Most painful spot to get tattooed

Lochlan

I'll say that ribs were better than the chest for me. Not saying it was a cake walk, but better than the chest.

I agree, mental approach is key. My mistake was the opposite of Mick's though. I psyched myself out instead of relaxing, was tense and nervous and suffered a lot on my first chest session. The second session, knew what to expect, knew i could handle it; it wasn't fun, but I'm still alive and it went decently.

Now after finishing my fourth tattoo, I can honestly say chest was a cakewalk compared to side of stomach. I have a Goku tattoo on the left side of my stomach, going from the hip, extending to almost under the breast, two palms wide almost to my navel. It was pain like I never felt it before from the first line. I actually whimpered. Now, three sessions later, each barely lasting one hour, I can safely say that the other side of my stomach stays clean :p I couldnt imagine that it hurts so much there, and my respect for people with huge rib and stomach tattoos went through the roof.

I'll let you all know how my rib experience goes next month. Excited and nervous about it!

Also for the first time i have that "what the hell am I doing feeling"

You'll be fine. If possible bring someone chatty to distract you with a running conversation, at least this worked for me. Don't forget to breathe from time to time.

Had my knee tattooed the other day and I must say it was the easiest tattoo I have had so far.

However healing a knee tattoo for me was horrible, my knee had swollen up so much it was crazy in fact the 3 to 5 days after getting the tattoo was a lot worse than actually getting it, for this reason I will say the knee for me.

Very interesting. I got both of my knees tattooed 3 days ago, and they're both healing incredibly well, the swelling has virtually stopped entirely, and I even biked to work today easily with no pain / discomfort / issues at all.

That being said, these are the first tattoos I've ever iced in the days afterward, and I've made a HUGE effort to stay hydrated in anticipation of an annoying healing process.

• 3 weeks later...

Kneecap. Always the kneecap. I fell asleep during my feet. Actually instructed a friend on tattooing my toes. She was an ex piercer a Needle Pushers. Was totally eating a snow cone through that one but i trusted her big time since she know basically how the epidermis functions. My fingers (3rd metacarpal just before the nail. could be using the wrong anatomical description) were a bitch but it's gotta be the kneecap for me. Not looking forward to touching that up. Not at all.

Sister has two tattoos, and says her outer ankle (right above the bone) was worse than her shoulderblade (about halfway between shoulderblade and spine).

I've only got one and apparently I picked an "easy" spot, so I can't speak from experience on multiple tattoos. But I figured going in if I could get through unmedicated (yes, on purpose) childbirth, then I could manage a tattoo. Childbirth was way worse. About the same duration, but the tattoo was nothing worse than a cat scratch compared to baby-birthing. I did, however, have the benefit of distraction while getting the tattoo; my kids were very impatient about being born so there wasn't anything else for me to focus on, but I went in for the tattoo with an iPod. I didn't start to get chatty with the artist until the last ten minutes when all that was left was a little bit of shading and a couple lines that couldn't be done at the beginning. I brought a book too; that lasted all of three pages and I gave up.

I've never been able to read, nor listen to music. Actually, I should say, never tried.

I find with easy areas, having a discussion with my tattooer is important. It builds rapport, shows interest and is a great way for future planning.

With take your fuckin breath away places like banging sternum and drilling the arm pits, chitter chat or becoming distracted via another medium does nothing for channeling into the zone. There's particular areas where I find that you gotta find that zone to get through it at greater ease.

"Booze, Blues & Tattoos"

since i only have a sleeve I can't comment on any other places, but the places that hurt the most for me would be around the whole wrist, the inner elbow and right around the armpit. My artist would try to have small conversation, but i wasn't able to say anything back. I just zoned out for those places.

I personally don't use anything to distract me, i'd rather much listen to my artist talk away or just listen to the sound of the tattoo machine to keep me calm.

since i only have a sleeve I can't comment on any other places, but the places that hurt the most for me would be around the whole wrist, the inner elbow and right around the armpit. My artist would try to have small conversation, but i wasn't able to say anything back. I just zoned out for those places.

I personally don't use anything to distract me, i'd rather much listen to my artist talk away or just listen to the sound of the tattoo machine to keep me calm.

I'll second that as far as arms go

I also hated those parts of my arms.. But my worst so far would definitely have to be the front side of my ribcage. Honestly I could hardly speak for a day afterwards because my face hurt so bad from having gritted my teeth & clenched jaw for four hours. Good news is though, now every time I book some more ink and realise it'll hurt, I just think to myself "nothing will be as bad as those ribs".. It always cheers me up!

I also hated those parts of my arms.. But my worst so far would definitely have to be the front side of my ribcage. Honestly I could hardly speak for a day afterwards because my face hurt so bad from having gritted my teeth & clenched jaw for four hours. Good news is though, now every time I book some more ink and realise it'll hurt, I just think to myself "nothing will be as bad as those ribs".. It always cheers me up!

Oh you're in for some good times on your back then. It will be worth it though.

That's what the music was for, to help me get into that zone. I have trouble focusing past pain without it, and talking/listening to someone else talk just for the sake of talking when I'm trying to get through something painful doesn't help at all, it just makes me irritable. Better to get the chitchat done before and near the end than to force myself to be chatty during most of it, for me. I did make sure to keep the volume at a low enough level that I could hear any directions or questions.

The book was really because I had gotten to a good part in the story and finding time to read is rare around here. But I found it was too annoying to have to hold it up and turn pages without moving my other arm at all. Next time I won't bother with the book.