are these questions for the ladies? haha

For who ever wishes to jump in and voice their opinions..........

Since no one will jump in I will. I think the bigger tattoos the better mixed with originality. I was looking around Thomas Hoopers Blog today , and have always been amazed with his work plus the fact that he is one damn nicest guys you will ever meet. However, looking at the stuff he just posted, a new level has been reached in my mind. Back pieces that are not on the back but on various parts of the bodies. Sort of like japanese tattoos and/or maori tattoos but a modern twist. Speaking of which what are tattooers calling his and a few others style/genre of tattoos right now? They are clearly spiritual but also geometrical mixed with animals, fuc'n twisted but amazing.

So there's my thoughts, what are yours?

Edited by Lochlan

• 3 weeks later...

Um, I need to answer this somewhat in reverse.

I prefer a man with a whole bodysuit, so I'd have to say, the most attractive place for a man NOT to have a tattoo is his face. Private man parts, bottoms of the feet, the usual places are exempt. Not that I mind face tats, I just used to find them distracting, not so much anymore. But as a woman who's PTA bound, I do think about a man's ability to be seen for other than the words he has written across his forehead. What I don't want to see is giant neck tats and a big white/pink empty torso - gross. Sometimes when I see a dude walking down the street with his shirt off and no tattoos and his pink love handles on display I vomit a little in my mouth. The only time I ever completely disliked a tattoo on a dude was when we had dinner with this guy who had a very bold neck tat front and center, but his personality didn't match, he was real shy and demure. Maybe if he had ever spoken I would've felt differently, but I only had the neck tat to focus on, no words ever came out of his mouth.

In the interest of starting a new trend, if a guy were to only have one tattoo, I'd want it to be on his lower back, let the men bring back the tramp stamp! But there's nothing masculine about a dude with only one tattoo. UNLESS he was in WW2, and has a giant eagle or ship or anything else for that matter as a chest piece. I once met a man working at a gas station outside Yosemite who showed me his big eagle after his open heart surgery, his doctor had tried real hard to line it back up but it was at least 1/2 inch off. He ruled. A big unidentifiable green blob on the forearm of anyone over 65 is also pretty damn cool.

and thats why shes my wife......its hard to pick one. thats how you end up coverd head to toe. just trying to get the coolest one over and over, like a god damn goldfish.....i hate dudes who have hand and neck tattoos that dont even have full sleeves... just saying you dont get crazy tattoo status with out getting tattooed you just get douche bag awards.

Tuffest tattoos I've seen...the first is in one of the tattoo times. Is soo crudly done. I believe it's a hanging head that says "hooray for me. Fuck you".

The second, imnot sure where I saw it. But it was a panther slapped on the throat. It was an old tattoo. They just took the crawling panther and put it sideways on this dudes throat. It looked so tuff.

Mostly I think this topics for broads.

Um, I need to answer this somewhat in reverse.

In the interest of starting a new trend, if a guy were to only have one tattoo, I'd want it to be on his lower back, let the men bring back the tramp stamp! But there's nothing masculine about a dude with only one tattoo.

i think it depends on the dude. while my boyfriend isn't super aggro or tough like other, more tattooed guys i've dated, at the same time, i wouldn't call him feminine. he's quiet, thoughtful, and kind of innocent (well, at least in my eyes), and i sort of feel like his one tattoo fits him. i know he wants more tattoos, but would rather go record shopping than save it for an artist. honestly, i didn't expect to be attracted to a guy who wasn't interested in becoming (or already was) heavily tattooed, but what i've discovered is that in some ways, Jackson's lack of tattoos let me focus more on him. that doesn't mean that if things didn't work out between us, i would never consider dating another heavily tattooed man. just to me, i guess having or not having tattoos doesn't determine what i feel or think about a person anymore, as it once did.

and by no means Dari, did i think you were passing judgement or being rude. obviously you were just stating your opinion :)

i do tend to find chest pieces and neck tattoos attractive, unless they're on a guy who doesn't have didly squat anywhere else. flowers or roses on a guy are always nice, as i feel they add a touch of class.

just to me, i guess having or not having tattoos doesn't determine what i feel or think about a person anymore, as it once did.

and by no means Dari, did i think you were passing judgement or being rude. obviously you were just stating your opinion :)

Oh, maybe I am, I tend to be rude! Or at least I USED to be rude, and more judgemental, too. I still suck at writing thank you cards.

