Most painful spot to get tattooed

Lochlan

Around the sternum really sucked. Especially right below the sternum was very bad and painful.

I hear a lot of people saying the collarbone is bad, while this was the most comfortable place for me while getting my chest piece.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, I'm new to this so appreciate my post is well after the start of this convo, but having tattoos on my ankle bone, my wrists and all down my side including all ribs I would have to say my under foot tattoos were by far the most unpleasant in pain, they were my first so perhaps that effected memory, however the pain after they were done was pretty epic too. Still worth it and I love them :)

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely bottom of the foot, arch
definitely agree!

My feet, forearm, ribs, back and leg all hurt and I don't think I could quantify one hurting more than the other. I think mostly it depends on your psychological state on the day you're getting tattooed. I have a firend ask me if my feet hurt more than other places yesterday because all he had was a small one on his foot and I just thought who cares they all hurt and it doesn't matter.

Back of calf was an eye opener for sure, dont know how much it had to do with not sleeping or eating before hand but it sucked none the less.

I posted in here before about how horrible my inner arm was, and I completely stand by that post--that was the only time I have literally gasped in pain while getting tattooed--but I've had a bunch more tattooing on my inner arms since and I think the problem with that really painful session was that I'd slept for around two hours the night (morning of really, fuck working nights) of the tattoo. Getting tattooed on very little sleep is the absolute fucking worst.

I posted in here before about how horrible my inner arm was, and I completely stand by that post--that was the only time I have literally gasped in pain while getting tattooed--but I've had a bunch more tattooing on my inner arms since and I think the problem with that really painful session was that I'd slept for around two hours the night (morning of really, fuck working nights) of the tattoo. Getting tattooed on very little sleep is the absolute fucking worst.

Ye man fully agree, 10x worse.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got the insides of my pinkies tattooed which surprisingly didn't bother me at all.. Especially when I was hearing "you're about to hate me, I have to make sure it's deep". I have my foot and ribs which are supposedly two of the most painful.. I am planning on getting my other foot done! As for ribs.. The lower it went the more painful it was for me. I guess it lived up to its painful reputation.

I'm actually a little surprised to see people say their back was painful. My biggest piece is on my back and it was a piece of cake. It bled a lot for some reason but didn't hurt me at all and healed really quickly. I want more on my back for sure!

Few questions

Does your day affect how you are? I know someone mentioned your psyche going into the parlor that day but I was wondering if that has to do with if you are tired or didn't get enough sleep, etc?? I am just wondering since I got my most recent tattoo after a half day of work, still not a full day but it was work. I had gotten my other tattoos on the weekends where it was the only thing I did that day. I also was alone this last session whereas I had a friend w/ me during the other sessions. This session was bad, but maybe it could have been how he tattooed? I was all shakey toward the ending of it and that had never happened to me before

Does having muscle or fat help with the pain getting tattoos? (Skinny vs fat vs muscular person getting a tattoo) Or does a place, like the stomach or ribs always hurt no matter what? Back? Arm? etc

@Jnvlv - being tired doesn't matter to me, but getting cold has a huge effect so I have to stay warm (tea during breaks, warm clothing). Once I start shaking, the end is near. Shaking can be from slowly getting cold and also if you don't get some sugar in you for longer sessions. My guy says sometimes you just can't tell how you'll sit. You might have a fight with your partner and that could give you stress and make it a bad session, or it could give you some anger that can funnel into keeping you going. I'm not sure you can break everything down by basing it on everyone else's experiences, but keeping a log of what works and what doesn't work for you. I read somewhere here that hangovers definitely make it worse and sometimes food choices affect how your GI tract reacts. I have to be really careful about what I eat before and during or things can get ugly. My experience is longer sittings. The first 3 hours don't make much difference and I see that number thrown out a lot - three hours. For anything longer, that's when my planning pays off with the tea, candy, hydration, etc. Good luck!

@Jnvlv - being tired doesn't matter to me, but getting cold has a huge effect so I have to stay warm (tea during breaks, warm clothing). Once I start shaking, the end is near. Shaking can be from slowly getting cold and also if you don't get some sugar in you for longer sessions. My guy says sometimes you just can't tell how you'll sit. You might have a fight with your partner and that could give you stress and make it a bad session, or it could give you some anger that can funnel into keeping you going. I'm not sure you can break everything down by basing it on everyone else's experiences, but keeping a log of what works and what doesn't work for you. I read somewhere here that hangovers definitely make it worse and sometimes food choices affect how your GI tract reacts. I have to be really careful about what I eat before and during or things can get ugly. My experience is longer sittings. The first 3 hours don't make much difference and I see that number thrown out a lot - three hours. For anything longer, that's when my planning pays off with the tea, candy, hydration, etc. Good luck!

I always try & get a good night's sleep the night before,

I pre-hydrate for a couple days before,no alcohol the day before & the day of until after the tattoo,

I eat a good healthy meal before,

I bring a small ice chest with at least 3 bottles of cold water to drink during,

I bring skittles,M&M's,a banana,and beef jerky to eat during.

you are right at least for me,keeping my sugars & proteins & potassium up helps tons.

I also drink a lemon water and take vitamins & herbal supplements daily.

I like a fan blowing near me during also,

IMO this all helps me a lot for getting tattoos.

I always try & get a good night's sleep the night before,

I pre-hydrate for a couple days before,no alcohol the day before & the day of until after the tattoo,

I eat a good healthy meal before,

I bring a small ice chest with at least 3 bottles of cold water to drink during,

I bring skittles,M&M's,a banana,and beef jerky to eat during.

you are right at least for me,keeping my sugars & proteins & potassium up helps tons.

I also drink a lemon water and take vitamins & herbal supplements daily.

I like a fan blowing near me during also,

IMO this all helps me a lot for getting tattoos.

I think this is GREAT advice that I will use for my next tattoo and especially for a longer session :D

I think preparing is very important I have noticed, at least for me. I don't think I could ever just randomly walk in a shop and get a tattoo lol I guess if it was just small writing then maybe, but I'd rather really be prepared mentally and physically. I try to make my tattoo sessions on weekends and THAT IS ALL I do all day. Get good rest, eat well, drink, get the tattoo and then rest and heal.

The potassium/sugars is something I'll add into my diet around getting a tattoo. Also, temperature control too