New guy with some questions

Blank

If you live in Escondido,then go check out 454 Tattoo and Body Piercing | Encinitas, CA 92024 I was at the shop last year,and they do real nice work.I was talking with Brian S.and his portfolio looked real nice.Dave Hartman@ Big Fish Tattoo ? A Tattoo Shop in Solana Beach, California - (858) 259-7200 is another good tattooer.

@Blank you're starting to sound more and more and more like the customer everyone can't stand.

Quit posting and GO TO A TATTOO SHOP

Then come back and tell is what happened if you want.

At this point you're not going to find out anything new without going into a shop.

As far as the guy who charges $200 an hour and has a two month wait VS the $70 an hour walk in guy. I shouldn't have to explain this because it seems obvious to me but the $200 an hour, booked till the moon guy is probably a much better tattooer than the other one.

If driving around all day to find someone competent to do the work is too much of a hassle, you don't need to be getting tattoos. Put the $200 you plan on spending towards a nice day out with your family.

I'm really not trying to be a PITA. Just trying to learn as much as I can. You guys have been very helpful and patient and I appreciate it. I am going to drop by a couple of shops tomorrow and check them out.

there is so much chat on this thread about numbers....who gives a shit. If you like the person,if you like the work, thats all that matters. there are so many good tattooers nowadays that I have never heard of. ''long after the sweetness of a cheap price has worn off,the tattoo is still there'' .....everyday I am confronted with shoppers, Its tiresome. this kind of crap, is why very few know who I am, I burned out and quit. If ya aint got no bread, ya cant get a tattoo. just remember,for the 1 that's tryin there's 20 that suck, and have no business in it. A lot of the people on here live nowhere near San Diego. Turn off your computer, start walkin, drive your car, get a buddy to drive ya,take the bus,whatever.go get a mark. It might suck,It might be a good one. At least,start livin.wow I just looked at yer profile ,an almost retired marine ,yer supposed to have some crappy devil dog already.hell I just did one yesterday and Im nowhere near a marine base.....Here's the problem nowadays,...too many options.Too many choices.Its just a fu#KIN tattoo.

Yes, I can visit. The problem is that I live in Escondido and San Diego is a big place. A lot of the shops being recommended are all over the city. I really don't want to drive all over the place doing interviews with artists or get in with the guy 40 miles away and find out that a simple eagle is going to cost $500. I might even check out some street shops in Escondido. To be perfectly honest, I do not have a very critical eye when it comes to tattoos. I've looked at literally dozens and dozens of local portfolios and they all look pretty similar. A couple really stood out as superior (which I'm sure are out of my price range) and a couple were just real bad, but the huge majority seemed very much the same. How do you know when you've found the right guy?

there is so much chat on this thread about numbers....who gives a shit. If you like the person,if you like the work, thats all that matters. there are so many good tattooers nowadays that I have never heard of. ''long after the sweetness of a cheap price has worn off,the tattoo is still there'' .....everyday I am confronted with shoppers, Its tiresome. this kind of crap, is why very few know who I am, I burned out and quit. If ya aint got no bread, ya cant get a tattoo. just remember,for the 1 that's tryin there's 20 that suck, and have no business in it. A lot of the people on here live nowhere near San Diego. Turn off your computer, start walkin, drive your car, get a buddy to drive ya,take the bus,whatever.go get a mark. It might suck,It might be a good one. At least,start livin.wow I just looked at yer profile ,an almost retired marine ,yer supposed to have some crappy devil dog already.hell I just did one yesterday and Im nowhere near a marine base.....Here's the problem nowadays,...too many options.Too many choices.Its just a fu#KIN tattoo.

I hear ya'. I'm definitely over-thinking this whole thing. Checking some places out tomorrow. The funny thing is with the two tattoos I have already, I didn't put much more that 5 minutes of thought in to them and they turned out pretty good. The first was after I finished basic training and decided "what the hell?". I was coming back from McDonalds and dediced to stop in at the shop outside Quantico. The second was about ten years later when a buddy came over to the house completely out of the blue and said "Hey, let's go get some tattoos". I said "OK" and off we went to the nearest shop right outside the gate. After reading some of my previous posts, I guess I am being a PITA.

what is a PITA? yeah ,every body over thinks this shit nowadays,too much education.......OHH....pain in the ass.....anyways, tattoos ....there supposed to be fun. Hell, Gil made a living at this shit for decades, Its ok......shitty ones are still tattoos...I cover em up with bigger ones almost everyday.

