones.

I'm not sure my handwriting is a good idea.

I don't really want something too fancy like Edwardian Script..maybe even with a Celtic touch. Can anyone help?

I drew the poem on myself in the picture the way I imagine it ..just the writing not as shitty.

Get it in Quenya or Sindarin

I do like the look of both, but I feel it would not be suitable because it is anglo saxon. I have tried Anglo Saxon runes, but runes aren't very flowy so I was thinking about a not too fancy, handwritten script. Maybe even my own handwriting if possible because it would be more personal.

IMO I would not get my own handwriting tattooed on me if I were to get lettering. I would go to a tattoo artist that's great with lettering (I don't have recommendations for you in Germany), talk with them about what you would like, and where, then see what they come up with. That should be more than sufficient for your needs and it would be plenty personal enough - you'd have your choice of writing on your body written just for you by someone who does custom work.

Learning to find a great tattoo artist, and then trusting that great tattooer to do their work (from drawing to tattooing) will result in a good experience. And, who knows what the tattooer's ideas may be - perhaps they'll think of something you haven't and you'll be even more excited with the tattoo.

I'm sure that bringing in a printout of a Celtic illuminated manuscript will be sufficient along with the words you'd like tattooed on you.

Yeah I can see how an artist might do the best lettering tattoo using a font they have practiced. I'm not too picky about the font, just know not too printed and not too cursive. I was given two recommendations by a German tattoo forum for tattoo artists in the area so I will see what they say.

• 1 year later...

I'm wondering what people think of lettering that is done with negative space? I'm thinking of taking a six word phrase out of a larger quote that I like.  Negative space lettering needs quite a large area but I'm thinking of having it go around my left arm (like an upper arm cuff) but angled to move down so that the lettering then spans across my left side, stomach, over my right hip and then around the back of my right thigh and then ending in the front of my right thigh. 

One idea is a large black band with the letters being negative space in it. However, bold block letters would not suit it so the would need to be a lighter script formed by the borders. 

My other idea is - rather than negative spacing - to have the centre of the letters in white ink and to have it shaded darker and darker to the outside borders of the letters. I'm wondering if this could give the effect of the lettering giving off light. 

Obviously I need to discuss with artist etc, but does this have any plausibility?