Lightest Handed Tattooer

jade1955

I got some ghost flames near my armpit from Horimasa of the Horitoshi family. He hand-shaded it (tebori), and believe it or not, I barely felt it. I asked my wife if he was putting in color. She couldn't believe I had to ask her.

th_Tattoo009.jpg

I'd also like to nominate not Chris Treviño as the lightest handed tattooer.

got my first tattoo on the inside of my left bicep, thought it hurt so fucking bad.

got one a while later same spot other side, by jaie and really it felt pretty good. not bad at all. was kinda dreading it.

both tattoos with big solid lines and pretty solid color.

bob at perfection seems to take it pretty easy i think. the little spider i got on my bicep just above the ditch on my arm was pretty enjoyable.

cris cleen wasn't bad but that thing was also on the outside of my arm.

jaie devore put something in the same spot on the other arm and that was an easy sit too. jaie put something on the inside of my calf, midway between the ankle and knee, kinda rotated towards the shin bone a bit and that thing hurt. alot. so sharp and hot there.

dammit, i want a piece from chris but hearing you say that...makes me feel no rush to get that done. lol.

As a newbie here at LS, if I may put in my 2 cents...After one particular experience, I make sure I'm properly "prepared" to get tattooed these days (and it has been a while)but........

........Years ago, I received a tattoo from Kevin Starai on my left pectoral (chest), and I found it to be one of the easier tattoos I had received. But, when I had an appt. at Hell City to have it finished, I had a HORRIBLE time! Being at the convention, I had been partying for a couple of days since I was just attending and not working. Well I was already feeling hung over and miserable, and hoped that getting tattooed would snap me out of it,WRONG! Since then, I make sure I eat right, stay sober, and most important, get a good nights rest the night before I get worked on, and I've had much better experiences....In fact, just typing this is making me want to get some work. hhhmmmmmm...... maybe I just feel like eating and sleeping?

Ron Wells did a gypsy on the side of my calf, he was done in no time and I barely felt it.

Really? Ron did my thigh, and it was the most painful tattoo I have had so far. :/

Jason McAfee did my chest, and it was pretty painless, but it was also a short session tattoo. Nick Colella did my inner bicep, and that was probabaly the least pain I have had getting tattooed, but again, it was only a very short time under the needle.

Really? Ron did my thigh, and it was the most painful tattoo I have had so far. :/

Ron did my hip a couple weeks ago, and it wasn't too bad at all, but it only took an hour or so. Three Kings is an awesomely distracting shop to get tattooed in, which I bet helped too. It was one of the less painful tattoos I've gotten.

The air compression machines seem to make the work light handed for the artist too, IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

As a newbie here at LS, if I may put in my 2 cents...After one particular experience, I make sure I'm properly "prepared" to get tattooed these days (and it has been a while)but........

........Years ago, I received a tattoo from Kevin Starai on my left pectoral (chest), and I found it to be one of the easier tattoos I had received. But, when I had an appt. at Hell City to have it finished, I had a HORRIBLE time! Being at the convention, I had been partying for a couple of days since I was just attending and not working. Well I was already feeling hung over and miserable, and hoped that getting tattooed would snap me out of it,WRONG! Since then, I make sure I eat right, stay sober, and most important, get a good nights rest the night before I get worked on, and I've had much better experiences....In fact, just typing this is making me want to get some work. hhhmmmmmm...... maybe I just feel like eating and sleeping?

Yup, I went out the night before one of the sessions on my shin. Was only meant to be a couple of drinks... NEK MINNIT the sun was coming up and I was just getting home. Appointment was in about 4 hours, had 3 hours sleep, a shower, skulled some gatorade along the way..... I could only sit for like an hour, it was the worst experience of my life. Now I dont drink or go out for a couple days in advance, eat well and drink a shitload of water leading up to it. It makes all the difference.

Neato...someone quoted my first post here on LS; thank you very much. Well, as long as were on this subject, I'd like to share a couple of experiences that I feel are pretty interesting...they've become lore amongst the friends and artists I work around, so I hope you dig 'em too.

FIRST- During my apprenticeship, in 1992, my mentor, Mr. G at The Ink Zone Tattoo in Lodi N.J. taught me an important lesson in the things I may do to my clients as a professional tattooist, and how they may feel.....with the educational variable of how they were "supposed" to feel. Both Mr.G and I did small to moderate sized areas of "needle work", using a solution of distilled water and Green Soap so as not to make any permanent marks, since this was just an exercise, and "tattooed" almost every conceivable part of my body.....EVERY PART! Some of these sessions consisted of up to 3hrs. of work, punctuated by direction and Q&A. I've felt confident during the span of my career giving answers to the popular client question," where do you think it hurts the worst? " based on my personal experience. Now wait...I admit, I may not have full knowledge of what longer sessions feel like in many areas, or what it feels like to receive work in those same places by an artist with the determination to make solid and or bold lines, as well as solid color and or perfect blends. ( Man, please excuse my grammar today!) Since then, I have taught two "students" most of what I knew about the art of tattooing, who, with encouragement to also develop techniques on their own based on the unique strengths they possessed, but regretfully, did not put them through the same rigors of understanding the "feel" like my mentor had with me. I remembered that I had a tough time healing these areas, and while I didn't necessarily get infections, I did experience the "crash" of my immune system when I got a lot of this "green soap work" at once. To this day, longer amounts of needle time seem to make my ear, nose, and throat system act up. This is why i chose not to pass on the lesson, but nevertheless, both of my students became very talented, accomplished tattooists. Smiles.

Well, since that got rather wordy, I'll make the 2nd and 3rd stories quick.....I had Grime begin my sleeve/chest plate in 2 sessions, but 4 days apart. He was on a guest tour, and I reserved as much time as I could, and he informed me that by keeping the 1st days work wrapped until the next session, I'd be fine.

I also had 2 artist work on me at one time. They were guests at my shop during our local tattoo convention.

Both of these experiences were very educational, and I feel I can now give advice regarding them. Both hurt a lot, and the particularly "extreme" parts of both felt unlike any other tattoo I've ever received. Both sucked and I'll never do either again...I would advise the same, LOL. The end. I hope no one fell asleep....

awesome, Stell is a must IMO, he did the panther in my avatar and honestly id wasn't too bad but everyone reacts differently. The LST Chief @Scott Sylvia is going to do a Backpiece for me, so heavy hands aren't a deterrent for me

I had a skull done by Stell in the ditch on my left arm. True it didn't tickle but it was the easiest heal I've had. Definitely a must to get something from him....