traditional american tattooing books

so i have "1,000 Tattoos" and "Vintage Tattoos: the book of old-school skin art"

both have been great. can anyone point me toward some other books? not really interested in traditional japanese stuff, however relevant. just American for me

D

I heard that Cindy Ray put a book out in her prime that was kind of a do's and don'ts of tattooing. I always find stuff like that interesting and I really want that book. Does anyone have it or know if they come up at all? Any info would be cool. On the same note The Jensen book that came out a few years ago is awesome, and the lost art book is pretty cool too.

• 1 month later...
@TravisGarcia Getting a hold of that book is almost as difficult as getting an ROA from the man himself. I've been searching for that book for about a year and have only come up empty handed.

it's available from a number of places, it just costs quite a bit. i found it somewhere for something like €21 about a month ago (somewhere around or under $30 probably) but they only shipped within germany.

I don't doubt it's a hard to find book but totally worth every cent. It's got some cool twists on the ROA and a story Capt. Don made up which is pretty funny.

"I got to studying this Rock of Ages; I had a picture of it either Lyle or Lee Roy had taken. I had recently read a story about New Orleans when it was owned by the French before the U.S. bought it. So I looked at this thing and made this story up, myself; this is strictly out of my head:

Now ladies and gentlemen, years ago, before we bought it from the French. New Orleans was known as a haven for pirates and people who robbed on the high seas. It was known for its brothels and bars. There was a story that the only way you could get saved from a life of prostitution- they say the greatest sin is blasephmy- but the only way you get saved from prostitution, which was a wicked, wicked, sin-was that way out at sea, there was a mound of rocks. And the sea, pounding on this one rock, throughout the ages, had formed a cross on it. It was actually a miracle. It was formed that way with the help of Divinity. The only way you could be saved from prostitution was if you went to sea in search of this rock, and found it.

One lady who sold her favors for many years made a lot of money and bought her own brothel. These motley crews of pirates came these nightly to drink and patronize her girls. As she was becoming an elderly woman, she decided she wanted to ask Jesus to forgive her, so she hired a captain and crew and they put to sea in search of the Rock of Ages. Somewhere in their journey they did find it; but because the captain and crew were all sinners, a storm brewed up, tore that ship to pieces, and killed them. She dove overboard, with the scriptures in her hand, and crawled up on the mound of rocks. She's looking up into the heavens and asking forgiveness. You can see that she has been granted her prayer, because now the storm is fading away, angels are forming about, and the sun is rising on the horizon."

Currently working on my rock of ages back piece and am glad I got to look at that book before starting it.

@TravisGarcia Getting a hold of that book is almost as difficult as getting an ROA from the man himself. I've been searching for that book for about a year and have only come up empty handed.

Amazon.com: Used and New: Rocks of Ages: Being a Celebration & Manifestation of the Historic & Enigmatic Epidermal Icon As Seen by Various Artists

$67 really isnt that bad for an out-of-print awesome book. I would buy it if i didnt own a copy already.

Or, if you just want to look at it (and perhaps scan or photograph it) you can always use the inter-library loan program. I've had the chance to pore over multiple books that I would never have the chance to see or afford to buy.

Public libraries for the win!

Who are the best traditional American artist's in the east coast area?

That seems like a loaded question. Names that pop into my head are Mike Schweigert, Murray Sell, Bailey Hunter Robinson, Ron Henry Wells, Chad Koeplinger, Bart Bingham, but there are way too many to list. Of course there is also the issue of what one person considers traditional.

Can American traditional tattoos be used in place for coverups? The reason why I asked this question here is because I don't see a thread made about traditional american artist such as steve boltz ,and I don't have enough posts to start my own.

depends what you're trying to cover up. every situation for a cover-up is different. i suggest just going to a local tattoo artist and show them what you need to cover. having someone with experience see it in person will be able to give them the chance to see what needs to be done, and with what type of tattoo.