I hear ya'. I'm definitely over-thinking this whole thing. Checking some places out tomorrow. The funny thing is with the two tattoos I have already, I didn't put much more that 5 minutes of thought in to them and they turned out pretty good. The first was after I finished basic training and decided "what the hell?". I was coming back from McDonalds and dediced to stop in at the shop outside Quantico. The second was about ten years later when a buddy came over to the house completely out of the blue and said "Hey, let's go get some tattoos". I said "OK" and off we went to the nearest shop right outside the gate. After reading some of my previous posts, I guess I am being a PITA.

what is a PITA? yeah ,every body over thinks this shit nowadays,too much education.......OHH....pain in the ass.....anyways, tattoos ....there supposed to be fun. Hell, Gil made a living at this shit for decades, Its ok......shitty ones are still tattoos...I cover em up with bigger ones almost everyday.

i absolutely agree, tattoos should be fun! After my first over-thought, going-to-every-shop, price checking tattoo was done I found I was unhappy. Now that I go in and just say "hell I think a dagger would be cool" I found that I am much happier.

here's a perfect solution... go get tattooed by Marcus Kuhn during his guest spot at Full Circle. pretty sure you won't be disappointed.

Full Circle Tattoo | visualamor: Marcus Kuhn, the*Gypsy...

check out this site and get yourself stoked...

Marcus Kuhn's - The Gypsy Gentleman - Marcuskuhn

Thanks, but I'm going to keep it local to where I live in Escondido. Checked out a couple of places today. One was kind of creepy and one was very professional and just had a better vibe to me. Talked to the young lady behind the counter for a while and came up some ideas. Turns out that she's one of the tattooers, even though she looks like she's still in high school. Very friendly and has a really good portfolio. Going to send her some pictures of exactly what I'm thinking about and she said she would design something original and keep it in my budget.

I also found out that there is a tattoo school in Escondido. I was actually contacted by one of their guys who is having their artists take a look at what I want. Anyone familiar with this school? Tattoo Schools | How to Tattoo | Learn To Tattoo | Tattoo School

Thanks, but I'm going to keep it local to where I live in Escondido. Checked out a couple of places today. One was kind of creepy and one was very professional and just had a better vibe to me. Talked to the young lady behind the counter for a while and came up some ideas. Turns out that she's one of the tattooers, even though she looks like she's still in high school. Very friendly and has a really good portfolio. Going to send her some pictures of exactly what I'm thinking about and she said she would design something original and keep it in my budget.

Sounds like the way to go. If you like this artist's portfolio, and you like what she draws for you, get it done, then share pictures...

I also found out that there is a tattoo school in Escondido. I was actually contacted by one of their guys who is having their artists take a look at what I want. Anyone familiar with this school? Tattoo Schools | How to Tattoo | Learn To Tattoo | Tattoo School

No, but Great Googly Moogly! There is a reason any good artist you talk to will recommend a proper apprenticeship. If you want your tattoo to end up looking like some of those pig's feet (and, remember, those are the pictures they put up on their own website, so it's probably some of their best work *shudder*) at best, go right ahead!

Sounds like the way to go. If you like this artist's portfolio, and you like what she draws for you, get it done, then share pictures...

No, but Great Googly Moogly! There is a reason any good artist you talk to will recommend a proper apprenticeship. If you want your tattoo to end up looking like some of those pig's feet (and, remember, those are the pictures they put up on their own website, so it's probably some of their best work *shudder*) at best, go right ahead!

The girl was so young looking that it caught me by surprise. I thought she was the receptionist. The tattoo school was just something that came up that I had no idea even existed. I've lived here for 5 years and have never heard of this place. The pig's feet pictures are a little creepy.

i've never quite understood the issue with driving around town a bit, whether looking for tattoo shops or something else... i live 70 miles from the nearest good tattoo shops, including the one where i work. across town isn't the worst distance to travel, and neither is 40 minutes.

I agree. The longest I've driven for a tattoo is about an hour and a half each way, but I'd drive much further to get a tattoo from a tattooer I admire. The inconvenience of a long drive is nothing compared with a lifetime with a better tattoo.

I agree. The longest I've driven for a tattoo is about an hour and a half each way, but I'd drive much further to get a tattoo from a tattooer I admire. The inconvenience of a long drive is nothing compared with a lifetime with a better tattoo.

My "tattoo commute" is 1 to 1 and a half hour commute every 2 weeks. (NJ to NYC). I actually like go outside of my immediate area because then it feels a bit more "special" instead of running an errand like getting a pack of smokes from the store.

Yep. My artist is almost an hour away (and across a border). I did 13 sessions for my leg alone, sometimes driving back past midnight after a seven hour+ session.

I'll gladly do that to go to an artist I trust and like. This is not something I would personally skimp on or compromise about.

Also, the budget would be my last concern. First, figure out what you want, find someone you trust to do it, find out the price, and save until you can afford it. That's what I would do, but to each his or her own.

Yep. My artist is almost an hour away (and across a border). I did 13 sessions for my leg alone, sometimes driving back past midnight after a seven hour+ session.

I'll gladly do that to go to an artist I trust and like. This is not something I would personally skimp on or compromise about.

Also, the budget would be my last concern. First, figure out what you want, find someone you trust to do it, find out the price, and save until you can afford it. That's what I would do, but to each his or her own.

