"The Amateur Tattooist" via Reddit

Kev

I've kept somewhat in touch with a girl I went to high school with, and for a couple months, her dream was to be a tattoo artist. Actually, her specific dream was to win on Ink Master and open her own shop. She doesn't have a single tattoo. She tattooed on some oranges, and went straight to skin a couple weeks later under the guidance of a "professional tattoo artist" (she never did say who). She churned out some real crap in that time period. I told her she needed to slow down and practice some more, because her drawings were nowhere near the level of being permanently on someone's skin. She basically told me I didn't know anything and she was doing everything exactly right because her "professional" teacher told her to do it that way.

She hasn't said a word about tattooing in several months. She's the kind of person that fleets from one goal to another without any dedication. Before this, her dream for a few months was to make custom bows and arrows just because she's obsessed with The Hunger Games and her favorite character uses bows and arrows. Sigh.

It makes me sad that people treat something so permanent so carelessly. But if anyone looked at her drawings and thought "Yeah I want that on me forever," they kind of deserve whatever they get.

I've kept somewhat in touch with a girl I went to high school with, and for a couple months, her dream was to be a tattoo artist. Actually, her specific dream was to win on Ink Master and open her own shop. She doesn't have a single tattoo. She tattooed on some oranges, and went straight to skin a couple weeks later under the guidance of a "professional tattoo artist" (she never did say who). She churned out some real crap in that time period. I told her she needed to slow down and practice some more, because her drawings were nowhere near the level of being permanently on someone's skin. She basically told me I didn't know anything and she was doing everything exactly right because her "professional" teacher told her to do it that way.

She hasn't said a word about tattooing in several months. She's the kind of person that fleets from one goal to another without any dedication. Before this, her dream for a few months was to make custom bows and arrows just because she's obsessed with The Hunger Games and her favorite character uses bows and arrows. Sigh.

It makes me sad that people treat something so permanent so carelessly. But if anyone looked at her drawings and thought "Yeah I want that on me forever," they kind of deserve whatever they get.

Just as well she never picked up branding irons.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

ugh..... im sorry but scratchers fucking irk me. I was friends with a young girl who often spruked about her tattooist bpyfriend. then I met him and learnt he wasn't actually a tattooist- he was just someone who acquired some equipment and stencils and did really shit work on himself, his girlfriend and their mates. another old friend began hanging around them and I bumped into her months later noticing some new tattoos- she had a design down her forearm and no lie- the colouring was about as good as a VERY young childs. gaps everywhere and even went out the lines!! and she had the hide to talk about how GOOD he was?!?!?!?! I don't know what pisses me off most- the scratcher scaring so many people or the dipshit friends who promote their scribbles as something of worth.....

im all for getting a tattoo by a friend who has never used a machine for memory sake or shits n giggles if that's what you want to do- but to have somebody not even practice on anything aside from real people and talk themselves up as if they are professionals?????

I really regret now that I've spent years trying to become a good artist and consider going to study fine arts for a couple years before even looking into an apprenticeship. Man, I could have started tattooing BEFORE I learned how to draw! Who knew?

Next stop, ebay!

I seriously don't understand how people can be such idiots. I know the part of your brain which makes you aware of the consequences of your actions isn't fully developed as a kid, but these people are adults! Come on. Get tested! For.. Everything.

LOL. Yep, check out e-bay for Chinese Tattoo Kits. Unreal, 4 guns- power supply, 100 needles - 60 color inks - rubber bands, grommets, the whole freakin 9 yards of crap, all in a carrying case, for a whoppin $29.99 free shipping. Its a joke. Try to tune one of those machines. try all you want, its never gonna perform, EVER. An outfit, of quality, with the items listed above, is gonna get 100X that china price. So you gotta figure the tattoo work is gonna be roughly, oh say, 100X better as well. lol

I dont mind scratchers , honestly , as long as its not you they are scratching then who cares ? they keep the waiting lists down ...

The biggest side effect from it I think is that it gives people the impression that tattooing is just a hobby. Ordering kits for other professions wouldn't pass for most folks, I mean you can't order dental kits from the sears and robuck catalog anymore. "Yeah, come over to my house. I'll do that root canal for free man!"

"Don't worry, I sprayed everything with alcohol"

• 1 month later...