Sign in to follow this  
irezumi

Backwards letters

Pretty much all of us understand and on board with the failing of backward tattoos.

Why is backwards lettering so over-looked or dismissed by a lot of us? None of us are innocent on us, don't get me wrong. Some of us even wear it. But once I was taught about the proper method, I have never done it otherwise. And now when I see it, it's the thing my eye is drawn to the most, no matter how good the rest of it is, or who did the tattoo/drawing/painting/whatever.

I'd say that 1/3 or more people I have worked with don't know this, or have adapted to not caring even if it is pointed out. I understand the concept of missing the forest for the trees, but it's not too hard to stick with it after someone showing you.

Why is this?

No, the typeface we all use for letting in banners and signpainting and such is an adaption of Times New Roman. If you look at an example of that font vs many letters in tattoos and knuckles esp you will notice the most glaring of all, the commonly incorrently drawn 'A'. Same also for M, N, S, U, V, W, X, Y. Pretty much anything with an open end up or an open end down.

I don't really get what you mean.. I don't understand how someone could draw an capital A or Y backwards since they are symmetrical. Do you mean people putting the flourish coming off the wrong end? Or putting the double line (tradition tattoo style) on the wrong side?

Guessing he's showing the diff between the A, M, S, and N as they are properly made, vs the failed 'tattoo font'

yep, sorry about that @Shannon Shirley i was going to point out the specific letters but since it had kinda been mentioned i got lazy. it's noticeable on the font used on sampson spring and beverages.

oohhhh...I get it now...yeah ,people screw lettering up constantly.I guess if you dont have an instinctual understanding its tough. I see so many rely on the interweb fonts,which I personally find offensive in some sort of personally proud way. LEARN IT. Its so important in tattooing. So many steer away. And in the past ,many wouldnt do it, stating the ''dont do names'' as some sort of saving the masses from thier'' tattoo mistakes'' helpfullness. I do a bit of sign painting also, so I dig it. oh ,and uh,''sarsparilla''? is that northeastern? I just about never use reference and often see ,later, my own font mistakes,or is it just my own style? hehehe

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recent Posts

• My name is brenna and I’ve been getting tattoos since 2015. I just recently got my fifth and I’m starting to have second thoughts. I’m mainly here for advice. Thanks! I feel like I was swindled or just not paying attention. It didn’t look bad as a drawing and it was a short 2 hour piece on my knee. It was a Japanese style piece like all my tattoos are in memoriam for my hedgehog. At first the drawing looked fine in the outline phase but filled in and on my leg I don’t like it. He looks proportionally wrong and it just looks derpy to say the least. I want to go back and discuss with the guy but I don’t know what to say? I’ll add a picture for reference. But the head looks big and the whole piece lacks detail. I went to a guy with awards in Asian tattooing near me so idk what to do. Any advice would be appreciated. 
    • I know I am late with this post, but I wrote my own thoughts about Lyle back when he passed away, but never got around to posting them. I think it is fair to say that Lyle Tuttle was absolutely the pivotal character in bringing tattooing to a wider population. I believe there is a direct unbroken line between Tuttle tattooing Janis Joplin in 1970, and the popularity and mainstreaming of tattooing that we see today. The fact that this website exists, where people of all backgrounds are sharing their enthusiasm about tattooing is a testament to the movement that Tuttle set in motion. I was 18 when I read about Tuttle tattooing Joplin in Rolling Stone. It stoked my interest in tattooing, and I have followed it closely ever since. My girlfriend (now wife) and I – two good, normal clean scrubbed middle class kids – got tattoos a couple of years later because Tuttle made it seem accessible and appealing. Tuttle’s tattooing of Joplin generated interest by newspapers and magazines, probably in part because a woman getting a tattoo was something virtually unheard-of at that time, so articles exploiting that angle attracted readers. Nevertheless, Tuttle was quoted or referred to in almost every single one of those articles, and amazingly became the subject of a feature in in a 1972 issue of Life magazine, the most popular family publication in America at the time. He was quotable, said things in a humorous way. He was just outrageous enough to be interesting, but cleaned-up enough to be suitable for mainstream consumption. He was a character. I have read that Tuttle was somewhat controversial among some old time tattooers, some of whom viewed him as a shameless self-promoter, and resented the popularity of tattooing that he fueled, feeling that it ruined tattooing, taking away its outlaw cachet. That is a topic for another discussion, but suffice to say that Tuttle was the straw that stirred the drink. I have often wondered if the popularity of tattooing would have grown as it has – or would have grown at all – if another artist had tattooed Janis Joplin. I can easily imagine a different, more crusty tattooer at that time being interviewed after tattooing her, and saying something like, “F_ck ‘em. They want a tattoo, so I give it to them, and they pay me. Chicks, guys, I don’t care. Just so they pay me. But all these goddam hippie chicks really have no f_cking business getting tattooed. They don’t know what tattooing is about.” His quote might have made it into Rolling Stone, but would have done little to make a more conventional clientele feel good about tattooing. I doubt that he would have been widely quoted in other magazines and newspapers, and he certainly would have never made it into Life magazine. He probably would have done nothing to promote the industry to a new clientele. He would have reinforced the same decades-old perceptions of tattooing as a gritty, outsider practice carried out by outlaws on outlaws. in a sense Tuttle was precisely the right guy, in the right place, at the right time. Part showman, part salesman, part promoter. He had one foot firmly in the traditions of tattooing, and the other in the counterculture that evolved in the 1960s and 70s.  I suspect that many of us on these forums would have never gotten tattooed were it not for the wheels that Tuttle set in motion nearly fifty years ago, and the tattoo landscape of today would been much different without him.
  • Last Sparrow Tattoo Sponsors

• Instagram #LastSparrow

• Recent Topics

• Similar Content

• By nina
      Hello! So this is my second intro post, but ive taken my original idea and reworked it, Just would like some feedback. Basically, the body drawings are rough sketches, of course the feathers would be done better and the little girl would look more like the one in the pic with the long quote. The quote ive shortened to "happiness is not the absence of struggle". There's a ton of meaning behind every inch of this design and I could explain it, but really im just looking for feedback on the tattoo aesthetically. Im planning on keeping it all black ink, but if you think colour would look nice somewhere, let me know! This will be my first tattoo so all the feedback is appreciated greatly. Keep in mind these are rough sketches and my artist (who I met today!! :D ) will be drawing it out more nicely. Im likely going to have to break it up into pieces and do it over the course of the year because of cost, opposed to squeezing it into a month or two. As far as pricing goes, what do you guys think? I just want to get a few more quotes before I commit to this shop. Thanks a million!
      cant get photos to upload on post.. check out my gallery :)
    • By MrJefferyPage
      10.25 x 15.25 Archival Paper and Ink... Limited to only 50

• By Peter Mullen
      could someone suggest a type of lettering for names. i wish to put names of my 2 boys on the body..maybe one on each forearm..but i have no talent to create the lettering. also could you recommend a artist in jersey..thanks in advance for ur help:cool: