Least painful spot for a tattoo

Lochlan

For myself personally, the lower arms have always been a breeze no matter what. Its as if I almost glide into the studio looking forward to those sittings! Outer arm and top of my shoulder where also relatively easy...

Someone once told me that the elbow was really really painful (just incase - really), and so before we started the session that would hit that area I asked my mate who was tattooing me what he thought. He said "it doesn't hurt... it just feels wrong". So an hour or so into it, he's moved my arm into position and I knew what was coming, or at least thought I did... I looked up at him, didn't need to say a word (the weird look on my face would have said much more than words could have) he looked at me and just said "told you". It didn't hurt, it just felt wrong...

Oh and my calf was a breeze, BUT the friend who did that piece has one of the lightest touches I've ever come across

I think it all depends on who's doing it, to be honest. My lower arm, on the inside, was a real breeze though. When it comes up to the inside of your elbow it hurts a little, but other than that I thought it was nothing. With that being said though, I hadn't seen my tattoo artist for a little while, so my mind may have been taken off the whole thing by our constant chatting, haha.

My inner bicep really hurt with one tattoo, and didn't hurt at all with another, so maybe I'm just really sensitive to however someone's working more than anything. Two different tattooers have hit those spots, you see.

• 6 months later...

I believe the nerve endings on the torso are more sensitive as to protect your organs from being damaged or at least to let you realize the severity of an injury in that area. Boney areas feel more like road rash ( think skinned knee ), muscle areas aren't too bad but fatty areas can feel like they're being cut. Areas of your body that get banged up semi often (outside of you arms) are going to generally hurt less than the back of your knees or inside of your arms. And... A skilled artist will hurt less than an amateur.

@Reyeslv - Serious? (in regards to your back) That gives me some hope... or do you just have some crazy pain threshold?

Not sure on the my pain threshold..... but when I was getting my back done I was lying on my stomach so I found that helped to relax. Don't get me wrong it didn't tickle :eek: and it was the outline, which I find more uncomfortable then shading.....

I'm getting the shading for the back done soon so hopefully I won't be posting in "Most painful spots to get tattooed!" :p

• 3 years later...

Just putting my (delayed) pennies-worth in.

Ankles are a killer. A killer! Back of calf was OK and the top of my foot was fine - just a tiny spot near the toes pinched a bit.

By far the easiest was my upper chest - above the boob, below the collar bone. Not even a discomfort. A lovely day out to the stabby-needle-inky shop.

Behind the ear was pain free pretty much...

I would rank my tattoos like this.

1. Least painful - behind ears.

2. Hand near thumbs

3. Hand under pinkie finger

4. Upper part of wrist

5. Nape

6. Bottom of wrist

7. Lower back - most painful

So far my left side has been much easier than my right side part for part. I definitely prefer single needle work to fillers. And it is easier for me to watch than to not watch.

My left bicep was by far the easiest. It did not hurt at all and it healed very easy. It is all single needle, and he has a light hand.

• 2 weeks later...