Backpiece one artist or several?

Scott R

I have been getting laser sessions to get a back piece. Over the last year I have thought it only make sense for one artist to do all the work. Over the last few days I have began tossing around having 3 big tattoos on the back possibly 3 different artists and then figuring out the rest.

Would this be something I would need to discuss before hand if I have a good idea of what I want say Eagle,Skull and swords.

Whats the cons in doing this? I mean so far my torso is just 2 big pieces and I want a few more then may see about smaller stuff then finally stars/dots or just leave be. Should back be any different? why?

I am going thru this right now.... Adding to existing work on back, by two other people...

You need have a firm grasp about what exactly you want, for yourself...

Make sure that you convey that you want an overall uniform feel and look... and be sure to find people you are comfortable communicating what you want and how you want it. Never let people cool guy you into an idea... When in doubt always sleep on it.

When getting my back done, I am going to have either one person do it, or have it done as a collaboration between a couple of artists, either way it will be one continuous piece from my neck to the bends of my knees, that said it is going to be one piece. I don't see any problem in having a couple artist work on different pieces.

The main large image on my back was done by one artist. I know you've seen the almost complete photos in the back piece thread. I am planning on getting some other tattoos around it by other people to fill out the space. Probably roses, each one from someone else. Or something along those lines. Like the others said just make sure you have a good idea of what you're doing before you start ! Oh, and post pics for us ;)

How amazing would it be to have a black heart back piece ! Get one from each, Scott, Tim, Rassier and Juan! Then get Cody and Nick to do some bad ass filler like they learned at Inksmith !

The main large image on my back was done by one artist. I know you've seen the almost complete photos in the back piece thread. I am planning on getting some other tattoos around it by other people to fill out the space. Probably roses, each one from someone else. Or something along those lines. Like the others said just make sure you have a good idea of what you're doing before you start ! Oh, and post pics for us ;)

How amazing would it be to have a black heart back piece ! Get one from each, Scott, Tim, Rassier and Juan! Then get Cody and Nick to do some bad ass filler like they learned at Inksmith !

Fuck yes Ursula thats why I started thinking about this how bad ass would it be to have a ,stell,silvia and wilson piece or a kuhn,robson and flatmo tattoo. The options are endless and exciting to think about. I know it would take alot of doing but its intriguing to say the least. I am honestly looking for someone to give me a good reason to shoot this idea down.

I started out adding single tattoos all over my body.....so I am going to say for me that I personally like the sort of "patchwork quilt" I have become with many different artists all tattooing me all over (including my back)

BUT....I do also enjoy the visual appeal of one artist doing a large piece on someones back!

I would say this really has to be what you want it to be as it is a personal preference!

But it would be cool if you were doing a large piece to have one person do the lining and black shading and another one do the color....kind of the way shops were more like an assembly line back in the old days!

The back's some prime real estate and the largest uninterrupted/undivided piece of space so it seems counterproductive to section it off it with competing tattoos. I think it's an awesome idea to do something collaborative. Like that battle royal or Ursula's idea to have one central image kind of framed out with others. In the end, both of these are cohesive. That's key to me.

So I guess the short answer is that whether it is one artist or a collaborative effort it should be planned as such and each artist shoudl get that they're part of a process so they can make it work. It's cool to have them working on pieces of a puzzle but in my opinion it looks best when they're all working on the *same* puzzle.

I generally like the look of one artist doing the work. More cohesive. But I certainly understand the compulsion to get tattoooed by lots of different and great artists. I have some "unplanned, serial collaborations" and although the individual tattoos are good, the body of work doesn't have the flow it should and the vibe is kinda disrupted.

For a back piece, I'd want one artist or possibly two working together, at the same time.

I think this idea could make an amazing tattoo, but I think the key if you want one solid piece is to find two guys working at the same shop and make this a total collaboration. I am kind of in the process of doing this with my back. I had a couple tattoos at the top of my shoulders but they kind of work with what I am going, but basically I split my back in half, had one guy do top one guy do the bottom but had they rough sketched the whole are so they can tie both tattoos together. So far I have one more session left on the top half ( eagle) then I get to start on bottom half (pharaoh's horses). The hardest part about it for me is getting it done at the shop I work at is I only have time to work on it when it is slow and I am usually on there on your typical busy days. If you are going to travel to get this done I would make sure you commit to being able to do a session at least once a month and possibly getting back to back sessions on the weekend ( one with each person), especially once the outline and/ or outlines are healed and you don't have to worry so much about going over skin that was just freshly tattooed.