Homemade and Jailhouse Tattoos

Dan S

@Dan S are you blurring swazys or other WP images out? or just gang symbols you want to keep off the internet? I dont mind seeing them but understand if they could get them in trouble.

Just blurred out actual identifiers. A few of those Brothers are dead, a few are in the joint, at least two are on the street, and I don't want to casue anyone problems.

"Lamp black" or candle-soot...in a joint in Kali? Dude...where'd you cell?

Folsom. Ink was impossible to get at the time. There was one time a guy got a hold of a bottle of black ink, didnt know the C.O.s had cut it with a bit of ammonia. needless to say it wouldnt stay under the skin. lol

- - - Updated - - -

You can now post pictures of jail, prison and homemade tattoos in 'Gallery.' under 'Prison Tattoos.'

I really dig the variations I've seen of the Russian prison epaulette tattoo handled in a more traditional manner . This one is by Rudy Fritsch who does great tattoos in a very distinctive style .

Rudy Fritsch Original Classic Tattoo

Weird, been seeing a handful of these pop up lately. Last time I was at King's Ave in the city Grez was doing a pair on a guy.

A guy came into the shop the other day and wanted color added to a full sleeve of jail tattoos.. We were wary of doing it.. but I was ridiculously impressed with the detail and smoothness of the greywash.. I really don't know what they were using? Pen ink I am going to assume..but whoever did it clearly knew how to deposit into the skin... Terrifies me every time i see a jail tat in a world with other options.. this sleeve was legit prison work...not just people trying it prison style.. but the work was better than a lot i have seen come from local shops.

Made me wonder!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Back when I was first interested in doing tattoos I poked with a needle and india ink. But it wasn't quick enough. Silly me, I had already got a few and I needed a machine.

In my case, the wanna be rock star, and the soon to be wannabe tattoo guy (read: cheap and dipshit) built a machine. Upgraded prison meat grinder and a fuckin' rotary. I did a few more than a few, before finding the weirdest shop to start off in. At least by my mind.

Granted, I was no where near the above shirt in tallent/skill in a super septic environment, but I did change guitar strings and BIC pen tubes. My non BBP knowin' ass.

Makes me wish I had pictures from back then, this thread does.