I understand your point of view, but keep in mind I am not a tattoo enthusiast. I just want a nice tattoo on my shoulder. I am not really concerned about how famous the artist is or that the shop is well known. Price is a big concern because I really do have to keep things in persepctive. I just spent $2,000 on a new road bike. I'm sure some of you would think that is crazy ($2000 for a bicycle?), but I am a cycling enthusiast and the price was worth it to me. That is my "thing". I'm sure your 13-session leg tattoo cost a small fortune as well, but that is your "thing". Please don't take any of this as a flame on tattoo enthusiasts. I'm just trying to explain my point of view. I'm just looking for a nice tattoo at a price that I am willing to pay. The artist's name is of no concern (I have no idea who did the two I already have). I think I found a good local shop and I hit it off with the artist. I told her what I want, gave her my price range and she said she could do it. We just need to come up with a final design.

I understand your point of view, but keep in mind I am not a tattoo enthusiast. I just want a nice tattoo on my shoulder. I am not really concerned about how famous the artist is or that the shop is well known. Price is a big concern because I really do have to keep things in persepctive. I just spent $2,000 on a new road bike. I'm sure some of you would think that is crazy ($2000 for a bicycle?), but I am a cycling enthusiast and the price was worth it to me. That is my "thing". I'm sure your 13-session leg tattoo cost a small fortune as well, but that is your "thing". Please don't take any of this as a flame on tattoo enthusiasts. I'm just trying to explain my point of view. I'm just looking for a nice tattoo at a price that I am willing to pay. The artist's name is of no concern (I have no idea who did the two I already have). I think I found a good local shop and I hit it off with the artist. I told her what I want, gave her my price range and she said she could do it. We just need to come up with a final design.

I think what people have been trying to tell you the whole time is if you want a good tattoo you have to pay the going rate, just like you did with the bike. Not being able to afford a tattoo and just being too cheap to pay for a good tattoo are two different things. You know a tattoo is permanent. I am not the guy who flies across the world to get tattoos and i don't need to get tattooed by famous tattooers I just know that tattooers have to make a living like anyone else, they have mortgages and children just like you. What you are setting yourself up for is a mediocre or bad tattoo, which I hope is not the case, but you get what you pay for. Not trying to be a dick but if you used your cycling hobby analogy, I would find it very disrespectful and probably ask you to leave the shop, so I would leave that part out.

Disclaimer: No offense intended. My expressed views are not a reflection of this website as a whole.

After reviewing this thread (especially your last analogy), you sound like you don't really want a tattoo, you just want a "tattoo". I know that sounds confusing but it's the best way I know to say it. If you really wanted a good tattoo you would loosen your hard set belief that you won't venture far and you won't spend even a decent amount of money on it. It sounds like you like the idea of a new tattoo but don't care enough to actual go and get a good one. If I am correct this is a viewpoint shared by more people than I care to admit that I know. They love the idea of getting tattooed but could care less who does it as long as it's cheap. For them it's similar to going t-shirt shopping. You kinda killed it for me when you said you dropped 2k on a bike, but before you were talking about having to pay for your family... It's either you are trying to be cheap on a tattoo and you are doing pretty good financially or you are reckless with money and dropped 2k on a bike and now want to get tattoo as well.

I think anything that was going to be said was said, and a ton of good advice was given. I feel that you are just trying to get justification from us here on going cheap, and/or trying to find a cheap tattooer in your town.

I understand where this guy's coming from.Like he said,he's not a collector like a lot of us on here.I believe he want's to get a good tattoo,but he's putting a certain price on the amount he want's to spend to get that.I think i know the artist he's getting tattooed by,and she does nice work.I consider myself a pretty serious collector,but some of the prices some tattooers charge are outrageous.I've been looking to buy a bike myself,but i'm not a serious rider,so i wouldn't spend 2,000.00 for a bike.I may spend 500.00 for a bike,but it doesn't mean the bike isn't going to be nice.

I understand where this guy's coming from.Like he said,he's not a collector like a lot of us on here.I believe he want's to get a good tattoo,but he's putting a certain price on the amount he want's to spend to get that.I think i know the artist he's getting tattooed by,and she does nice work.I consider myself a pretty serious collector,but some of the prices some tattooers charge are outrageous.I've been looking to buy a bike myself,but i'm not a serious rider,so i wouldn't spend 2,000.00 for a bike.I may spend 500.00 for a bike,but it doesn't mean the bike isn't going to be nice.

I can definitely see your point, but I guess what bugs me is that this whole budget thing was started under the premise of not having any money. I have gone to a shop with $200 bucks and got $200 tattoo because that is what I had on me.I understand not spending 2K on a tattoo, but if you want a $400-500 tattoo save up, don't lowball someone into doing it for $300, with some story about feeding your kids so you can drop 2K on a bike. Oh well I it's after five I think it's time for a beer here.