New guy with some questions

Blank

I can definitely see your point, but I guess what bugs me is that this whole budget thing was started under the premise of not having any money. I have gone to a shop with $200 bucks and got $200 tattoo because that is what I had on me.I understand not spending 2K on a tattoo, but if you want a $400-500 tattoo save up, don't lowball someone into doing it for $300, with some story about feeding your kids so you can drop 2K on a bike. Oh well I it's after five I think it's time for a beer here.

Yea that was what I was trying to get at.

I understand where this guy's coming from <snip> I've been looking to buy a bike myself,but i'm not a serious rider,so i wouldn't spend 2,000.00 for a bike.I may spend 500.00 for a bike,but it doesn't mean the bike isn't going to be nice.

You don't have to ride that bike every day for the rest of your life. If you did, you may save up for the $2000 model :p

I understand your point of view, but keep in mind I am not a tattoo enthusiast. I just want a nice tattoo on my shoulder. I am not really concerned about how famous the artist is or that the shop is well known.

Just for record, my artist is not famous, and the shop is a small local shop. They also happen to be the cheapest shop in town ($100 an hour) but I had no idea that was the case when I first went there. I gladly tip $100 at each session too (but I get the friends and family discount, so I'd feel really bad not tipping generously)

You don't have to ride that bike every day for the rest of your life. If you did, you may save up for the $2000 model :p

that being said, with the majority of locations on your body, you do have to look at a tattoo every day. so, if willing to save up and buy the "right" bike needed for one's situation, why not save up the correct amount of money and get the tatto done right?

that being said, with the majority of locations on your body, you do have to look at a tattoo every day. so, if willing to save up and buy the "right" bike needed for one's situation, why not save up the correct amount of money and get the tatto done right?

That was exactly my point.

Really didn't mean to stir the pot. I will admit that tattoos are a lot more expensive than I expected. With the bike analogy, I started with a $400 bike, then decided I really liked cycling and sold it for $500 (yes I made $100 on a used bike) and put that towards a $1000 bike. Which I sold later for $1200 and applied to the new bike. I logged in over 3500 miles last year on the bike. It's something I love to do and I was willing to pay a bit to get a nice bike.

Anyway, I have an appointment this Friday to get my tattoo. I never heard back from the girl in Escondido, so I decided to check out some places in Oceanside. Found one, talked to the artist and we came up with exactly what I am looking for. I can't freaking wait. I wanted to do it today, but he was booked. I appreciate everyone's honest input. This is absolutely the most mellow forum I've ever been on. I'll post pictures this weekend.

Disclaimer: No offense intended. My expressed views are not a reflection of this website as a whole.

After reviewing this thread (especially your last analogy), you sound like you don't really want a tattoo, you just want a "tattoo". I know that sounds confusing but it's the best way I know to say it. If you really wanted a good tattoo you would loosen your hard set belief that you won't venture far and you won't spend even a decent amount of money on it. It sounds like you like the idea of a new tattoo but don't care enough to actual go and get a good one. If I am correct this is a viewpoint shared by more people than I care to admit that I know. They love the idea of getting tattooed but could care less who does it as long as it's cheap. For them it's similar to going t-shirt shopping. You kinda killed it for me when you said you dropped 2k on a bike, but before you were talking about having to pay for your family... It's either you are trying to be cheap on a tattoo and you are doing pretty good financially or you are reckless with money and dropped 2k on a bike and now want to get tattoo as well.

I think anything that was going to be said was said, and a ton of good advice was given. I feel that you are just trying to get justification from us here on going cheap, and/or trying to find a cheap tattooer in your town.

You hit the nail on the head. I want a tattoo. I don't want to be tattooed. I had to establish a price I'm willing to pay before going in to this. I make plenty of money to get a more expensive tattoo, but based on the tattoo I want I'm not sure I would be able to tell the difference between a good one and a great one. All I want is a simple traditional style eagle. Nothing real fancy. If tattoos were my passion I would surely come up with more money. By the way, my bike is on the low end of middle-of-the-road bikes. I ride with guys who spent $2000+ just on the wheels. High end bikes are in the $7,000-10,000 range. It's an expensive hobby when you throw in all the goofy clothes, carbon fiber shoes, pedals, constant upgrades, race tires...I can only afford one hobby. I'm sure some of you are sporting $10,000 in tattoos.

Only difference is getting tattoos isn't a hobby. You can't just decide one day you don't wanna do it anymore and sell your old tatts for a profit.

Sorry but you kinda sound like a dick and I'll be surprised if the tattoo you end up posting is any good.

Like the others said I don't get the whole thing where you said your wife will be pissed cause you could be feeding the kids with the money, and then later you say you make tons of money. Just pay for a fucking good tattoo that you won't regret forever.

Anyways.. Whatever.. Over it..

Don't know how I pissed anyone off. Walked in to the shop, told them what I wanted, the guy drew something up based on a design I found, the artist said it will cost this much, I said OK. I got exactly what I was looking for and I love it. Here's the before and after. There was no cheap-ass haggling. He asked what my bugdet was, I told him, he asked if I could go higher, I said sure and it was on. Very cool guy. His name is Dale at Frontline Tattoo in Oceanside. I'm no expert, but I'd recommend him. Might even go back myself. Anyway, here's the results. I'm sure someone will critique it to death, but I am VERY happy with the way it came out. Took about 2 hours total.

Don't know how I pissed anyone off. Walked in to the shop, told them what I wanted, the guy drew something up based on a design I found, the artist said it will cost this much, I said OK. I got exactly what I was looking for and I love it. Here's the before and after. There was no cheap-ass haggling. He asked what my bugdet was, I told him, he asked if I could go higher, I said sure and it was on.

I don't know if I would say you pissed anyone off, but your first post definitely sounded like price was your primary concern, while I think that most people on this forum would be concerned about quality first and price second. Further on in the thread it looks like you have money for your toys, but not your tattoo. Then this last post is about 100% turnaround from your first - you walk into the shop not concerned about cost. It seems like your story has changed quite a bit from your original post. Just my 2 cents.