"The Amateur Tattooist" via Reddit

Kev

My first exposure to people my age being tattooed was early 90's high school. Some punk rock skater friends of mine had gotten machines somehow (pre-internet) and started tattooing themselves and others with tribal and skate logos. They were usually on ankles or places they could be hidden from parents, unless those parents read the yearbook, because there was a whole article in it about tattooing as a trend. The quality of those 'tatz' turned me off to tattooing and I don't think I saw a good tattoo until I moved into Houston ten years later.

Ironically, I got into getting tattooed myself when I went with a friend to have his high school scratcher tattoo covered at a real shop :)

My first exposure to people my age being tattooed was early 90's high school. Some punk rock skater friends of mine had gotten machines somehow (pre-internet)

Spaulding would sell to anyone with an address, professional or not. My roommate got a 'starter kit' back in 92, not knowing any better than the rest of us at that point, and went to our friend Tux about letting him tattoo himself there at the shop under his supervision. Tux looked at the 'pumas' he got and snorted & said "what is this, a necklace or a hood ornament?" hahahaha

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
I would hate to have the eyes of a dumbass.... In what world do those tattoos, or even when they were drawings on paper, look good.... It's really just mind boggling to me... People who are cheap in tattoos are just idiots.

I doubt they were drawn on paper first... sad, like 4-year olds who find scissors laying around give themselves or each other haircuts. Except those grow out or can be buzzed off.

Rob

• 3 months later...

...*facepalm*... my first tattoo(that i did) was on my own foot (putting needle to skin i just..didnt want to subject anyone else, i knew how they should feel..gave me a good judge of pressure and now im fairly gentle handed)..it was script..and its still totally legible with smooth lines, spacing, etc..... I do not understand how someone can screw up that badly., it makes absolutely no sense to me..

yes i had professional help etc..but regardless..eeeeeeeeeeeven if you were to YOUTUBE proper machine set up???it should go better than THAT.... sigh...not that i condone that either..but there is enough info on the internet at this point to make that crap completely completely inexcusable..

natural. selection.

• 5 months later...