New guy with some questions

Blank

Are California tattooist better?

There's just so many amazing artists around in Cali. I live in northern Florida, and there's just not as many around here or even ones who travel here. Of course, mike wilson and the dudes at Inksmiths are an exception. And big

Kahuna, but thats 9 hrs out of the way

I don't plan on having a lot of tattoos, but I'd like to have one really nice, unique piece. The ones I have are pretty tame. I think I can just add and eagle or a panther to the one on my shoulder and have something really cool.

Now that is what I am talking about. I would make sure you find a guy who does good traditional work for those. I would suggest Rob @ flying panther or Chris @ Avalon II.

Now that is what I am talking about. I would make sure you find a guy who does good traditional work for those. I would suggest Rob @ flying panther or Chris @ Avalon II.

Cool, thanks. Checked out both those sites. This tattoo from Alessio at Avalon II really caught my eye.

Instead of USA in the scroll, put USMC. Shrink it down a bit to fit the shoulder and that could be a winner!

I know I'm a little late to the party, but personally I wouldn't think of getting a tattoo until I have at least $500 saved up. I've learned the hard way in my starving student days getting a tattoo on a budget doesnt always work out like you hope. But that's just me... Good luck man!

Pick an artist you like and go talk to them.........then save up the money you need to get done what you want done!

At least you won't be floored now when you find out you probably won't get it covered up for $200 and why consider building around a tattoo you already are thinking you want covered? Like I said....go talk with someone....you aren't wasting their time if you are serious about getting tattooed by them!

:)

All, thanks for the pointers. Much appreciated. I think I can bump the budget up to the $300 range plus tip. I think if I went any more than that my wife would never let me hear the end of it. Got to put everything in perspective. I know it probably sounds very weenieish, but a $500+ tattoo is just out of the question for me. I think I'm going to just poke my head in to a couple of local shops and look around and talk to some tatooists. I'm still having a little difficulty figuring out exactly what I want, hopefully they can give me some ideas. I assume checking a place out in the day (like early afternoon) would better than at night when the walk-ins show up. I don't want to keep anyone from business with a ton of questions.

people walk in whenever they have time, that's why they're walk-ins.

sometimes tattooers will tell you to set up some time to talk, other times they'll just tattoo and talk to you (steve boltz gave a man very solid advice while tattooing my arm)

Most shops have a bad review online if you look for it.

That's the thing with online reviews, while useful a lot of times there's always those people out there who are determined to have an awful experience no matter how hard you try to please them.

If you like the work go talk to them and see what's up.

I think it depends on the content of the review. If you checked out their portfolio, you should be able to see the quality of their work. Reviews can let you know if the tattooer's an asshole before you go talk to 'em or give you some insight as to the atmosphere of the shop. gotta take all good and bad reviews with a grain of salt and judge for yourself.

only thing i know about mirimar is that's where they trained in top gun!

This thread has opened up a lot of questions in the search for my next tattoo artist/ tattoo. I am looking to get a traditional japanese backpeice done sometime in the near future. My dilemma is that I am a college student who has to pay for tuition. I was wondering if I was to start this backpeice with at least five hundred down would it be benificiary for me to do this design in peices? Or would it be better to wait till I have the money saved for the total cost of the project? I am also not willing to move my peice from my back to other extremities such as my arms or my legs.

I believe that most tattooers have an hourly rate. Find the artist you want to do your backpiece and figure out their hourly rate. Discuss the tattoo you want to get and ask how long it will take them to get thru the first session. bust out your abacus or slide rule and bingo... you know how much your first session will be.

(remember to tip)

This thread has opened up a lot of questions in the search for my next tattoo artist/ tattoo. I am looking to get a traditional japanese backpeice done sometime in the near future. My dilemma is that I am a college student who has to pay for tuition. I was wondering if I was to start this backpeice with at least five hundred down would it be benificiary for me to do this design in peices? Or would it be better to wait till I have the money saved for the total cost of the project? I am also not willing to move my peice from my back to other extremities such as my arms or my legs.

My opinion is to have all the money needed for a tattoo before you get it (or at least 3 months worth) otherwise you could sit watching the clock, ruining the experience and ending up with a half done tattoo for awhile. I say maybe break it up like I am with my arm. I think its a bit easier with traditional all American than japense but talk with your artist as their opinion carries the most weight.

Anyone familiar with Rose Tattoo in Miramar? A friend recommended the shop but when I looked it up it got a mixed reviews. The portfolio looks pretty good, but should I be concerned if there are a few bad reviews?

I grew up right near Miramar. You go there for two things - tacos and furniture.

I grew up right near Miramar. You go there for two things - tacos and furniture.

Well, like almost every Marine Corps base Miramar has a few tattoo shops. Got my first tattoo at a shop outside the gate of MCB Quantico, the second was at a shop right outside the gates of NAS Pensacola.

Most shops have a bad review online if you look for it.

That's the thing with online reviews, while useful a lot of times there's always those people out there who are determined to have an awful experience no matter how hard you try to please them.

If you like the work go talk to them and see what's up.

His portfolio looks good and he charges $70/hour. Finally got an e-mail from Champ at Guru. He charges $150-200/hour and has over a 2 month wait.

I think it depends on the content of the review. If you checked out their portfolio, you should be able to see the quality of their work. Reviews can let you know if the tattooer's an asshole before you go talk to 'em or give you some insight as to the atmosphere of the shop. gotta take all good and bad reviews with a grain of salt and judge for yourself.

only thing i know about mirimar is that's where they trained in top gun!

I'm sure the guy does a ton of work with the Marines right there (holy crap do Marines love tattoos). My concern is that there are some really bad reviews on-line about the shop. Can't tell if it's just a couple of bitter clients or if there is a real issue.

@Blank, is it possible for you to just go to the shop? Can't beat a one-on-one interaction.

Yes, I can visit. The problem is that I live in Escondido and San Diego is a big place. A lot of the shops being recommended are all over the city. I really don't want to drive all over the place doing interviews with artists or get in with the guy 40 miles away and find out that a simple eagle is going to cost $500. I might even check out some street shops in Escondido. To be perfectly honest, I do not have a very critical eye when it comes to tattoos. I've looked at literally dozens and dozens of local portfolios and they all look pretty similar. A couple really stood out as superior (which I'm sure are out of my price range) and a couple were just real bad, but the huge majority seemed very much the same. How do you know when you've found the right guy?

How do you know when you've found the right guy?

When you go in and talk to him :D Or when you see that one eagle that makes you say, YES, that's the one. I get that you're not planning on going and getting covered in tattoos and I'm not saying you need to exhaust yourself going to every shop, but wouldn't hurt to take an afternoon and drive that half an hour to check out one or two you think you might like. And if you can find that gem where they do great work and you feel a connection? Even better.

Spending a bunch of time on the internet wringing your hands about it and sending emails won't be nearly as productive as just going and checking some spots out. It'd make a nice little day, too, visit some shops, grab some lunch.. worse things have happened.

@Blank you're starting to sound more and more and more like the customer everyone can't stand.

Quit posting and GO TO A TATTOO SHOP

Then come back and tell is what happened if you want.

At this point you're not going to find out anything new without going into a shop.

As far as the guy who charges $200 an hour and has a two month wait VS the $70 an hour walk in guy. I shouldn't have to explain this because it seems obvious to me but the $200 an hour, booked till the moon guy is probably a much better tattooer than the other one.

If driving around all day to find someone competent to do the work is too much of a hassle, you don't need to be getting tattoos. Put the $200 you plan on spending towards a nice day out with your family.