Total newbie

Anisya

Hallo all.

I am committed to becoming a tattoo artist. I am not looking for advice, really, just wanted to introduce myself. The problem is that I recently changed the country of residence and I don't know that many people here....this is why I am online quite often, looking for honest people with whom I can talk tattoos, designs, blackwork and modern graphic tattoos.

I know it will take years of hard work before I can call myself a tattooist. But this way or the other I will make it someday! My plan is to start with a paid one-to-one tuition and then practice on synthetic skin. Create portfolio, seek apprenticeship. I've started a blog where I will be posting my work soon:

Hallo world « anisyatattoo

Please have a look if you've got a minute. I hope I am not totally useless, but honesty might save me disappointment....

Thank You All

Anisya

Your drawings are really nice. You have a good understanding of light source. I would really spend some time looking at the classics, because once you get those fundamentals down and learn the mechanics, you'll be able to experiment with lots of styles. The obvious starting points would be Cap. Coleman, Huck Spaulding, Paul Rogers, Sailor Jerry, Stoney St. Clair, Hardy, Zeke Owen, Thom Devita. Then from their, Dan Higgs, Filip Leu, Timothy Hoyer, Grime, Richard Stell, Scott Sylvia, Lehi. And then dudes like Danny Reed, Andrew Conner, Will Lollie, Brian Bruno, etc. Immerse yourself in these people's work, b/c they know what tattoos are, and they know how to make them. All this hot shiny stuff that people are doing now won't hold up over time, so enjoy it for the art. A tattoo should look like a tattoo. But, this is just my humble opinion. I know there are many others.

Your drawings are really nice. You have a good understanding of light source. I would really spend some time looking at the classics, because once you get those fundamentals down and learn the mechanics, you'll be able to experiment with lots of styles. The obvious starting points would be Cap. Coleman, Huck Spaulding, Paul Rogers, Sailor Jerry, Stoney St. Clair, Hardy, Zeke Owen...

Thank you for the great advice. I am planning to start making tattoo designs once I know better how it transfers onto skin. Those sketches are just to show that I do have some drawing skills. And yes, I will be doing more traditional designs but I am actually European. I don't want to sound disrespectful but I don't know anyone with a traditional tatoo like that. European style is influenced by fine art (I am not claiming to be an artist though), but I don't want to limit my influences. I love the idea of tradition and history associated with tattoing in the US and this style will be excellent to practice clean lines! I also think it is popular in the UK, where I currently live so yes, I'll get into it.

Anisya

I have observed that sometimes the Tattooers here at LST are a little cold to folks that join the community looking for feedback, tips, pointers, info etc etc..

Oh yeah, I noticed that on other forums. People can be quite unpleasent as they have been working really hard to get where they are and some newcommers think they can just sign-up and learn the trade online.

I am booked for training with a professional tattoo artist so I am not here to ask anything, just to chat a bit, get to know the people and their art. So far no one has told me to forget the whole 'becoming a tattoo artist' business and that is a great feedback for me. It's a very nice place to be, this forum is :)

Anisya

Wow! I love Grime! Thanks for sharing. His art is just outstanding, I don't even know a word in English that could describe it! I love the flash art website too. It is not the thing I am used to. Just out of curiosity I'd like you to have a look at 2 of my mates pages. They both come from Krakow, my City, and what they do is basically what I am used to. I suppose we don't have the old school traditions because of the iron curtain, but I might be wrong....

Kamil Tattoos

Piotr Deadi Dedel « – TattooArtProject.com – The best realistic tattoo artists in the world.

There is a lot of this type of work happening over here in the states (some call it new-school). It's very painterly, which can be cool. I'm not as drawn to it, but some are, it takes all kinds, you know? As for European artists, there are some that I really dig or that are really well-known (you probably already know about them):

Filip Leu - Leu Family Iron

XAM - Xam — The Family Business Tattoo Shop

Deno Jr - https://www.facebook.com/denotattoo

But yeah, good luck with everything.