Most painful spot to get tattooed

Lochlan

Just got my foot done yesterday, it was a lot better than what I had expected. There was a spot close to my big toe, one on the very top of my foot, and one in the middle, all about the size of a dime that freaking killed. Most of the rest of my foot that just felt like any other tattoo. There was also a big chunk where I felt nothing at all, zero pain, kinda weird. The worst has been the swelling, tomorrow's going to suck when I have to put shoes on and go to work.

-3.jpg

-2.jpg

Okay, here's the update. Hotstuff and Panther by Scott Sylvia. Kewpie and White Tiger by Bryan Burke. Both tattoos were done in 2 sittings, black in one sitting, color in the next.

Scotts side was about 5 1/2 hours. Bryans side was 4 1/2 hours total. I started Bryans side first but finished Scotts side first. I lagged on Bryan and was procrastinating getting it finished a bit because Scotts side hurt so bad. Bryan actually had to call me up and be like, "we finishing this tattoo we started or what?". Sorry Bryan.

Both these guys are quick as can be and for a painful spot like the ribs I really appreciated that. I gotta say the second sitting with Scott i was feeling a little nauseous and almost ready to tap out towards the end. Scott hurt more!

God damn these are crazy!

I just had an hour and a half tattoo appointment as part of my sleeve that was for my inner bicep area. I figured that it was going to hurt like hell and that on the pain factor scale it was going to be high. I guess once the artist started, it turned out to be not as bad as I thought. still hurt but it was bearable. The lower part of the area was a bit swollen after but it was fine the morning after.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've done 12 hours on my back in the past three days. Six the first day, then a day of rest, then six today.

I went in with the mindset that the back is one of the most painful places to get tattooed, and specifically the love handles and ass (Valerie Vargas' posts re clients automatic reactions sunk in). Probably because of this I was a lot cleaner in the run-up to this week than for anything else I've done. Very little alcohol, lots and lots of sleep all week. The end result was that the first day actually felt OK, a lot better than I expected. To me it felt like towards the end it was beginning to bite more because of the time involved than because of the location.

Today was a little harder, it started to get sore around lunchtime. I figure that whatever stock of endorphins I had built back up by resting yesterday just didn't go as far. At the four hour mark today I was feeling like throwing in the towel, but then Ching sat me up (I'd been lying on my stomach) and this totally pepped me up - it was weird, I was feeling nauseous but just the change of position made a huge difference. I actually felt like the last two hours were OK... Although then again I was also getting my upper back worked and I feel like around the shoulder blade was easier than lower down towards the love-handles / ass.

In conclusion: I'm a convert to the no-drinking-in-the-run-up approach, and I reckon as much sleep as possible is important. The only other thing I came away with is that taking the day off between the two sessions felt like a really good idea. I have no doubt that going straight into it yesterday morning would have had me wanting to tap far earlier.

My girlfriend has been watching anxiously, because she's got a pretty gruelling schedule planned for next year. Four sessions in two weeks in Japan. I think, after this week, that it is do-able. I feel like I could get tattooed next week (if I really had to).

• 2 weeks later...

I had my side line work done yesterday...so I experienced all kinds of new pain...ribs are really painful. Pelvic bone...PAINFUL. What was done on my butt hurt, not too bad though. Upper ribs under my arm was brutal. What was done on my stomach was crazy too...the whole thing hurt basically except the fat around my waist (first time ever I am glad I cant seem to lose the "love handles"). But the area by my nipple...excruciating. I seriously thought I might start crying.

Cant wait to go back to have it colored. :D

The observation about right side of the body versus left side of the body is interesting - I suspect it comes down to, as you say, how you feel about it.

It reminded me that when I was getting my back done I had this bizarre thing where I was convinced that (lying on my stomach) it didn't feel as sore if I had my head turned to the right - like, arms folded, my left cheek on the mat and I'm looking to my right. When I turned to the left it felt more uncomfortable. I'm sure it was totally in my mind.

Another poster mentioned it feeling better when fattier areas were tattooed. For me I've always felt the opposite, that there is less stretching / messing around when going over smoother, leaner parts of the body where the skin is taut - and consequently it goes quicker?