Most painful spot to get tattooed

Lochlan

I always wonder how the ankle or foot heals since it's always in motion and usually covered during the day

I had the opposite side of the ankle blasted in my first session and it healed well, It just took the longest to heal.

- - - Updated - - -

Ankle and foot is something I am planning for next summer. I'm also thinking about the side of the foot. Wondering what that will be like.

My whole foot is going to get blasted, even my toes. Will let you know how it will feel like in 2 weeks.

Not looking forward to it but I am excited :D

Got back of lower right leg tattooed today and, have to say that the calf was far more uncomfortable than shin. Still feel asleep getting tattooed, though hurts more when put weight on it. But not complaining, I'll live.

Personally for me tops of feet and ankle were no problem, apart from being really ticklish! Ribs and hip tickled as well

Yeah I know I'm a freak :p lol

Bottom/inside of the finger sucked pretty hard. Inner chest/breastbone area was gnarly too

The inside of my fingers didn't hurt much save for the part near the knuckle. Same with the back of my hand it wasn't that bad cept for near the knuckles.

Considering the relatively small size, I will have to say the armpit is my least favorite spot so far.

Worse than back of the heel, back of the knee, ribs, lower belly, top of the foot and on par with the worst parts of a back piece painwise. The thing that really does it is how the skin is not really meant for tattooing (as opposed to the skin on the rest of the human body that evolved over millenia with the specific goal of getting tattooed...)

All the hair follicles, how spongy the skin gets there, and the fact that the artist has to work in a hole that you are trying to strech flat to the best of your ability , makes the process take so much more time than you would have thought. The guy who did the tattoo said he could have made something three times as big in any other spot during the same amount of time. You get _really_ sore while the machine just keeps grinding the same spots. On top of that you are bending and lying in the most uncomfortable position for extended periods of time.

Don't do it unless you are stupid. Now I will have to get my other pit done too...

(Bonus: I didn't consider it at the time but when talking to my "regular artist" he told me that the armpit is one of those scary places to get tattooed where you have a lot of nerve endings and pretty sensitive biomechanisms lying right under the skin. Basically, if you are not careful, you are jacking ink straight into that and it could cause some problems. The guy who did his foot way back messed up and now he still gets small electric sensations whenever he puts on his socks.)

@xcom I think it's highly individual when it comes to the feet. For me, the feet were the most painful by far. I didn't think ribs were that bad, or the underpart of the arm all the way up to the armpit, but the feet - oh man.

I've had a lot of people say that it was no big deal for them. I've got about 2 hours on each foot, not completely covered but a single large image that takes up the whole foot. And those hours were white knuckled gripping intense. Every part of the foot has a very distinct and different feeling and a long line will go through 2 or 3 of those different parts. I never did get comfortable no matter how hard I tried cause every time the needle hit skin, I was holding my breath.

Near the end when I was tired and the pain was starting to get to me, the twitching started. Not too bad, but there were those nerves that it just hits and my foot would jump involuntarily. Good thing the artist was prepared and already had my foot well pinned down.

That was my experience at least, and I'm glad that it's over with. Your's might be different. To you guys who can sit for 6-8 hours on a foot - y'all are tough SOBs, I salute you.

Don't let the pain dissuade you though, I love my tattoos. And, I think the aesthetic of a pair of tattooed feet are among my favorites.

This is hard for me to say, as I think the amount of time spent in an area can influence the tolerance. I just finished getting a back piece and he had to spend a significant amount of time shading near the center of my back and it sucked really bad.

This can hold true specially when they are doing color passes. I have areas on my back that I lost count how many passes they did on it. Its insane and painful.

This can hold true specially when they are doing color passes. I have areas on my back that I lost count how many passes they did on it. Its insane and painful.

To be honest I felt like I want to tap out a few times but didn't let him know. About 7 hours and 2 visocaine spray breaks to get through it

To be honest I felt like I want to tap out a few times but didn't let him know. About 7 hours and 2 visocaine spray breaks to get through it

How was the visocaine?

I used H2Ocean Soap once on my first back session. If you look at my instagram post of my first back session you can see how swollen my back was down by the armpit it was way too much to handle. So for me to go home and drive comfortably he used it and it worked for a good 10Min. Enough to go home.

I never used it again and to be brutally honest I got somewhat of a wake up call at the expo that I went a few months back. He did the last planet and again a shit load of passes I ask for that soap and he reply "There is no room for that shit here".

So I learned quick to channel pain and fuck the world. I walked around the convention and I was stun to see how many artists use it on very painful areas! I was at the Eternal booth and I at least saw 3 people or so asking for any numbing product...

I am about 62hrs of total work... I have learned that:

#1 - I have to be comfortable where ever I am sitting so I can focus out of pain. If am not comfortable I will do anything I can to be comfortable on my next session.

#2 - I can talk while getting work on for the first 6hrs. Anything after that dont talk to me cause I am fighting my self.

#3 - I Learn my limits. Depending of the size and type of work. This can go many ways from pain to how my body reacts and heals during the process.

#4 - I enjoy silence. Too much commotion and loud music just takes me away out of my comfort zone.

And many other things that people here wont care about but it definitely has been a body learning experience.

How was the visocaine?

I used H2Ocean Soap once on my first back session. If you look at my instagram post of my first back session you can see how swollen my back was down by the armpit it was way too much to handle. So for me to go home and drive comfortably he used it and it worked for a good 10Min. Enough to go home.

I never used it again and to be brutally honest I got somewhat of a wake up call at the expo that I went a few months back. He did the last planet and again a shit load of passes I ask for that soap and he reply "There is no room for that shit here".

So I learned quick to channel pain and fuck the world. I walked around the convention and I was stun to see how many artists use it on very painful areas! I was at the Eternal booth and I at least saw 3 people or so asking for any numbing product...

I am about 62hrs of total work... I have learned that:

#1 - I have to be comfortable where ever I am sitting so I can focus out of pain. If am not comfortable I will do anything I can to be comfortable on my next session.

#2 - I can talk while getting work on for the first 6hrs. Anything after that dont talk to me cause I am fighting my self.

#3 - I Learn my limits. Depending of the size and type of work. This can go many ways from pain to how my body reacts and heals during the process.

#4 - I enjoy silence. Too much commotion and loud music just takes me away out of my comfort zone.

And many other things that people here wont care about but it definitely has been a body learning experience.

I don't have a lot to compare it to because my last session, we used it once, but I don't think I needed it. This time around I would not have been able to finish without it. He sprayed it covered it with clear film for 10-15 minutes then started again. It definitely to the edge of but didn't last more than 15 minutes.

I sat for two and a bit hours on the ribs yesterday.

Absolute agony. Felt like my nipples were being sliced off with a scalpel at one point!

*Disclaimer* I'm an absolute wetty when it comes to pain...

- - - Updated - - -

I sat for two and a bit hours on the ribs yesterday.

Absolute agony. Felt like my nipples were being sliced off with a scalpel at one point!

*Disclaimer* I'm an absolute wetty when it comes to pain...

Upper arm and bicep were easy. Bicep healing was much worse than getting the tat. Elbow hurt a bit but super easy healing. I rather a tattoo that hurts but easy healing than one that hurts a lot during healing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
First 5 hours was fine, the last 3.5 hours was horrible lol but manageable :)

Good luck with it, I'm sure you will be fine and dandy :)

Just wanted to let you know that you where right... Right at the last hour it started to become unmanageable. We did a 6hr session on my foot and one hour on leg. Thanks again.