So I think I'm in the clear for asking this question... at least I hope since Im not asking for anything application related... but I was wondering what everyone uses to carry their gear in when traveling? I've been looking at the huge pelican cases but wanted to know if there is anything better I should be looking at? Thanks.

if somehow i crossed a line with someone by asking this... then sorry.

I use a discreet small suitcase. This is for when I'm travelling to a convention out o town and I HAVE to bring all my stuff with me. If I'm in that situation, I use a discreet, small suitcase and pack it really strategically so that everything is tetris'ed in with everything else. Pelican cases scare me because they scream "WORK EQUIPMENT." Also, if you're looking to have safety with them - I've known several people shcocked to find that the Pelican promise of being water tight and super safe was not at much a promise but a suggestion. Haha. They're a lot of money. Granted, I have 2, but I use them wisely.

Whenever possible, see what you can ship to the shop ahead of time. It's the new way of doing things it seems and saves your ass.

I personally was caught with work gear and turned around on my way into Maryland. It haunts me - I can't even take connecting flights through the states without risking losing my vacation. So... I guess what I'm saying is luggage matters in a lot of ways, especially in being discreet and passing through without tempting them to open up your shit.

very true. if i was coming up into canada i would take a lot of extra precautions. when I was in a band and did a lot of touring in canada i had to go through a lot of that shit with our merch. the border actually seized all our merch and we had to buy it back. ive been turned away as well before. but im not too concerned with the border at the moment. if i was to come up your way id be mailing everything. but most of the traveling im going to be doing is in the states.

Good to bank these answers in the back of your brain for when you do choose to do some travelling into more distant territory - the worst thing in the world is getting turned away and going home. That long trip back home is a good few hours to just sit and think about how stupid you feel. LOL. Everytime I cross the border now, it's such a huge issue. The only time it's not is if I get a lazybones border guard who just swipes me through and doesn't bother to ask shit.

• 1 month later...
very true. if i was coming up into canada i would take a lot of extra precautions. when I was in a band and did a lot of touring in canada i had to go through a lot of that shit with our merch. the border actually seized all our merch and we had to buy it back.

Pretty sure this is why The Melvins almost never play in Canada anymore.

• 5 months later...

Interesting thread! Just gonna post what I figured workes best for me.. In europe flying with cheap airlines we're very restricted on luggage waight so most airlines wouldn't tolerate more than 20 kg check-in luggage and 10kg hand luggage or you have to pay rediculus money for every kilo more than that.. So I got for my machines (which I always bring as carry on) a very light and handy padded pellet gun case.. And the rest goes in light Tupperware between my cloth and stuff in the normal suitcase.. Colours of course in individual little sandwich bags before I put them in the right sized Tupperware cause there is usually always one that pops.. Would definitely appreciate any new tricks with bringing the oul inks...

• 1 month later...

i use a pelican case for my machines and power supply. i put my inks in my luggage in a tupperware and each bottle is individually double (thin) ziplock bagged. open all your ink bottles in the bag prior to use and let air pressure do its thing. I have been very embarressed by a bottle that blasted ink everywhere when opened outside of bag next to client.