I think we love who we love, and then our ideas of attractive can get build around that. It wasn't until after I fell in love with Scott and got to know so many of his friends that I developed a phobia of pink skin on men. I fell in love with my husband, and my current ideas of masculinity formed around him, if that makes sense. If I fell in love with someone else, maybe I'd only like blonde haired, blue-eyed skinny guys holding acoustic guitars. I know that there are a lot of very uncool people that I'd rather not know with a ton of tattoos out there, it's just that many of the people closest to my heart have scribbled all over themselves. And most of my parent friends have no tattoos at all. I don't know if my tattoos influence their thoughts on me, but I certainly don't care if they have any or not, and I hope it's mutual.

Oh, maybe I am, I tend to be rude! Or at least I USED to be rude, and more judgemental, too. I still suck at writing thank you cards.

I think we love who we love, and then our ideas of attractive can get build around that. It wasn't until after I fell in love with Scott and got to know so many of his friends that I developed a phobia of pink skin on men. I fell in love with my husband, and my current ideas of masculinity formed around him, if that makes sense. If I fell in love with someone else, maybe I'd only like blonde haired, blue-eyed skinny guys holding acoustic guitars. I know that there are a lot of very uncool people that I'd rather not know with a ton of tattoos out there, it's just that many of the people closest to my heart have scribbled all over themselves. And most of my parent friends have no tattoos at all. I don't know if my tattoos influence their thoughts on me, but I certainly don't care if they have any or not, and I hope it's mutual.

i totally understand and completely agree. my opinion of tattooed men and masculinity was very different two years ago than it is now after being in a relationship with Jackson. it's also worth mentioning that a lot of our friends are heavily tattooed, including both of Jackson's best friends, one who has been tattooed extensively by Scott (if not exclusively). it's just not his thing, and i understand that. as long as he doesn't mind it being mine (which he actually feels attracted to), then we're all good.

and Dari, we're both in the same boat about once being rude and still not being good at writing thank you cards.

that panther across the neck was on ralph johnstone. so tough. same dude who had the christ head on top of his dome! i think tatts thomas did a lot of his work.

Does anyone have a photo of this tattoo? I am familiar with the Christ on the head photo, but I have never seen any other photos of Ralph Johnstone.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
I developed a phobia of pink skin on men.

This is the best thing I have ever read. I also kind of shudder at the sight of bare, pink skin on men. I think even worse than just one tattoo on men, is when large men have really tiny tattoos. There was a guy at my last gym who was just, gigantic. A body builder in tiny shorts and one of those hangy tank tops. He had a tattoo on his arm that was severely disproportionate. There is nothing less tough than that to me.

I had not seen this thread until now and I have created a list of awesome shit dudes should get tattooed.

1.) Objects from Jurassic Park (ONE ONLY.)

2.) Bears.

3.) Sharks vs. Zombies

4.) MOM.

5.) Majestic Ass Eagles.

6.) Buffalo

7.) General back of the head tattoos.

All ladies should also get these tattoos.

oooh, Sharks vs. Zombies would be good. Tim Lehi painted an amazing number featuring a T-Rex vs. a Robot that I really love. And my 5 yr old son had an idea for a Battle Royale that I think could be amazing- a dragon vs. a eagle vs. a really old lady.

I had not seen this thread until now and I have created a list of awesome shit dudes should get tattooed.

1.) Objects from Jurassic Park (ONE ONLY.)

2.) Bears.

3.) Sharks vs. Zombies

4.) MOM.

5.) Majestic Ass Eagles.

6.) Buffalo

7.) General back of the head tattoos.

All ladies should also get these tattoos.

Somebody please draw an ass eagle. Between an ass eagle and Shaw Porter's Squid Pants rendering, we're well on our way to the first ever LST esoteric shenanigans flash sheet.

My recent drunken annotation in my "drunk book" (which is a black book full of drunk thoughts) was a tattoo idea. I was watching Jurassic park... hammered. The first scene of the movie came on and Robert Muldoon us yelling "SHOOT HER" at the dudes to kill the raptor. I think a bad ass raptor with that above it would be rad.

As for the Ass Eagle, you all can thank me later for my drunken rant.

Dari, your son sounds awesome.

Im a little drunk while writing this.