New from southwest Missouri

Guest James Staples VI

Guest James Staples VI

Greetings! I am new to this forum. I found it because I am so frustrated. i want a palm tattoo, and every artist I go to refuses to even discuss it as they will wear off within a year . Maybe , maybe not, I would really like to hear someone who can unbiasedly tell me the truth rather than shut me down before I finish my sentace. Frankly, I think a good artist would not have the problem.

?...Frankly, I think a good artist would not have the problem.

Not necessarily true. The best artists in the world can't contend with the limitations of the human body. Some areas are resistant to being tattooed and some will downright fight the tattooing/healing process all the way. That certainly doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be done. That's anybody's call. Certainly, you'll find...ahem...a handful of well healed palm tattoos but it's case to case on how it's gonna work out and you won't know til you've gotten it.

My approach is to tell my clients plainly that it's prone to falling out (it would be a disservice not to) and that I can't guarantee it like my other work. If they know going into it it is likely to fall out and maintenance is going to happen to give it it's best shot at a solid heal, I've got an informed client on my hands and will respect their ability to make an informed decision...but respect the fact that some tattooers don't want to invest their time and reputation into what could very well end up looking like a handful of dirty specks.

Find an artist who is both a good fit for your design artistically *and* a particularly good technician and explain that you understand and accept the low success rate and are willing to keep working at it if need be and hope for the best. Also, keep the design simple and bold. Subtlety is likely to be the first thing to go.

Fwiw, I've been tattooing for over 11 years and have experience with most parts of the body.

...and welcome to the forum.

It can be done, obviously it's not easy and their is a good chance their will be some spots that need to get touched up. The palm is the one spot where we actually don't do a free touch up on, but that is just our policy.

Once it's healed it will look like you have had the tattoo for awhile for sure, it's not like a tattoo on your arm. There is a thread on this topic and you will find some examples of what a palm tattoo might age like. I don't know any tattooers in Missouri that I can think of, If you were in Portland I know a few guys that have experience doing palm tattoos and are willing to do them.

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-designs/620-palm-tattoos.html

There's definitely some good examples of healed palms on that thread. This board has a higher caliber of artists than you'll find just bumping around locally too.

I didn't intend to sound overly negative. It was that the poster came across as saying if you're good you can do it. I'm just saying we all heal differently and there's a greatly increased likelihood with that spot that it won't hold up. No artist is in control of another person's physiological variables.

Guest James Staples VI

Oh, I gots lotsa room, I have seen some pics of some pretty complicated looking work, and my idea seems pretty simple, (Lotus with an OM 'dawning' out of it.

I think at this point I am mostly just being bitchy.

Oh, I gots lotsa room, I have seen some pics of some pretty complicated looking work, and my idea seems pretty simple, (Lotus with an OM 'dawning' out of it.

I think at this point I am mostly just being bitchy.

You having lots of room may be part of the equation, James.

There are some tattooers who feel that 'public' tattoos- hands, neck, fingers, faces- are better suited to people who've already significantly covered.

What folks were saying is that there might be more than one dynamic at play here.

Agreed. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing someone with their throat and hands done, but with nothing else. Not saying you are that type of fella. I won't get my hands and throat done until everything else is almost done, but it will happen eventually. I can't wait to be the Dad who shows up to PTA meetings wearing Dad clothes but covered in rad tattoos.