Most painful spot to get tattooed

Lochlan

13 hours ago, jnin said:

@Dan Damn dude! One session?! Have you ever done the stomach?

yep,one session,the outline wasn't really too bad,but when he got to the shading that was a killer,and Jess Yen has a heavy hand :( ,

and no.not yet,not looking forward to the stomach.

Edited by Dan

• 2 weeks later...

I've gotten my ribs, spine, hip bone, top of the foot, both upper thighs front and back, upper chest, and a shoulder blade inked. Here were my top 3 most painful:

1. The fleshy area around the crease that separates the butt cheek and thigh. This was from some Polynesian tribal that snaked from my inner thigh 2 inches above the knee to the butt crease. I was sitting like Plymouth Rock till my artist poked me in that section. He actually yanked his tattoo machine away from me because I spasmed so hard, I nearly rolled off the table. After sputtering all the vulgarities and getting my life back together, he resumed tattooing the last 2 inches of that tribal onto my butt crease. It felt like a knife shooting electricity in me was slicing me open. It has been 8 years since I got that tattoo and got several more since then. I still regard this as the most painful place.

2. My ribs. Yup I'm sure 90% of the tattoo'd population has the ribs at the top of their most painful list.

3. Hip bone and back of the upper thigh tied for third. 

Least painful area: Upper thigh. I'll either fall asleep and gently twitch awake during a particular painful jab. Or it tickles and I'm giggling to myself. 

Actually, I still haven't understood precisely why, but it seems that my body doesn't feel any kind of pain..

The main pain comes out in the healing process to me!!

During tattoo sessions, I never had pain even in the inner elbows, legs, chest.. the only time I had some pain it was on my upper back, when after 2-3 hours of inking the shapes of a big Swedish phrase from a song she started to fill them with black and at times I felt like I was running out of breath, like something touching my lungs, but really nothing impressive! 

Fortunately I'm very talkative, otherwise I would fall asleep most of the times.. but as I was saying I don't really know why I don't feel anything.. 

But as one of my oldest tattoo artists (born in the '60s xD) said to me, if there's pain and blood it's all part of the process, in order to enjoy your work of art you must "include" and accept some suffering! :) So, I won't have problems if I'll find some painful areas in the future.. I still have to try some parts of my body - I don't wanna tattoo myself on feet, hands and over my neck for many reasons - like my upper thighs and some parts of my chest so we'll see.. :) 

But really, the pain is healing for me!!

Edited by Hel7

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I only have one side done, so far & just a few hours, bet the other side will be the killer! I do have a health problem causing massive pain though so tattoos never get as bad as that, yet.

I also have extra meat on the bones which must help a bit, tho not with the ankle!

4hrs is a good length of time lol I always think good job I don't want my throat done as i'd have to not talk I guess!

Pain is experienced differently from person to person. For most people, it’s difficult to tell what’s good and what’s bad. The best advice is that if you’re afraid of the pain, don’t get tattooed. If you’re just curious about what place on your body will hurt the most if you get it tattooed… then just do it and find out. Everyone’s experience will be different, so relying on someone else to say “this spot is good, that spot is bad” isn’t a great way to gather information.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had both ankles, both outer arms and both shoulders/shoulder blades, and all the way around one upper arm almost to the elbow. The worst is a tie between my ankle and the inner biceps. The ankle was a coverup of Kanji and had to be pretty heavily shaded. It took about 2.5 hours, not bad at all, but the table paper after I was done had a Liz-shaped damp spot, lol. I didn't make a peep but clearly suffered!

My inner bicep actually swelled up and was hot to the touch for about 3 days after, making everyone wonder about infection, but it was NOT, just a lymph response and was totally fine. Shoulder blades were no problem, like the upper arm, even collarbone was okay, just a very odd vibration that went through my entire body. 

I need my other inner bicep done (feel odd not having this design creep all the way around the arm) but am putting it off because of the other side. Worth it in the end! 

• 3 weeks later...

My ribs hurt pretty bad, but I think my pelvis takes the cake. It was a very varying spot, when he was at the stomach I couldnt feel the needle at all. But when he hit the pelvic bones I got all dizzy and teared up. I layed on my back during the session, and when he was done I didnt dare to stand up for like 5 min. I just chilled out on the bench drinking water and taking deep breaths. xD It felt like I was being kicked over and over again in the stomach while being hungry for days.

On October 21, 2010 at 12:42 AM, Perez said:

Dude you'd never know it, you sat like a lil champion when I did your ribs!

My ribs F***ing killed and so far they're only lined, I had my chest done all in one 4 hour shot by Bailey Robinson, I was actually weeping by the end.

So far the sternum part of my chest was by far the most painful of my tattoos.  I did a 6 hour and forty minute session that night and got the whole thing done.  I was mellow for a week after that bad boy. 

I never had a tattoo before, but my sister had some small tattooed on her left hand, between 2 fingers and this one on her nape, she told me that having a tattoo on fingers is one of the most painful. Especially your skin was thin and therefore sensitive. I think I’m going to do this one on my fingers or heel or wrist (bcz I really love it) but after my sis saying that I was worried a little bit, sure, I'm a scared person....

On 11/6/2017 at 1:36 AM, Donelly1991 said:

I never had a tattoo before, but my sister had some small tattooed on her left hand, between 2 fingers and this one on her nape, she told me that having a tattoo on fingers is one of the most painful. Especially your skin was thin and therefore sensitive. I think I’m going to do this one on my fingers or heel or wrist (bcz I really love it) but after my sis saying that I was worried a little bit, sure, I'm a scared person....

12 minutes ago, Gingerninja said:

So, tattoos hurt. Some more than others and the pain experience varies from person to person on the same spot. @Donelly1991 I've had my wrist tattooed twice and didn't even feel it. Other people say that the wrist really hurts. You won't know until you do it!

what @Gingerninja said, and I have all my fingers tattooed and that was a very easy spot for me,many people say knees and elbows are really bad and my knees and elbows were also easy for me,

and @Donnelly1991 ,no offense but it sounds like your sister really doesn't have too much to compare pain levels to with only 2 small tattoos,

don't let the pain discourage you,it's not as bad as you think,and if you are that worried,then maybe don't get tattooed.

2 hours ago, Dan said:

what @Gingerninja said, and I have all my fingers tattooed and that was a very easy spot for me,many people say knees and elbows are really bad and my knees and elbows were also easy for me,

and @Donnelly1991 ,no offense but it sounds like your sister really doesn't have too much to compare pain levels to with only 2 small tattoos,

don't let the pain discourage you,it's not as bad as you think,and if you are that worried,then maybe don't get tattooed.

Oh, thanks Dan and Gengerninja for all of your advice. I was worried because I had sensitive skin. Will check with my doctor before do it, but I think this is my chance to change myself :D and hope to receive useful advice from you two