Any metalheads out there?

slayer9019

Ohhh wow. I was scrolling backward thru the thread and got to page 17 and saw the band name chart. There are songs that I remember from "back in the day" and it drives me completely bonkers googling short lyric phrases trying to figure out what those songs are---the name Grim Reaper jumps out at me, I look them up and find the title of the song I've been looking for! I can't tell you how many times I've looked for that song-all I could remember was the title, not the band. Back when I was 18/19 I had a boyfriend that would play this song (on tape of course b/c I'm old) in my car all the time. Not that I want to remember that butthole but I don't like it when I can't remember things. The only good thing to come out of that relationship was he introduced me to Pantera.

Maybe that chart will help me find the other songs I've been looking for, ha!

• 3 weeks later...

Sombres Forêts and Gris both have new albums coming out soon, the released previews sound great:

I love the way both of those bands are really pushing black metal into this really pretty and nuanced direction. I love the raw and ugly stuff too, but there are only so many Darkthrone and Ildjarn clones I can handle.

I love the way both of those bands are really pushing black metal into this really pretty and nuanced direction. I love the raw and ugly stuff too, but there are only so many Darkthrone and Ildjarn clones I can handle.

Yea agreed. The 90's BM sound in my opinion should really stay in the 90's. The super lo-fi, blast-beat, tremolo stuff that people like Darkthone put out has been a bit played out. That's why I'm glad bands like the above are expanding the sub-genre a bit. Good post!

Now for me to post up some tunes.

One of my favorite concert moments was when Laika and the Cosmonauts(finnish surfer rock instrumental band) opened for Ministry in the mid 90's. A crowd dressed in black, guys wearing collars being led around by dominatrix's, the odd grunge fellow with a lit pipe; all of them turned In unison to watch a bunch of dudes with accents, wearing Hawaiian shirts, rocking out chill tunes on stage.

After the initial collective confusion, the best part occurred when people started to slowly get into it and began dancing. A ton of people wearing their carefully constructed goth ensembles forgetting about the eventual mosh pit that would form where they were. Some of whom were actually smiling, like someone just handed the mopey kid in school a free puppy, and they could set aside their angst for a little while.

Later on that night, Ministry came on and fucking killed it, breaking the spell with a solid set and vocals that rob zombie only wishes he could maintain through a whole show.

Heh, I apologize for the nostalgia. Yar :)

• 2 weeks later...
@<a href="http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/member.php?u=130" target="_blank">dcostello</a> Godflesh is my all-time favorite band. Justin Broadrick is my hero. Just saying. It took balls to go from Napalm Death to a drum machine.

Currently listening to the new Church of Misery. Pretty damn good.

And it takes balls to do Godflesh and also do something like this:

Ive been digging the new band/album Palms with Chino Moreno's godly voice. This band isn't really metal, but since its a collaboration with members of Isis, it's kind of relevant.

I love metal music. I can't stand guttural growling and screaming. So I pretty much just enjoy bands like Deftones, Tool, etc. more recently discovered If These Trees Could Talk which has been blowing me away.