Thought I would share some machine ideas with you guys. I like building single coil machines so here are a few designs. The first one is an antique looking standard sprung machine. I love building knarly old looking stuff. The second is an adjustable compression spring design that I came up with that works really well. The third is a design that took me a while to get the right setup but I finally got it. Really lite weight due to no sideplate and these things are badass. Larry

100_5864-1.jpg

100_5865-1.jpg

100_5858-1.jpg

100_5859-1.jpg

100_5856-1.jpg

100_5868-1.jpg

Larry - the single coils are really cool. What can you tell me about the way they run vs any conventional machines you've put together in the past? I had someone once waxing tattoo with me about how his side-by-sides ran but I got the sinking suspicion he was regurgitating what the guy who sold 'em to him said. I'd love to hear your thoughts about the efficiency and comparitive readings.

I guess the first thing people want to know is what there power capabilities are compared to 2 coil machines. These single coil machines are set up as shaders and have no problem pushing needle groups up to 13 mags. I personally don't use groupings bigger than that though. I would say there is definitely some difference in power between the two set ups but it isn't drastic. When set up as shaders I like using them for 7-11 mags. I do go to a 2 coil machine when I use a 13, it just has that little more oomph I like. Set up for lining they can perform just fine for most groupings.

As far as the numbers go, wether its a single or dual coil I adjust both with similar numbers. Larry

Larry - do you find there's a certain finished, healed prodcut that you can acheive with the single coil that you actually could NOT with a more traditional 2 coil set up? I'm wondering if you can get some softer, broader shading in the healed product when you're using something that, like you said, has less oomph.

To answer the first question....no not really. The main factor in a good healed tattoo is in the artist's technique. I can setup a single coil machine to hit hard or soft as well as a dual coil machine. With a dual coil machine your going to have a stronger magnet basically so it would be a better and more capable choice for larger groupings.

Matt I'm not quite sure what the Sailor Jerry setup is like and how it compares to the setup I have on mine. I will say that my design does have its limitations with this layout. By looking at it you would almost think its a liner but this is indeed a shader. I played with quite a few setups and this is what I settled on. The speed is fairly low and good for shading but I could not get this design to work as a liner, just to slow. Larry

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

100_5868-1.jpg

that's an intelligent way of placing the "front" spring on a reverse machine. I'm sick of seeing tons of these with abused springs!

nice to find you here Larry, I know this thread is quite old, but I don't visit the forum very often. cheers mate! always amazed to see your machines!

• 3 months later...