Grimacing and Moaning

hgiles

I really try to sit still as possible and not make any noise nor weird facial expressions, but when I got my rib panel outlined I couldn't help it. I was involuntarily twitching and grimacing a lot... I guess my question is how do artists deal with this? Does it not bother them at all or what? I always thought it'd be a pain in the ass to deal with, but maybe they can just ignore it?

FWIW, I didn't make any noise (moaning) and the artist said I sat "like a corpse", but I hardly think so. I am just not looking forward to having this thing finished in a few weeks. Nor having my other rib panel started.

I had my ribs done by Steve Byrne and one of the artists at the shop commented on how I was "sitting like a rock". Truth is it was painful but I was too scared to make it hard for Steve haha.

At the time though Chad K was doing a thigh eagle in another room and the lad was all over the place. I know when Chad came into our room afterwards he wasn't too impressed by how he was moving and carrying on.

I think depending on the artist and how they're feeling that day would determine it but if you try your best to stay still and relaxed I'm sure they will appreciate it.

From time to time I will have a little twitch on more sensitive areas (ex. armpit), but for the most part not really. I have never moaned etc but I did grimace pretty bad my last session. 2.5-3 hours of almost solid black fill in my innner bicep. It wasnt bad until he cleaned it over and over again, my pain tolerance just gave up. It's funny how much a paper towel and soap can hurt!

The only bad time I had with a tattoo was my foot... started biting my fingers after the first little bit since it bloody hurt! But the end result made enduring it that much more better.

I agree with slayer on the green soap, I always twitch with the soap more than the needles close to the end :P

They all hurt. I tell any one getting any serious torso work that it is a commitment, and they will be enduring a great deal more pain then most common spots on the limbs. I do not agree with anyone taking pills, or any kind of numbing agent before getting tattooed. I feel you are robbing yourself of the pride you can feel having earned every hour in the chair. I almost always have a beer afterwards though. Yes I agree, the upper side meat hurts.

From time to time I will have a little twitch on more sensitive areas (ex. armpit), but for the most part not really. I have never moaned etc but I did grimace pretty bad my last session. 2.5-3 hours of almost solid black fill in my innner bicep. It wasnt bad until he cleaned it over and over again, my pain tolerance just gave up. It's funny how much a paper towel and soap can hurt!

Agree about the paper towels. Towards the end of my 2nd consecutive day on my thigh it wasn't the pins that were bothering me it was the wiping over freshly tattooed skin.

Yeah, I find that after 4-5 hours, the wiping starts to hurt more than the needles. The only time I ever yelped was when we went over the top of the kneecap. There was also this weird reaction at one point where I was just relaxing away, concentrating on my breathing, just being mellow...and the needle hit...something. I don't remember where this was, but I do remember my hand suddenly coming up in a fist and start heading towards the artist.

That reaction actually scared me because, despite years of Muay Thai training, I'm very non-violent (never had to fight anyone outside the ring, and even that was just sparring, and I've been reprimanded for being too nice then!). I caught myself before hitting anything/anyone, obviously, but we still joke about it, where he says during that split second, he thought for sure he was getting punched.

Odd reflex, for sure.