Phoenix Tattoo Expo Brawl over Deposit (news story link)

Kev

• 2 weeks later...
I've been in the Phoenix area since April 0f 2010. Finally getting into get something from Aaron at the end of April.

I would love to get something done from him. Unfortunately for my tattoo collection I just bought a house so not too many tattoo road trips in the near future. Oh well, soon enough. Can't wait to see your tattoo.

• 3 weeks later...
the body art expo is one of the biggest pile of shit conventions there is. scratcher fest. do not ever support this event in any city or you are supporting the enemy of quality tattooing.

Not sure if you saw the stuff flying around on FB or not but they are trying to do a show in Philly this October.......Word going around was that Troy was going to do a Fall show as well so......I think they are stepping on some serious toes in Philly!

I'm always amazed that people don't know what "deposit" means. What do they think, that if they back out and we're out the work hours it becomes a loan? The whole reason we take them is in the event you don't get tattooed..."it's not *my* fault I got drunk and forgot my tattoo. Gimme my money back."

Aside from that, there's just too many of these things and so many run by outsiders and show promoters w no ties to the industry. Then they're run like ass, they're stepping on toes and don't care about the artist so they get hacks and everybody loses -- the industry guys who have to compete w outsiders in their own towns, the venue, the customers, whatever artists got suckered in (who cares if the scratchers lose) and our industry as a whole when potential venues and attendees think this is what to expect.

All the best shows are put on by artists and enthusiast friends of the industry who have made this their family, self-police the event and actually care about the non-monetary benefits of the show.