Backwards letters

irezumi

Pretty much all of us understand and on board with the failing of backward tattoos.

Why is backwards lettering so over-looked or dismissed by a lot of us? None of us are innocent on us, don't get me wrong. Some of us even wear it. But once I was taught about the proper method, I have never done it otherwise. And now when I see it, it's the thing my eye is drawn to the most, no matter how good the rest of it is, or who did the tattoo/drawing/painting/whatever.

I'd say that 1/3 or more people I have worked with don't know this, or have adapted to not caring even if it is pointed out. I understand the concept of missing the forest for the trees, but it's not too hard to stick with it after someone showing you.

Why is this?

No, the typeface we all use for letting in banners and signpainting and such is an adaption of Times New Roman. If you look at an example of that font vs many letters in tattoos and knuckles esp you will notice the most glaring of all, the commonly incorrently drawn 'A'. Same also for M, N, S, U, V, W, X, Y. Pretty much anything with an open end up or an open end down.

I don't really get what you mean.. I don't understand how someone could draw an capital A or Y backwards since they are symmetrical. Do you mean people putting the flourish coming off the wrong end? Or putting the double line (tradition tattoo style) on the wrong side?

oohhhh...I get it now...yeah ,people screw lettering up constantly.I guess if you dont have an instinctual understanding its tough. I see so many rely on the interweb fonts,which I personally find offensive in some sort of personally proud way. LEARN IT. Its so important in tattooing. So many steer away. And in the past ,many wouldnt do it, stating the ''dont do names'' as some sort of saving the masses from thier'' tattoo mistakes'' helpfullness. I do a bit of sign painting also, so I dig it. oh ,and uh,''sarsparilla''? is that northeastern? I just about never use reference and often see ,later, my own font mistakes,or is it just my own style? hehehe