New Florida Law... Joe Capobianco writting....Needles and Sins entry....

Sorry if this is either cluttered or if any of this has been posted already. I did search and didn't find it posted yet. As for the possible clutter I thought this would be better than 3 separate posts.

The first is a link to a piece Joe Capobianco wrote for the Huffington Post about the "history" of tattooing. Nothing really controversial, but an interesting read. The second is an article about the possibly controversial new law in Florida regarding tattooing.... I'll wait to see what others say before I give my opinion on that. Third is an entry from the Needles and Sins blog about the upcoming show "Best Ink". I found myself somewhat ashamedly hooked on Ink Master, and imagine I may end up equally drawn to this show. There will certainly be aspects of it that make me want to throw stuff and my TV, but I think the article sums things up pretty good.

Cheers!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-capobianco/tattoo-art-best-ink_b_1375235.html

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2012-03-15/news/a-new-law-pits-florida-tattoo-artists-against-one-another/

Needles and Sins Tattoo Blog | "Best Ink" Premiers Tonight

Concerning the article from Miami about the FL laws.

It should be illegal to tattoo out of your home.

The tattoos it showed the artist "fixing" were just as bad if not worse than the tattoo he "fixed".

Any journalist worth a fuck wouldn't be interviewing someone who's never worked in a shop, never had an apprenticeship, and who doesn't know what the fuck they are doing.

So in conclusion, just another bunch of totally ridiculous bullshit. That guy to me, is in the same boat as all the others that we've called "finger breaking worthy".

I think a lot of the people illegitimately tattooing in Florida are tattooing strictly for the all mighty dollar. The one person quoted as saying ''The only way to pay my fines for tattooing is by doing more tattoos" .Or they could get another job. If you strive to keep doing better, cleaner work and your work is your focus, you will become better and money will be their when you need it. It is a privilege have some one ask you to adorn their body, not a way to make a quick buck. I hope those laws weed out people who are in it for the wrong reason. And I

agree with Ursala, that rework still looked bad.

They say the same kinds of things in Oregon, that they are going to crack down on people tattooing out of their house and attach these huge fines and penalties to getting caught, but really no one is there to enforce them. They seem more concerned with discussing mundane policy changes for established tattooers that really do nothing to increase public health The last person I heard of being caught for tattooing out of their house only got caught because the minor he was tattooing, overdosed on heroin and died while getting the tattoo at his house. Funny how the news story had more emphasis on tattooing than drugs, which is what killed that poor girl. But yeah this shit is out of hand, people shouldn't be running tattoo operations out of their house. I am not talking about the 16 year olds with homemade machines or even what people in shops do for fun on their off time , I am talking about grown ass people trying to make a living and portray themselves as a viable alternative to a shop.

I don't think it's a horrible idea to limit the amount of shops in a city,although I can see the conflict of interest in leaving that solely up to shop owners in that particular city, but on the other hand what is the alternative have some committee who knows nothing about tattooing basically just let anyone in that will pay them off.

Every week some new shops opens up, they are lucky if they last till winter, then it gets slow they fold and another shops opens up in spring does the same thing. I don't have the answer, but this whole feel sorry for me I tattoo out of my house thing is pretty lame. It's been illegal the whole time, they should be lucky they get a warning.

Reality - some people care very little about the quality of their tattoo, they just want a tattoo. And some of these people want the best possible 'deal' (first cost) on the tattoo. And still some people think it's cool to get tattooed by their friend in his house while getting stoned. It's part of the experience and (old-school, underground) tradition for them! And it's a valid argument in a free world. Not for me, however, and it's not for me to say or assess someone else's risk tolerance.

Perhaps it's like religion and politics, in that we tend to create the 'tattoo tradition' in our own (individual) image.

I know, I know -- it's nothing like religion, nor politics, it's like tattooing and tattooing is different. :rolleyes:

I've been thinking about it since I posted this, and I think they should let people do as they please. The more people end up with jacked up infected garbage and shit that looks like a blind asshole tattooed it on them the better I think the good stuff looks. You know the best way to teach someone not to get tattooed by his buddy in the kitchen? Let him get a case of MRSA that eats 1/2 the flesh off his arm and leaves him with a limb that looks like it's been through a wood chipper..... ;-)

those laws arent there to actually stop "scratchers" but to make revenue for the state.

And to justify the people on these boards having a job. Most of the money generated from these laws are coming from real shops. It's hard to squeeze money out of people who operate outside of this system ie.. tattoo out of their house with no license.

those laws arent there to actually stop "scratchers" but to make revenue for the state.

Which is SOOOOO true, Florida is a sponge state for when it needs money. Any way they can see that they can get that dollar from you, they WILL!